odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try using one of these: http://www.toolplanet.com/product/Li...FUQ6QgodcgQAOw
Old 06-20-2013, 07:52 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

I understand what you are saying, which is why it has only been about 7 miles on it since it happened. "Still runs pretty well", means it doesn't run rough and there is no noticeable loss of power, until it gets to the point that the boost maxes out too low. I know I have continued to ask advice and this is only because I don't have the most common symptoms of a blown HG, but have different ones. I’m not a mechanic, so I ask questions because combustion should be enough to create steam, but I don’t know about other factors that might delay it until the engine is warm. I have been out of a job for several months and don't have the money to pay someone to diagnose and fix it, nor do I have money to waste fixing the wrong problem. Please excuse me if I am being overly cautious in trying to make very sure what the problem is. As always, I greatly appreciate all the help I receive here. If the consensus is that it is still the HG, than I will stop bothering everyone and go with that. Thanks!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
If you are getting smoke in all of those places then, by definition, it doesn't "still run pretty well". If you have just barely blown the HG, you won't necessarily get any smoke until the engine gets warmed up. You also may not see much milkshake. Either way that car is not still running pretty well. It's screaming HEY! I'm broken! Fix me! That's what the smoke is.
This is very true . I am not sure why CO951 thinks otherwise than a probable head gasket . What does any other tests show ? If you take it out and run it harder as Od said you will probably get an answer back from the car . Then you can decide how to handle it . My bet is on the HG too .
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Headgasket or turbo seals.... I'm voting headgasket

Headgasket set around 160
Rebuild turbo 350+
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A HG failure can be VERY small, and slowly get worse. They don't all just go POW! Infact, if you pull the HG, you may have to have an expert actually FIND the failure. I sent a set of pics to Chris White. The HG looked pretty solid to me and 3 other mechanic friends, (ya know guys who get paid!). Chris saw it in the second pic. Sometimes they just burn through slightly and that will do it. Go easy on the car until you know! At this point your whole life should be about not scoring your cylinder walls, until you find a valid other reason for the issue!
+1

A couple years ago, my HG blew. No milkshake. Just lazy boost roll-on, strange engine temps, and a puff of white smoke once in awhile when getting on it. Then one day out in the middle of nowhere, POOF!!! White smoke bellowing out the back! Coolant all over the place under the hood, and an overheating engine.

Change the HG before you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

It's quite cheap to do the job yourself, provided you already have tools for the job. If not, and you can't afford to pay a shop to do it for you, then you'll have to park the car for the summer.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Texas, the things that made me unsure about it being HG were: No cross contamination / milkshake, no coolant overflow or loss when running hard, it's running temp is perfect despite it being a hot day, the delayed smoke had me thinking turbo seals (but I guess if the HG opening is small enough, it may not open up until it heats up and expands).

Reading back through my post yesterday, I realized I had left out the most important new thing that had me unsure. It may actually support the HG issue, I don't know. The oil pressure is fine above idle, but for the first time ever when at idle it was dropping low enough that the ! light was coming on occasionally.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Black51
+1

A couple years ago, my HG blew. No milkshake. Just lazy boost roll-on, strange engine temps, and a puff of white smoke once in awhile when getting on it. Then one day out in the middle of nowhere, POOF!!! White smoke bellowing out the back! Coolant all over the place under the hood, and an overheating engine.

Change the HG before you get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

It's quite cheap to do the job yourself, provided you already have tools for the job. If not, and you can't afford to pay a shop to do it for you, then you'll have to park the car for the summer.
I was going to post something like this to consider. And even more damage can occur too.

Good Gasket - New

Not So Good Gasket - car ran but was waiting to let go any minute.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CO951
I understand what you are saying, which is why it has only been about 7 miles on it since it happened. "Still runs pretty well", means it doesn't run rough and there is no noticeable loss of power, until it gets to the point that the boost maxes out too low. I know I have continued to ask advice and this is only because I don't have the most common symptoms of a blown HG, but have different ones. I’m not a mechanic, so I ask questions because combustion should be enough to create steam, but I don’t know about other factors that might delay it until the engine is warm. I have been out of a job for several months and don't have the money to pay someone to diagnose and fix it, nor do I have money to waste fixing the wrong problem. Please excuse me if I am being overly cautious in trying to make very sure what the problem is. As always, I greatly appreciate all the help I receive here. If the consensus is that it is still the HG, than I will stop bothering everyone and go with that. Thanks!!!
You're doing just fine. There is never a problem with honest questions.
Here's the thing, it may not be the HG, but of everyone who has read your thread, you've received, as best as I can remember, two responses. The overwhelming majority is that you probably have a HG that is going fast or oil cooler seals...and maybe a bad turbo seal thrown in. IF your HQ Or your Oc seals are going/gone, you are just BEGGING to score the walls of your cylinders. The price tag on scored cylinders goes from new block to freshly honed rebuild to totally new rebuild. The numbers, by comparison to a Hg job, if caught early, get huge real fast. Get that Lisle tester, that was posted, and find a buddy to help you out, if you aren't real confident about doing the test. Share the results with us. We'll help ya out. It will obviously cost more, but you can find a GOOD Porsche shop, even if that means a dealer, and let them do all of the tests.
Either way, the money you spend testing will be well spent compared to trashed out cylinder walls.
Mine had symptoms very much like yours. It was the HG AND it ran okay, but wouldn't boost worth a crap. Luckily, I got it early enough. No wall damage. I live in Florida, and it gets HOT! It could have become a train wreck. Don't become a train wreck! The HG is a BIG job, but NOT a HARD job. It's not brain surgery and we'll walk you through it along with a few write ups you can print off in 15 minutes. Whatever is wrong can be fixed. Let's just find out what's wrong. We'll take it from there. Sound good?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Texas, the things that made me unsure about it being HG were: No cross contamination / milkshake, no coolant overflow or loss when running hard, it's running temp is perfect despite it being a hot day, the delayed smoke had me thinking turbo seals (but I guess if the HG opening is small enough, it may not open up until it heats up and expands).

