Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 Turbo brake caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Like this?

Electric Yellow Powder coat, "PORSCHE" stenciled, then a Clear Powder Coat top coat...
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2014, 01:46 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you get that bit of information? It's wrong, we strip calipers down to the core and they are painted.
Black old school Brembos are anoidzed then clear coated. Red ones are powder coated. At least all have been, which i have refurbished (so far i have done around 100 calipers). I also strip calipers down to core and it is easy to see what method Porsche (or Brembo) used.1-3 thick layers won't last very long on calipers. We have used powder coated caliper under race cars without any difficulties. I suppose you drive faster in USA, so you have to use painted calipers insteadt.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Black old school Brembos are anoidzed then clear coated. Red ones are powder coated. At least all have been, which i have refurbished (so far i have done around 100 calipers). I also strip calipers down to core and it is easy to see what method Porsche (or Brembo) used.1-3 thick layers won't last very long on calipers. We have used powder coated caliper under race cars without any difficulties. I suppose you drive faster in USA, so you have to use painted calipers insteadt.
When we did our track testing we allowed the PC brake set to have over one week of dry time before putting it on the track, we noticed lots of cracking after the track-day thus we felt that this was due to the high heat generated due to thickness of the PC products, this appeared to be an issue under load. We then tested out our hard-bake finishing methods and after only 2-days (not on purpose but because the track date available) they were put to test on the track, I've attached a photo of the same set which passed without issues, still on that same test car, here in our shop!
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

These guys seem to have nice paint assortment for calipers. http://www.brake-caliper-painting.co...per_paint.html

Powdercoating is too thick and too brittle for calipers, I doubt that Brembo used standard powdercoating paint dust / technique.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

See more photos of brake calipers and restoration process steps here: CLICK-ME
Old 10-02-2014, 05:28 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ruby red finish looks amazing...

I've used the Duplicolor caliper paint to before through a Preval sprayer. I didn't even thin it...the sprayer is disposable and we'll worth the $7-8 investment.

I have a friend who uses it with G2 also.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a complete factory rebuild kit for front M030 calipers available if anyone is looking.

I was going to do mine sometime in the future but instead bought a rebuilt set of Calipers as spares.

I have all the components including Pistons, Seals, Lines and bleeders.

This post will be edited to include a price once I figure out what is fair.

Quick Reply: 89 Turbo brake caliper rebuild