Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:40 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange problem

Sometime last year my '86 951 track car started having intermittent drivability and idle problems. Basically the engine would start and run fine for a few minutes but as soon as it begins to warm up the idle will get really rough and the engine will begin cut out and backfire on throttle. Once the engine got above 3K RPM it will begin to clear out but still not run 100%. The symptoms immediately disappear almost entirely as soon as I disconnect the TPS. If I connect the TPS back sometimes the engine goes back to running rough and sometimes it continues to run fine. I have not been able to notice any pattern to this.

So far I have replaced the TPS, resealed the throttle body, swapped the DME, checked wires continuity, set the idle but the problem keeps coming back, not always but once in a while. Plugs, wires, rotor and coil are all fairly new. I've been running a Lindsey MAF and a Mufterburner fuels management system for a few years. I am not sure if they play a role in this.

I'm really perplexed of the fact that by disconnecting the TPS the rough idle and the engine cutting out go away. Any suggestions on what the cause might be or how to try to diagnose it will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the DME relay and check the ISV. Clark garage has the procedure to check them
Old 05-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

did you make sure that the TPS was adjusted correctly? You need to hear the click to make sure that its reporting back a closed condition. If not the DME will not go into idle mode.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been having the same issues with my car.

Hopefully you can find the problem before me
Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Phil
Check the DME relay and check the ISV. Clark garage has the procedure to check them
Phil, thank you. I thought the DME relay is binary. It either works or not. But its easy to eliminate that possibility. I'll bypass it and see if that makes a difference. I believe that I have a spare ISV somewhere. If all fails I'll swap it to see if that makes a difference. But I am not looking forward to removing the intake manifold at this point.

Originally Posted by Chris White
did you make sure that the TPS was adjusted correctly? You need to hear the click to make sure that its reporting back a closed condition. If not the DME will not go into idle mode.
Chris, thank you. The TPS is adjusted correctly but I noticed that the throttle does not always fully return to close position. I need to look at this closer. Would an open TPS cause the engine to cut out and backfire to that extend?

I'm starting to suspect a wire connected to the TPS is sorting out somewhere. As I said, the problem goes away as soon as I disconnect the TPS.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you should try unplugging your O2 sensor and see if it runs better. I was having a lot of issues with my car last week. The car wasn't idling properly, after some reading I unplugged the O2 sensor and it idles a lot better. The idle would only go wonky after warming up a bit.

I changed my O2 sensor tonight and now all,is good under the hood..... Almost.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Phil
Actually, you should try unplugging your O2 sensor and see if it runs better. I was having a lot of issues with my car last week. The car wasn't idling properly, after some reading I unplugged the O2 sensor and it idles a lot better. The idle would only go wonky after warming up a bit.

I changed my O2 sensor tonight and now all,is good under the hood..... Almost.
It is more than poor idle. The engine stumbles, cuts out and backfires like crazy. As soon as I unplug the TPS is all goes away.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Reference sensors - replace. Mike
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 AM
homerj
Rennlist Member

ill be curious to see what u find. mine has been doing this for awhile. will run great and then all of a sudden cough and choke. usually limp it home but sometimes it would just clear up. been solving other problems in the mean time so haven't been able to focus on it.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it might be the DME temp sensor. Easy one to swap out. That's where I'd start.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

With the car warmed up put a hose clamp where the ISV enters the intake manifold to test. Far easier than swapping it out.

Mine gave out and caused the symptoms you're seeing, but bypassing it electrically didn't work. It had failed and was letting air through even when closed.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Meine44
Banned

Originally Posted by blown 944
Sounds like it might be the DME temp sensor. Easy one to swap out. That's where I'd start.
+1 on the DME temp sensor.

My car is apart awaiting AOS seals and all new vacuum lines (and rebuilt T-body), and I suspect the DME temp sensor will fix the issue.

But this assumes that the car idles okay. My car idles alright, but will jolt/buck/hesitate at cruising speed. Throttle it and it keeps running, but poorly at best.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive seen these symtoms happen from a bad ignition coil, or one thats going bad.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Meine44
Banned

Any updates?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I replaced the the DME temp sensor. I let the engine idle until fully warm. I statically rev'd the engine a few times. It ran good. No cutting out whatsoever. I am cautiously optimistic that the problem has been resolved. I will know for sure when the car hits the track in a couple of weeks and I'll report back.

Quick Reply: Strange problem