Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

electrical problems after wiring harness replacment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default electrical problems after wiring harness replacment

I'm trying to get my car running after completely replacing the wiring harness due to an engine fire and im running into several (possibly related) issues.

1) the starter solenoid does not engage when turned to start (no volatge to the solenoid).
2) the diag plug on the drivers side does not get full voltage, and if I try to run anything off it (say my uego), the voltage drops to 0.

Its as if the dme is not driving any outputs, or not turned on.

I've been debugging the diag plug issue, since I thought it would be easier. Here is what I ahve done:
1) wire brushed all grounds
2) check ground resistance, all looks good
2) used the uego as a test light and jumpered it to the ignition pin on the dme connector (this proves that the dme is receiving a good ignition signal)
3) jumpered at the dme connector, the igniiton pin to the diag port pin. This effectively made the diag port a switched 12v straight from the ignition. This worked fine (no breaks or shorts in the wire).
4) replaced the dme

and finally,
5) hooked up a different wiring harness to a new dme (I plugged it into the 12 pin connector and hooked the grounds up). this effectivly changed out both the wiring harness/diag pin and the dme to new ones. This new setup exibits the EXACT same behavior.

I'm at a loss of what to try next. it seems like I have some fundamental thing not hooked up, but I cannot figure out what.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you did nor reverse the wires to the starter with the wires to the alternator. It is easy to do (ask me how I know)
Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

That wire seems to only go one way, due to the red/black connector that attaches to the wiring harness near the brake booster.

But, I have disconnected the alt and the starter to remove them from the equation, and I still get the same problem. Its as if the dme is not turning on, and not driving any output signals.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Make sure you did nor reverse the wires to the starter with the wires to the alternator. It is easy to do (ask me how I know)
lol I had mind backwards. car now cranks.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
Glad you got it
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
LOL???

I'm sure that's more like a hammer to the head as hard as you have been working on this......

Glad your making progress.

Quick Reply: electrical problems after wiring harness replacment