Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

noob may have seized his engine

Old 08-06-2014, 05:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To give you some idea, this could be as simple as the throttle cable being sticky. However, it sounds more like the ICV isn't getting the consistent vacuum to control the idle. Turn the car back on and let it run for awhile, until it's warmed up. It hasn't had consistent fuel and air through it for awhile. Give it time to warm up, and settle. Then report what it's doing. A 2000 rpm idle isn't normal, but it isn't hurting anything but your ears and a bit of extra fuel usage.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM
uroboric
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright attempted to start again and now it is just clicking - is indicative of a vacuum issue or something else ignition related?
Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by uroboric
alright attempted to start again and now it is just clicking - is indicative of a vacuum issue or something else ignition related?
That's a dead battery.........
Old 08-06-2014, 08:04 PM
uroboric
Intermediate

well i left the negative unplugged for a few hours and came back to it and it gave enough juice for it to start up momentarily and then sputter out and die. i cranked it up twice actually, same result both times.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Your battery doesn't have a strong enough charge.

Okay, so what was the original problem, that first got you working on the car, when you lost the bolt? What happened that had you taking stuff apart?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You need to go crank the engine and report back if the tach bounces, when you crank it. Also, you removed the intake to replace the icv, somewhere in there is where your idle problem likely is. It's really easy to leave a vac hose loose. The other culprit could be a bad or misadjusted tps.
First let's work the starting issue. You have a batt that sat for a few weeks or more without a good alt charge cycle. It may be a bit weak. If not that, and the tach doesn't bounce, it's ref sendor wires.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 AM
uroboric
Intermediate

finally got it goin, the problems i had were due to my ignorance and inexperience with cars. the first problem i had was with the firing order. that accounts for most of the time since i had to wait for the tune up kit to arrive..the most recent problem was me running on 2 or 3 cylinders. wires were not pushed down all the way on the plugs. the reason for all of this was to replace the cycling valve, which was busted and caused me to overboost hard. i thought this was the case since i bought it, and didnt notice the busted hose until recently. hope i didnt do any damage to my engine...the car is much slower now haha.

thanks everyone for the help, i really appreciate it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of concerns similar to yours occur with these cars.

The good news is that often times it either a vacuum leak or boost leak.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So, the next time that we ask you if you suuuuure you got the plug wires right, you won't ignore us?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: noob may have seized his engine