944 Rod Bearing - Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hi Peder
Thanks for that. Very interesting to read. I can imagine you and your Cup cars being a major pain for guys in their modern GT3's on track days. Keep it up!
The same to you! Fantastic that these although vastly improved old cars can match modern cars at that level!

And thanks to people like Mr Mount and their knowledge we can keep doing it and hopefully keep our little engines in one piece.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
LOL, you just keep right on digging don't you....?

You further the points I make and don't even know enough to realize that you are.

Leda on a 944 is mid range shock/strut, they get better, which emphasizes what I already stated about modern suspension vs. 'Firehawk' and 'Cup's spec stuff from 30 year ago.

Do you want to see some videos from 1-3 years ago or some time sheets that you can look at where an otherwise identical car on nothing but better suspension can pull out 2-5 seconds a lap....?

Not googled stuff.....right here on my hard drive from our own cars....?

If the cars are identical in engine/power spec, how pray tell will you explain to us that car B is 2-5 seconds per lap faster....?

I can given you some hints if you can't figure it out.

This a very important issue to people who race under a rule set that won't allow sensible modifications that prolong duty cycle of a race engine from an economic standpoint.

Do you know what it takes to yank an engine, start from a bare block and have a car running in 2 weeks for the next event on a calendar......?

Of course not.......you've been debating the dullness vs. shiny appearance of the cylinder walls in the engine in your bedroom for a year now while some of us are revving these engine at 6500 rpms through 15 second duration s sections and the high g turns that destroyed the engines mentioned a few posts up.

T
Well forgive me for not living anywhere near a decent racetrack. I don't think It would be that hard to rebuild a stock engine in a hurry with a stripped out 951 and the super dominating bearing killer aftermarket ledas installed.

I don't have a use for such a racer so instead I am trying to build something spectacular and I have time to do it and elaborate everything to death in the meanwhile.

Please explain in technical terms the difference between Leda and Turbo cup's original Bilstein suspension, I'm sure there are some pretty big advancements in there somewhere for 2-5 seconds faster X lenght lap.

Gas shock is a very simple peace of technology that was invented by Bilstein and havent changed all that much in 30 years, the only difference is how good is it set up for the given task.

Last edited by Voith; 05-24-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:38 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Having better bearings is good (at least bearings that don't desintegrate with normal use) but to be honest I would rather choose oil that has the best shear resistance possible in order to prevent bearing contact with crank journal. Because that's how this is designed to work.

If oil pressure is dropping during dornering then that needs to be addressed, simple.

For a street car that sees no track time there's hardly any good reason to use dry sump, but if you have twice the power of factory 944 Turbo then good oil cooler is a necessity.
And regarding oils, agree 100% with Michael, only todays racing oils are on par with premium oils from 30 years ago.
I exclusively use Motul 300V Le Mans 20W60, ester based oil that is in fact used by real race teams in Le Mans etc.
My 2.5 16v turbo motor doesn't seem to care that I rev it to 7000rpm running 1.3-1.4 bars of boost
Old 05-25-2016, 10:27 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the premium oils like Swepco and Brad Penn that everyone loves so much considered true racing oils in this debate?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Are the premium oils like Swepco and Brad Penn that everyone loves so much considered true racing oils in this debate?
Pretty tough call and oil is as controversial as any topic where someone's preference is always "the best".....Ford vs. Chevy, Chocolate/Vanilla.

The thing is, all companies have test methods and data and claim that their additive packages are best.

For instance, some would say that at least some detergent or corrosion/rust preventative necessary and other companies state that any additive that displaces the quantity of other additives is not correct.

So....again, if you have experience with Motul or Swepco and it works for you, then you'd be prone to stick with that.

The myth that there's one correct oil is nonsense because the choice depends on factors like target operating range, temperature, engine clearances, etc.

Back on topic with the MM rod bearing mod, I think not only is the bearing a higher quality, but when you read about oils, and the forces that oil designers are faced with, you'd learn that it's the center of the rod bearing that's under the most load because as oil is "squished", it travels the only path it has, outwards to the side clearance. Knowing that these bearings are narrower, it seems logical that there's more a quantity of oil where the shell used to extend across the entire cap and big end. There's a term for this oil, it's "hydro" wedge or something or other and I think this could play a part in prolonging the life of the bearings at high rpm and also deliver more expended splash to the cylinder walls.

