Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pan job

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan job

about to take on the oil pan gasket to get rid of leaks and replace the motor mounts while im there.

my question is since my car is an 87 with a 2 piece crossover there is no need to remove the intake manifold correct?

also might do the rod bearings while im there and not sure if that require the intake manifold off as well

just want to make sure i order all the things i need before i get started.

sorry if this has been asked a bunch.

and any info for some helpful tips in doing these jobs would be appreciated as i have not done anything like this before. thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The crossover is two piece, but what this means is the waste gate pipe detaches, not the turbo inlet. I would remove the intake to facilitate easier removal of the 4 bolts at the turbo hotside inlet.

For no intake removal, you would need a crossover modified with a v-band at the turbo inlet, basically what Lindsey calls a '2pc crossover'.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got done this job and let me say if I had to do it all over again, I'd consider removing the engine from the car instead. This would save the extra work of dropping the cross-member and steering rack. Laying on a creeper trying to work was tricky. It would have been nice to have the engine on a stand. You're gonna need a way to support the engine from above. I used the Harbor Freight brace that sits on the inner fender edges. Get a new o-ring for the oil pick-up tube too.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty much what these other guys said.

The "2pc" crossover just means that the WG pipe is separate. What you need is the "3pc" crossover that Lindsey modifies and sells. I don't see how you'd really get the crossover pipe out without removing the intake manifold and probably the master cylinder heat shield. It's tight in there otherwise.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Tom
I just got done this job and let me say if I had to do it all over again, I'd consider removing the engine from the car instead. This would save the extra work of dropping the cross-member and steering rack.

Just add removing the transmission (axle bolts that notoriously strip, coupler bolts that can be a PITA, shift linkage, ectc...) and sliding the TT back, or leave it in, remove everything in front of the engine, and deal with getting it off of the TT shaft and then angle the front down enough to clear the headlight bar/hood latch/core support. And then it all has to go back together...doesn't seem easier than just removing the intake to get to the crossover bolts. I've done it all three ways, and wouldn't pull it just for the OPG.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I don't see how you'd really get the crossover pipe out without removing the intake manifold and probably the master cylinder heat shield. It's tight in there otherwise.
Tight, but not too difficult. Didn't have to mess with the heat shield.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:27 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

ok so i got the bolts for the crossover all out but i cant pull it out far enough to clear the flange at the wastegate.

do i have to remove the wastegate too?

all the write ups seem to say all i have to do is remove the 3 bolts at the flange and wiggle it out but it just wont go out far enough...
Old 10-30-2013, 11:20 PM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

got it. just removed the 4 bolts at the wastegate. was hoping to not have to buy another gasket

Quick Reply: oil pan job