Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for info on ITB plenum design

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny how you raise your 928 shield in every other post. It's you who's saying your 928 engine is low tech, no one else.
50mm ITBs ok, but with which taper?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:58 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom
Fitting larger intake valves means reducing air velocity between the inlet port and the valve, whence the interest to maximise air velocity at the inlet port by using runners that are wider than inlet ports.
No, it doesn't. Virtually every production engine is mach limited at peak power at lower lift levels. The "theoretical" velocity can be well over 400 m/s on 4V applications, 450 m/s on 2V's. At inlet temperatures, the speed of sound is probably 300-320 m/s.

But low lift flow isn't that big of a deal on the intake side, it is peak flow - that's how you tune the intake, and that is when the pressure wave hits the valve.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Thom
Race Car

So, for the same given runner shape, increasing inlet port size should be done only when increasing high lift flow?

Does the diameter of the air column affect the intensity (or period) of the pulse wave?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Cheburator
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Funny how you raise your 928 shield in every other post. It's you who's saying your 928 engine is low tech, no one else.
50mm ITBs ok, but with which taper?
I have the numbers somewhere... If you really need them, I will dig them out - in the middle of a house refurbishment project so everything is up in the air or in boxes all over the place... Does it help if I say the ITBs are off an E39 M5 with custom adapter plates to match the 928 intake ports? You can easily see what the tapered end of the ITB looks like if you search for pics on Google... Hope this helps...

I don't think ITBs off an E39 M5 will work on the 944 intake port despite being the correct size. From my limited experience, I think I would be more tempted to go with motorcycle ITBs. Much wider availability and their shape seems to suit the shape of the intake port better. Of course I stand to be corrected by someone who has been there, done it and gotten the medal.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
67King
Race Car

So, for the same given runner shape, increasing inlet port size should be done only when increasing high lift flow?

Does the diameter of the air column affect the intensity (or period) of the pulse wave?
High lift flow and port diameter are quite closely related. Unless you really have no clue what you are doing, the two follow each other.

Tuning is a function of compression ratio, length, diameter, and the speed of sound (which is a function of temperature).

But again, this is not the kind of place one should go to educate oneself on these specifics.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

So you want to do something like this:

Let me know when you have a working prototype.
Attached Images   
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Is that a stock fuel rail?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:17 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Before I even begin, *puts on flame suit*.

There, thats better. I've been throwing this idea around in my head for years, but recently a conversation with a friend prompted me to consider it again, and to my knowledge nobody has ever done it. I'd like to fab an ITB intake using 44mm butterflies from a Honda CBR1000, and integrate velocity stacks. They are extremely cheap, a set with the linkage can be had for 40 bucks all day long. Thats 608 cm^2 of valve area, and nearly 3 times the area of the stock 951 TB. A stock 951 intake hacked off before the plenum would let the stock fuel rail be used, and I would drill each runner and tap it for a boost/vac reference signal and delete the ISV. It wouldn't take much massaging to make the factory throttle cam and TPS work, so the main hurdle for me is figuring out exactly how long I want the runners so I know where to cut and designing the plenum. Can any of the great minds here give me their opinion on calculating ideal runner length and plenum volume? This will be going on a big turbo 2.5 liter engine with lots of breathing mods. Trying to achieve max VE at a relatively high engine speed.

Much thanks
Pretty vague info, is this for street or racing application, best to define high engine speeds and Power targets ....

Regards..
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking for peak power somewhere between 6500-7000. This will be on a race engine with an HX35 turbo and all the typical support mods, 3" turbo back, a worked head with oversize intake valves, modded intercooler, 2.75" OD hard pipes, and a mild cam. Looking for as much as I can safely get out of the stock rods, so 400-425 whp, with good throttle response up top and as little boost as possible. I think to start with, I'd like to figure out my ideal plenum volume ( which can always be remade later ) and then go from there to the runner length. I fully accept that it may be a case of trial and error to get the power band where I want it and to get a good balance between top end power and throttle response.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 10-01-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:21 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
I think to start with, I'd like to figure out my ideal plenum volume ( which can always be remade later ) and then go from there to the runner length.
You are doing it backwards.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

RPM = 25/(3*n) * (720 - INd) / Rl * Ss

where
RPM : engine speed when the pulse wave hits the open inlet valve
n : the number of times the pressure wave will have bounced on the back of the intake valve before it opens
INd : inlet cam duration, in °
Rl : Length between the back of the open intake valve and the intake plenum, in cm
Ss : speed of sound (depending on inlet air temp), in m/s

With this calculation it's easy to plot curves showing RPM = f(n)

What this formula shows is that increasing inlet cam duration has a greater effect on ram effect the shorter the runner length.

Now if some knowledgeable people could add some proper input on how runner diameter actually affects peak torque RPM (with a formula please, not a meaningless online calculator), we may get a bit further...?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Is that a stock fuel rail?
No, its been painted black....
Old 10-01-2013, 08:34 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
No, its been painted black....
Sheesh, it isn't like it is a red door.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

RPM = 25/(3*n) * (720 - INd) / Rl * Ss

where
RPM : engine speed when the pulse wave hits the open inlet valve
n : the number of times the pressure wave will have bounced on the back of the intake valve before it opens
INd : inlet cam duration, in °
Rl : Length between the back of the open intake valve and the intake plenum, in cm
Ss : speed of sound (depending on inlet air temp), in m/s

With this calculation it's easy to plot curves showing RPM = f(n)

What this formula shows is that increasing inlet cam duration has a greater effect on ram effect the shorter the runner length.

Now if some knowledgeable people could add some proper input on how runner diameter actually affects peak torque RPM (with a formula please, not a meaningless online calculator), we may get a bit further...?
Two more important variables -

Rd : Number of type R decals
IFph : Internet Forum posts per hour of author

all joking aside - if you want to get down into the details you need to consider the effect of humidity and pressure on the speed of sound. Its pretty small but it is quantifiable.

I don't think you are going to get a relatively simple formula for this type of design unless you are just looking of a theoretical 'perfect world' answer. Port shape and curve will become an issue in the real world. I am sure Harry might have some better insight on the issued of how we figure air flow separation into the port volume tuning. Once you get to that level I am out of my league - I don't have the CFD software to deal with that!!!

BTW - Harry's comment about mach is a big deal, things just go to crap when you get to that speed! Most people would be amazed how fast the air is traveling inside an engine. example - 500cfm through a 2" pipe (like an intercooler pipe!) is approx. 400fps - about 1/3 mach.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67King
Sheesh, it isn't like it is a red door.
Based on the rest of the engine I am sure its some sort of radar absorbent coating with special thermal properties....or its just cheap Home Depot spray paint!

Quick Reply: Looking for info on ITB plenum design