Reading back through my post yesterday, I realized I had left out the most important new thing that had me unsure. It may actually support the HG issue, I don't know. The oil pressure is fine above idle, but for the first time ever when at idle it was dropping low enough that the ! light was coming on occasionally.

How is the temp after a hard run, when you let the car idle? What's happening with your coolant then? Is there bubbling in the overflow tank, once the car stands still and has time to run without airflow? Usually, if the hg goes, one or some of those things will occur, but again, sometimes your just on the razors edge. Generally you won't see the problems while in motion, but once the car has been run and comes to a stop, while running for 5+ minutes. That allows the steam to build and the outcome is smoke/steam/temp climb. (The temp will generally climb when the car isn't getting airflow, but with a coolant leak, which is what happens with a failing hg) the temp will go past safe zones. mostly obviously, when idling after a hard run.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, somehow I missed the oil thing. STOP DRIVING THE CAR! You have a significant oil leak. If it was the HG, and that happened to the oil, you would have milkshake for sure. You have some other problem. Whatever it is, it's serious. I could be wrong, but that just doesn't sound like a HG.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrenan
This is true. Here's my thread from a local track rat forum that follows my head gasket job over the winter - I take pictures at each step of the car and the tools used.

http://www.straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=1539
even better Tom McGinn has a fantastic write up that I have saved, and it's the one I used.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Okay, somehow I missed the oil thing. STOP DRIVING THE CAR! You have a significant oil leak. If it was the HG, and that happened to the oil, you would have milkshake for sure. You have some other problem. Whatever it is, it's serious. I could be wrong, but that just doesn't sound like a HG.
They can be separate issues. The head gasket can be gone and some debris in the oil pickup , oil lines, or failing oil pump or seal(s) or other oil leak.

In any event the OP will have to quit driving the car and get it to someone knowledgeable with these cars or a qualified independent Porsche service and tech to sort out these problems .
Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

CO951, there is a thriving and knowledgeable 951 group in the Denver area. You might want to start bringing donuts and beer to the local get-togethers and start chatting them up. Pretty hard to say with certainty what's wrong with your car, as the symptoms you describe are not classic symptoms of any one particular problem. Smoke out the intake is weird and suggest valve or timing belt issues. Low oil pressure is something else altogether. Smoke out the exhaust could be lots of things (including valves/rings, turbo, blown HG). Low boost could be a dozen things. An experienced set of eyes might be able to see clues to narrow it down that you aren't noticing. In the meantime, I'd still say it's worth pulling the head and have an valve job done with a nice new head gasket. 135k miles on the original HG and valves is plenty more than most can expect, and the valves are almost certainly in need of service at that age. If the smoke turns out to be something else, the HG and valve will not be a waste of money, as you are at the end of their expected life now either way... And, if you pull the head, there's really no reason not to do the oil seals, since the seals cost very little and it will never be easier to get to them than when the head is off the car.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TexasRider
They can be separate issues. The head gasket can be gone and some debris in the oil pickup , oil lines, or failing oil pump or seal(s) or other oil leak.

In any event the OP will have to quit driving the car and get it to someone knowledgeable with these cars or a qualified independent Porsche service and tech to sort out these problems .
+1
Old 06-22-2013, 06:40 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
CO951, there is a thriving and knowledgeable 951 group in the Denver area. You might want to start bringing donuts and beer to the local get-togethers and start chatting them up. Pretty hard to say with certainty what's wrong with your car, as the symptoms you describe are not classic symptoms of any one particular problem. Smoke out the intake is weird and suggest valve or timing belt issues. Low oil pressure is something else altogether. Smoke out the exhaust could be lots of things (including valves/rings, turbo, blown HG). Low boost could be a dozen things. An experienced set of eyes might be able to see clues to narrow it down that you aren't noticing. In the meantime, I'd still say it's worth pulling the head and have an valve job done with a nice new head gasket. 135k miles on the original HG and valves is plenty more than most can expect, and the valves are almost certainly in need of service at that age. If the smoke turns out to be something else, the HG and valve will not be a waste of money, as you are at the end of their expected life now either way... And, if you pull the head, there's really no reason not to do the oil seals, since the seals cost very little and it will never be easier to get to them than when the head is off the car.
THAAAAAT would be from the guy who created the DEFINITIVE HG write up ever. Listen to him! I did, and I have a rock solid block to thank for it.

Don't tell anyone, but if you do the job, get stuck aaaaand ask really nicely, he'll answer you and get you back on track. He should rename himself Tom Mc SOURCELY!

Quick Reply: White smoke! Head gasket?