Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with balance belt tensioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help with balance belt tensioning

Ok the cam belt was pretty strait forward. But for the balance belt do you back off the crank 10 degrees like the cam belt before tightening or do you rotate TDC and keep tension in the belt prior to tensioning.

Also before I took the original belts off the marks on the balance were dead on. Now the bottom one is pretty much on the mark but the top one is the width of the timing mark off
Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like the upper belt is a tooth off?

The point for "turning the engine back" is to allow that long run - between the cam and the crank - to have as much "slack" in it as possible. When the engine is turning, that run is always in tension.

For the balance shaft system, because of the multiple loop arounds, and the very slight tension on that belt, you can just measure on the long run between the tensioner and the top pulley.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

I tried moving the belt a notch forward and back but it just can't be made to be spot on. Ill take a video and post it later and show how off the balance belt notch is. I used the Arnnworx tool to measure. I can twist the cam belt almost 90 degrees and I'm not able to twist the balance belt quite 180 degrees.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Here is the video:

Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

That's close enough! You're probably dealing with either a little bit of belt stretch from the old belt, or manufacturing tolerances from the new one. Like if each tooth is off by a few thousandths of an inch, and that stacks up...

Quick Reply: Help with balance belt tensioning