Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Spring center vs. solid clutch disk

Old 06-11-2014, 12:53 AM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spring center vs. solid clutch disk

So, probably going to get a clutch disc from clutchnet.com for my 944 turbo racecar. Sees no street time. Should be around 300 HP to the rear wheels. Lightened flywheel and sachs PP (if it matters). Clearly a plus to the solid disc is no spring chunks getting caught if they break. What other pros and cons or characteristics define the 2 types?
Thanks!
-jay
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see the benefits of the solid disc, but I personally prefer the little bit of dampening that the sprung disc provides for the driveline... I would go with a sprung disc.

On cars with a dual mass flywheel, solid is fine. Cars with a solid flywheel should have a sprung disc.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Make sure its a 'cup' disc - they do not have the little springs that fail, only the big springs that will help with drive line shock.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:47 PM
ncbrock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No first hand experience with 944s in this area, but I feel its true with any car; A single mass flywheel with an unsprung clutch will have no slip, it will be on or off basically. With a lightweight flywheel and unsprung clutch it's really hard to get going without making all kind of funky noises due to driveline shock and the general associated noises with a LW flywheel. The plus is, if it's in a race car there is not much stop and go and theres no springs to worry about breaking.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never asked this question before, but how often in normal street driving and normal racecar environments do the sprung hubs actually fail? Sure you hear about it but is it really common enough to be worth punishing the drivetrain with a solid disc? I guess on a racecar its almost a non issue and in addition a solid hub probablu offers slightly quicker engagement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring center vs. solid clutch disk