Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Driver's side windshield wiper not getting enough downpressure

Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Markoneus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's side windshield wiper not getting enough downpressure

Hey all

I'm trying to get better wiping out of my driver's side wiper. Basically, it just doesn't press down hard enough at high way speeds. Under 60, it's fine, but if you're doing a steady 72, it skips & stutters & shakes and doesn't truly "wipe" properly. You can literally see just cruising at speed that it's getting way more updraft than the one on the passenger side. I even tried swapping the wipers, thinking one was warped or something, but same result--the driver's side still skipped and struggled to keep smooth contact. My theory is that just the small difference created by the raised hood behind the passenger side headlight is enough to lift the wind flow up so it doesn't "underscoop" the passenger side as much. But on the driver's side: a lot of the wiper is over the center of the hood, which is lower and lets more air come up. Anyway, then I realized the previous owner had lost the OEM downflow blade that performs like a fairing and adds down pressure. So I bought this one:
https://www.automotion.com/swf-plus-...1976-1995.html

It's better now, but still not 100% doing the full job. Anyone else have another recommend? Is there a better blade/ housing to get? Again, the problem is not the actual rubber wiper blade (tons), the problem is handing windflow.

thx.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Make sure the hinge point of the wiper arm is moving freely. Otherwise, the spring might not be able to put enough force on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's side windshield wiper not getting enough downpressure