Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How tight is tight

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tight is tight

How to tight power steering belt? I think Clark refers to special tool but how to tighten it without any tools? How I have it now is that I can squeeze it with one hand approx. 1/2 inch (deflection). Is it good enough? A/C and alternator I can squeeze approx. 1/4 inch, it seems to be quite tight. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hah, wasnt sure what to expect opening this thread

The special tool is the tensioner. You dont need it. Its kind of a process of trial and error. If youve ever done your timing belt, its slightly tighter than the ps belt. Thats what i set mine at anyways. The key is not to have it too tight, or youll wear pulleys out faster. You could start with it fairly loose, run the car, see if it slips, and adjust from there.

To adjust, drive the car on ramps, put another set of stands or blocks under the frame rails for safety, remove the belly pan, and youll see the tentioner with jam nuts on the ends. Loosen the jam nuts and adjust the bar. That simple.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
szabon
Racer

it sounds like you have it tight enough. That's about what I set mine at.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM
darek_u
Pro

OK thanks, I'll see how it works when I start the engine, hopefully Saturday. First time after 3 years...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the Krikit tensioning tool, a new tb is set to 40lbs, and the alternator/AC belt is set to 85lbs, so quite a bit tighter.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The power steering belt is a V-belt and the AC/Alternator belt is a multigroove belt. Both have very different characteristics.

I use the kricket tool on the AC/Alt. belt and the aforementioned 85lbs is correct.

The rule of thumb for V-belt tightness is 1/16" delection for every foot between pully centers, checking at the middle of the longest run. I forget how far apart our pulleys are, but I would think 1/4" deflection in the middle of the belt would be fine. push until you feel a marked increase in resisitance (kinda gotta get a feel for it) on just one side of the belt ie DO NOT squeeze the two sides of the belt together.

Push until you feel

Quick Reply: How tight is tight