Either way...., I'm not changing horses in mid stream. gonna stick with the Swepco and inspect these bearings again after this season is complete.

If all's good, it'll definitely be a proven winning formula.

T
Old 05-26-2016, 05:10 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Question for Michael on the bearings. How well would you think the H-bearings and the ACL's would stand up to a temporary low oil condition compared to the Glyco's? Eg. fast leaking seal or gasket.....oil light comes on and you shut down engine kinda situation. Hypothetically speaking.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Question for Michael on the bearings. How well would you think the H-bearings and the ACL's would stand up to a temporary low oil condition compared to the Glyco's? Eg. fast leaking seal or gasket.....oil light comes on and you shut down engine kinda situation. Hypothetically speaking.
First, understand that NO bearing will stand up to a loss of oil film. The rotating rod rides on an oil film, and it is that film that provides separation and prevents metallic contact with the bearing. Since the oil is incompressible, tremendous loads are transferred to the bearing and that's why the bearing construction is critical. The H bearing's value is in the beating it can take - but only if there is that critical film of oil.

Will the bearing survive in a low oil pressure situation (oil light comes on)? If the engine is shut down before the oil film goes away, then yes. Keep in mind that RPM, load, duration all contribute to how long the film will protect the bearing. The H bearing is far tougher than the Glyco, so it may survive a bit longer, but do try not to go there!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:45 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Default Rod Bearings

Here's another important consideration in protecting your rod bearings: It's not only oiling system issues that can take out a bearing. Your tune is just as important as lubrication. Detonation, mild or worse, can easily cause a rod bearing failure. What happens is the uncontrolled combustion beats on the piston and squeezes the oil film out of the rod bearing. Many who lose a bearing will presume the root cause was the oiling system, when it was the tune that caused the damage. Those that experience constant bearing issues should look into their tune-up.

Further, you have to look past the tune at WOT. Those long sweepers where you're on the edge and modulating the throttle to save your life... Now you're in an often neglected area of tune: partial throttle, high RPM, high load. Is your tune correct in this situation? Your timing and fuel may be golden at WOT, and way off at partial throttle. Think about it.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Here's another important consideration in protecting your rod bearings: It's not only oiling system issues that can take out a bearing. Your tune is just as important as lubrication. Detonation, mild or worse, can easily cause a rod bearing failure. What happens is the uncontrolled combustion beats on the piston and squeezes the oil film out of the rod bearing. Many who lose a bearing will presume the root cause was the oiling system, when it was the tune that caused the damage. Those that experience constant bearing issues should look into their tune-up.

Further, you have to look past the tune at WOT. Those long sweepers where you're on the edge and modulating the throttle to save your life... Now you're in an often neglected area of tune: partial throttle, high RPM, high load. Is your tune correct in this situation? Your timing and fuel may be golden at WOT, and way off at partial throttle. Think about it.
Hi Michael, interesting point.

Is there anything about cyl #2 that makes it more prone to high cylinder peak pressures? (detonation etc)

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 09:55 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Unfortunately I can vouch for this......, fueling problem, bad lean misfire in several corners near end of an enduro in the lead and I instructed my son to go for it. Newly ceramic topped pistons burned to ash on top, #2 & 3 bearings wiped, #2 piston scored and rod came out the block. Engine made it to finish and let go several laps into the next sprint.

Michael....., I've been in the transmission business most of my life....., some bushings in automatics have divots like a golf ball that act as small reservoirs to hold the oil longer on it's way out.

Is there a reason these type surfaces aren't used on main and rod bearings...?

In some of the positions these bearings are used, say in a bolt on tail section for the output yoke, they aren't even pressure fed and last 20+ years and are sometimes in spec , still original from the 60's and 70's.

As anyone who has ever slung a drive shaft on a launch knows, there's no shortage of force on an output yoke.

