Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Recently Acquired 18" Turbo Twists hollow spokes for 86 951, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently Acquired 18" Turbo Twists hollow spokes for 86 951, need some help

I need expert advice on the wheels I'm getting (The 996 Turbo Twists Hollow Spokes 18Inches)
Since I'm adding spacers, about 25mm (1") in the front and 15mm in the rear, what stud lengths do I need and WHERE can I get these? I'm not really sure how to calculate the lengths so if someone can please enlighten me on this matter.

And how about the bolts/lugs? What bolts or lugs do I need to buy and where can I get these? I'm currently running 951 Fuchs 16" 7s and 8s with 23.3mm offset. Could I use the same bolts/lugs from there? I know the studs will need to be longer. I know for a fact that Porsches use a swivel head lug bolt but are they the same for all the Porsche OEM wheels?

For your info, the 996 TT hollow spokes and 8s in the front (50ET) and 11s in the rear (45ET). Tires are respectively 225/40/18 and 295/30/18.

Thanks for all your great help! I'm starting some major maintenance on my 951 in the next month so will keep everyone posted.

Matthew
Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Here are the links for the spacers I am getting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330881527255 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/330802764882

if you could kindly link me a webpage selling the studs and bolts/lugs which I need for my setup, I would really appreciate it ^ ^
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 PM
944Phil
Racer

Snugglepush, be careful with the spacers. I put 18" Carerra III's on my 86 951. I used 1" spacers all around and it fits pretty snug.... but the rears will rub a little bit on the inside of the wheel well under acceleration when i hit a bump (like an expansion joint in an overpass).

If you use 15mm spacers in the back (assuming your wheels have the same offset as mine) you'll have even more rub than i do.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 PM
944Phil
Racer

I just saw you are in Montreal. Right now i don't have my 18" wheels on the car so if you want you can test fit with my spacers. I acually used MDF to test fit the spacers, but i didn't drive around.

The spacers have studs on them, so i didn't need to buy longer studs.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use the washer method if I could do it all over again. Get cheap washers and a lot of them. Attack them up a few at a time to get the wheel fit just right. After that measure the thickness of all the washers. That is due.big of a spacer/adapter should be.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Snugglepush
Advanced

944Phil, thank you for the offer! I'll definitely consider it but it won't be soon since I'm away from Montreal for Piloting School. I'll be back in 2 weekends so maybe we can meet up Send me a pm with your email/facebook so we can keep in touch!

86 951 Driver: Not sure what washers are exactly. If you can kindly send me a link of a pic or something.

I'm just really interested on what studs, bolts and lugs I need!!! I don't know where and what lengths I need to get :/
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy studs from autozone, pepboys etc, just remove one of the ones from the car take it to the store and ask for the same but 15mm (or whatever size spacer your using) longer
Old 05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snugglepush
944Phil, thank you for the offer! I'll definitely consider it but it won't be soon since I'm away from Montreal for Piloting School. I'll be back in 2 weekends so maybe we can meet up Send me a pm with your email/facebook so we can keep in touch!

86 951 Driver: Not sure what washers are exactly. If you can kindly send me a link of a pic or something.

I'm just really interested on what studs, bolts and lugs I need!!! I don't know where and what lengths I need to get :/
Washers are used before you out a nut on. This would just be just for test fitting.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Snugglepush
Advanced

and how about to lock the wheel onto my car? Can I use the bolts/nuts currently used for my Fuchs?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think you'll need spacers in the rears. The problem is rubbing on the outside fender under hard acceleration or when exiting on ramps etc...Amongst the suggestions above, there are a couple more things you should do that would help with the rubbing issues. The main issue is the rear rubbing. For the front, just slap on some 10mm spacers and be done with it:

1. Definitely zip tie the brake cable wire onto the trailing arm tightly. With 295s section width tires, they will rub onto this wire.
2. With the non-S model, you have fender lips that are not rolled from the factory. So if you can see locally or someone on here can direct you to a place that can provide this service, and get your rear fender lips (outside lips) rolled, you will solve 90% of your rubbing issues. A good tool to use is the Eastwood roller...some use a small wooden baseball bat to achieve similar result. Youtube has a ton of videos on how to do this for the DIYers.
3. You don't need new lug nuts for the front or rears...I have used similar set up while re-using the stock aluminum ones just fine. If you track your car then perhaps you may consider extending the studs and/or use steel (shorter) lugs that are shorter. I have a bunch of them so if you want them just pm me and pay for shipping.
4. If you are nervous about any of the above steps, one other way to eliminate rubbing would just bite the bullet and move down to 285mm tires with the zip tie method which you should do anyway.
5. You can also apply a combination of steps and also run a slightly negative camber, ~1 degree or so to tuck the top of the tires in and avoid that un-rolled lip outside fenders.

Do some search as there are some good thread on here re: running wide rubbers outback. I would avoid running any spacers unless I absolutely have to. Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Phil
Snugglepush, be careful with the spacers. I put 18" Carerra III's on my 86 951. I used 1" spacers all around and it fits pretty snug.... but the rears will rub a little bit on the inside of the wheel well under acceleration when i hit a bump (like an expansion joint in an overpass).

If you use 15mm spacers in the back (assuming your wheels have the same offset as mine) you'll have even more rub than i do.
Not the same wheels. On an 86, the 996TT wheels fit about perfectly with the 15mm spacer which is what I run. He would rub the fender with a 1" spacer.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Thanks mudbuddha, I will take a look at this with my mechanic but I've heard and seen many posts about people using the 996TT wheels without needing to roll the fenders... They all used spacers so maybe we're not talking about the same wheels and porsche 951 year?

And PorscheDoc, are you currently running 295s in the rear or 285s? I'm thinking of also going with 15mm spacers. Did you need to do anything else besides add the 15mm spacers? Pics would be much appreciated and you're prob using 1" spacers in the front right?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Snugglepush

And PorscheDoc, are you currently running 295s in the rear or 285s? I'm thinking of also going with 15mm spacers. Did you need to do anything else besides add the 15mm spacers? Pics would be much appreciated and you're prob using 1" spacers in the front right?

Nope, just a 15mm spacer and zip tied the parking brake cable out of the way. I believe I slightly rolled my rear fenders years ago. 285 hoosier rears. I'll have to pull the alignment specs, but I run quite a bit of negative camber in the rear.

Fronts I will also run a 15mm spacer. I have a little 7mm on there right now as I forgot to order another 15mm set for the front, they sit in slightly, but not bad....just a track car anyway. Never have enough time for my own cars.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Has anyone tried using a bat and a heatgun to roll the fenders on these cars?
This guy makes it look easy but not sure if this method would be good for our "old" cars... XD
Old 05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Anyone currently got 295s in their rears? It doesn't matter what wheels, I just want some pics of 295s on our 944s

Quick Reply: Recently Acquired 18" Turbo Twists hollow spokes for 86 951, need some help