Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another TDC question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another TDC question

Doing the belts/wp/roller/front reseal on my 944T and finding my TDC marks not lining up. The camshaft timing looks good, but the lower balance shaft and top balance shaft marks are both off.

I cannot read the bellhousing TDC mark by the reference sensors, too much crap in the way.

I have checked the flywheel and found the raised line off by 1inch from the starter/bellhousing notch. What's even stranger is I get significant resistance when trying to rotate the engine over at the crank bolt trying to get TDC.

As mentioned on another site, I been driving the car for a couple of years without any issues, so where is my mistake in setting TDC for the flywheel lock?

I am following Clark's Garage as a guide.

Today as part of this major service, I have done the rear diff fluid change, oil and filter, new plugs/cap/rotor, all new coolant hoses and clamps.

Last edited by fiily; 12-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The TDC window for the fly wheel is on top of the motor on the drivers side back by the fire wall. Follow your ref/sync sensor lines they lead right to it.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:48 AM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by rlm328
The TDC window for the fly wheel is on top of the motor on the drivers side back by the fire wall. Follow your ref/sync sensor lines they lead right to it.
I can see the flywheel and the hole, just so much hanging out down there really hard to see the OT marking. I have tried moving things around, but its all very tight as we all know about these cars.

The notch in the flywheel/starter location shows that I am still off.

I do have the spark plugs in, do you think I should pull em all out for TDC and that is why it's hard as hell to turn over on the cyl#1 compression stroke?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes pull the plugs, it should be relatively easy to turn the engine just as it's passing through TDC.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Just make sure you you know where you are in the cycle if you pull the plug.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by rlm328
Just make sure you you know where you are in the cycle if you pull the plug.
I'll rotate the engine a couple of times with the spark plugs removed, just to get it on the compression stroke, then lock the flywheel.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 PM
fiily
Pro

So, ultimate bonehead here.

I pulled the plugs, tried turning the crank and still nothing. I stood there starring at the car in disbelief, and while doing that i was looking at the dash and saw the car in gear, enough said. TDC was found easily.

The engine needs a serious de-greasing also as seen in the pics, hence the need for the front seals while doing the wp/belts.

Simple green to de-grease the engine? I don't want to pressure wash the engine...might open a pandora's box.

Last edited by fiily; 12-23-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

lol, I guess you can't be too safe.
I never wash my engine, I don't want to take any chances with these old electronics. My engine bay stays fairly clean from working on it all the time. The dirt just comes off onto my hands.
Those two timing marks line up nicely. Do the other marks also line up?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:49 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave W.
lol, I guess you can't be too safe.
I never wash my engine, I don't want to take any chances with these old electronics. My engine bay stays fairly clean from working on it all the time. The dirt just comes off onto my hands.
Those two timing marks line up nicely. Do the other marks also line up?
Yes, just didn't take the picture. Flywheel and lower balance shaft marks are perfectly lined up too.

Time to get going on it, wasted too much time already.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM
FlyBoy1986
Advanced

Don't feel bad about leaving it in gear. while trying to find TDC on mine, I forgot at least twice to take it out of gear. once you get TDC it makes the feeling of stupidity disappear. lol. Good luck on the rest of the project
Old 04-20-2016, 01:52 PM
fiily
Pro

Car is running great since that time, finally took it out last weekend for a wash, claybar, polish, and wax. I forgot how it feels to drive the car after 6 months of winter hibernation.

I did everything I could get my hands on, sway bar inner/outer bushings, belts, oil seals, all new hoses & clamps, vacuum lines, balance shafts resealed, new isv hoses, flush and refilled coolant, new coolant temp., new cam tower gasket, rear cam tower cork gasket replaced, coolant temp. sensor, water pump, thermostat, p/s reservoir, resealed p/s pump, changed oil/fuel filter, and the oil was changed with vr1 20w-50.

I've enjoyed not having to touch anything for a while, just driving it. Other than rusty brake lines by the rear torsion tube carrier, the car passed inspection with flying colors.

Last edited by fiily; 04-20-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:49 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had forgotten to take out of gear last time I was setting TDC too. Felt stupid.

If the cam and flywheel marks are not both dead on the mark, then I would adjust when you install the new belt and get them both aligned. Mine are usually both pretty much dead on - if the cam is on the mark, the flywheel slot is within an 1/4" of the center of it's winndow.

Same with balance shaft marks.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:08 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do not have a helper looking for TDC while turning the crank I suggest purchasing a USB endoscope camera. They are like $30.00. It's easy enough to place it at an angle over the bell housing hole bypassing all those wires in the way. While turning the crank you can be looking at the video on a laptop. It is a handy device for working on vehicles without a helper.

Quick Reply: Another TDC question