T
Old 05-27-2016, 01:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Michael....., I've been in the transmission business most of my life....., some bushings in automatics have divots like a golf ball that act as small reservoirs to hold the oil longer on it's way out.

Is there a reason these type surfaces aren't used on main and rod bearings...?

T
Interesting idea. Wonder if it affects the integrity of the bearing with less material? Surface area would be decreased on the absolute face but increase overall. You'd have to assume that someone would have thought of this somewhere along the time of bearing manufacturing.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Interesting idea. Wonder if it affects the integrity of the bearing with less material? Surface area would be decreased on the absolute face but increase overall. You'd have to assume that someone would have thought of this somewhere along the time of bearing manufacturing.
Was looking around on the KS site this morning for an actual engine bearing where this type surface is used. I remember seeing it there a year or two ago and thinking to myself that engines have finally caught up with transmission technology....LOL.

In all honesty, engines are boring compared to automatic transmissions.
There is a lot to learn in autos because companies introduce new models (sometimes they are forced if competition introduces a new 6 speed for example), sometimes before they are really ready. There are failures not long after sale and they have to be addressed quickly and correctly or the car manufacturer will take a huge hit in reliability reputation, not to mention the warranty claims losses.

You wanna learn about lubrication, control, distribution, etc. Look at automatics. Some overdrive planetaries spin at 10,000 rpms and are fairly large by engine parts comparisons ...so, a lot of centrifugal force sling.

Lube dams, varying orifices, specially designed bearing races, bushing surfaces, etc., all designed to capture, hold and make the most of available lube.

Found this on the web though just for an example of the lube retention surface.....,

I had mentioned in another thread, another relation to automatics...., the oil pump design and how automatics had left the gear type behind years ago due to their inefficiency compared to rotor/vane types.

While I was looking around at the KS site for the divot surface engine bearings I know I had seen there before, I came across this, which is pretty good evidence that these type pumps way outperform a gear-gear positive displacement design.

http://cdn.kspg.com/fileadmin/media/...brennung_e.pdf

I do believe that the 944 pump could be converted to a rotor/vane pump since the both work in a recessed pocket but I am still not convinced that the 944 and 928 oil pump isn't up to any race task as long as it's fed a reliable source of oil.

T
Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 PM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

I do believe that the 944 pump could be converted to a rotor/vane pump since the both work in a recessed pocket but I am still not convinced that the 944 and 928 oil pump isn't up to any race task as long as it's fed a reliable source of oil.
T
I agree with your statement (above), T. The pump design is not new and historically proven reliable. I'd only add the word "suitable" before the last word. Well said, BTW.

Your oil retention bearing is interesting. I'd be curious what a Mahle/Clevite or ACL engineer would have to say about it. Conceptually it seems valid.

Last edited by michaelmount123; 05-30-2016 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Deleted incorrect info!
Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What about adding a second electric oil pump plumbed into the system?
The yellow turbo 968 that belongs now to soloracer has a pump...belt driven, to oil the turbo
The engine was built by Jon Milledge....knows a little bit about these engines
Old 05-27-2016, 08:58 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with your statement (above), T. The pump design is not new and historically proven reliable. I'd only add the word "suitable" before the last word. Well said, BTW.

Your oil retention bearing is interesting. I'd be curious what a Mahle/Clevite or ACL engineer would have to say about it. Conceptually it seems valid.

Why does #2 go first? A fluid dynamics engineer could chime in here (please), but #2 is the last to get pressure. Before the objections begin, consider that it's adjacent to the oil entry, but the rest of the passage needs to fill and pressurize before #2 gets its share. That makes it last. By the same token, when the pickup gulps air, or pressure drops for any other reason, #2 is now the first to lose its share. Next would be number 3. As we know, bearing issues normally show on #2, and occasionally #3. Make sense?
A Honda engineer who specialized in oil systems did some preliminary analysis a few years back and he believed the 944 oil pump worked "to good". His belief was that the pump resulted in cavitation on the input side starting at about 5500 rpm. As I recall oil viscosity played a significant role as to how early the cavitation begins. I would be interested in your thoughts on this theory.

Quick Reply: 944 Rod Bearing - Fix?