Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SSI New Ball Joint Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:34 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Can this work on 968 control arms? I know they are somewhat different.
Maybe if there is enough request to do 968 arms I would see if it could be done. I would need some one to send me a bad arm so I could machine the top off to see if the races fit and if there is room to machine a snap ring groove.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aglaes
How/where do you order the kit?
Send us an email or Call we take all credit cards & paypal.

info@ssiauto.com
410-668-1100
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This looks pretty awesome, I may have to buy a set since my ball joint sockets are quite worn. Plastic upper bushings only lasted a few thousand km.

I would also be interested in if 968 arms can be rebuilt with these.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:34 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

This looks very nice, but does it address the issue of wear of aluminum ball joint pocket of the control arm itself? This is the real cause of the issue and many aluminum arms aren't rebuildable for this reason.

I have an '86 and I was able to backdate to early steel arms, but the late offset guys need a good solution.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:42 AM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Droops83
This looks very nice, but does it address the issue of wear of aluminum ball joint pocket of the control arm itself? This is the real cause of the issue and many aluminum arms aren't rebuildable for this reason.

I have an '86 and I was able to backdate to early steel arms, but the late offset guys need a good solution.
When you have wear to the upper ball joint pocket and you install a conventional rebuild kit the race moves higher up into the pocket and the race will settle into the voids in the wear areas causing the ball joint to have pay in it.We have addressed wear of the pocket by adding the tension adjustment witch lets you reset the proper preload and always keep them in proper adjustment.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
Maybe if there is enough request to do 968 arms I would see if it could be done. I would need some one to send me a bad arm so I could machine the top off to see if the races fit and if there is room to machine a snap ring groove.
I might have one. In the past there were places that offered this service so I am sure its doable. I will contact you when I dig the control arm out.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there still an option for longer (weren't they called geometry correcting?) pins for lowered cars or is that still an issue? Seems like that was a big thing a couple of years ago and then I couldn't find them when I was looking recently.
Thanks,
Jay
Old 02-09-2014, 10:15 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by topley
Is there still an option for longer (weren't they called geometry correcting?) pins for lowered cars or is that still an issue? Seems like that was a big thing a couple of years ago and then I couldn't find them when I was looking recently.
Thanks,
Jay
Geometry correction pins are build to order, it takes 24 to 48hr to fill the order spec your length.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of the older SSI balljoints in my 951 and they were still stiff after MANY years of Daily Driving, AutoX, and DE days. This product seems even better. I would HIGHLY recommend the SSI kits.

I can confirm the 968 arms are sealed at the bottom with the aluminum pressed around the bottom. The only easy way to open it up is to grind away the bottom 1mm of material. I had to do this myself before sending the arms out to have custom pins fitted. I also had to machine a groove for the circlip because there isn't one in the 968 arms. (the folded up pressed aluminum does that job)

But there is room to machine a groove, and then you can use the 968 brake ducts without any clunky adaptors!!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
When you have wear to the upper ball joint pocket and you install a conventional rebuild kit the race moves higher up into the pocket and the race will settle into the voids in the wear areas causing the ball joint to have pay in it.We have addressed wear of the pocket by adding the tension adjustment witch lets you reset the proper preload and always keep them in proper adjustment.
That is nice to hear. I have a few sets of 944 arms laying around the shop, I may have to order up a rebuild kit and try it out on one of our cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 PM
dlr944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this kit still available?

Quick Reply: SSI New Ball Joint Kit