Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The Inativeable Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
mr944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Inativeable Engine Rebuild

Ok, ladies and gentlemen boys and girls, the time has come. Its winter and the cars away, so after a few years of driving around and putting things off, its finally time to Mike Holmes it and "Make it right!"

So after spending several hours on the net and reading until my eyes bleed, I've finally got a some kind of a game plan. Pull out the engine,disassemble clean, paint and replace bearings,gaskets,belts,water pump and all that jazz. Replace the clutch, fix with the power steering leak (rebuild the pump) and pretty much have a solid reliable car to drive around come spring. Once that bad has broken in, and the Porsche fund has recouped, the next phase is rogue m tune, 60-1 turbo and hopefully hit 350-400 hp at the wheels without water/meth.

So now its time to pick some rennlisters brains. Is that horsepower goal realistic? Are there any while your in the parts to address while rebuilding the engine. Are there any while you've got this out you might as well, do this. What kind of clutch would you recommend. Is there anything that should be done to the head such as replace valve springs or can just get away with cleaning it up and removing carbon? I've read the heads flow real well from factory and you've got to spend big bucks to make any difference. Are there any vendors you guys can recommend,especially when it comes to shipping to Canada? And finally any DIY guides that you think i should read.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I'd say 350hp is a really reasonable goal on pump gas with a fresh and healthy 2.5 with the right turbo and an M-Tune. I'd definitely make sure to get the right clutch now though. I'd recommend talking to Dave Novak at frontrangefabrication.com (dnovak here on Rennlist) about clutch options. I'm pretty sure he can sort you out.

As for "while you're in there" stuff.. careful of the slippery slope! There are several documented occurrences here on Rennlist of a project that started as pretty simple and the "while I'm at it" stuff wound up making the project take years.

That said, try to make sure and tackle everything that's within your budget. It's no small task to yard the engine, and it would suck to have to do it again because of something overlooked. One thing I would consider is front suspension bushings and ball joints. You'll have to have it all apart to pull the engine anyway.

Originally Posted by mr944
Ok, ladies and gentlemen boys and girls, the time has come. Its winter and the cars away, so after a few years of driving around and putting things off, its finally time to Mike Holmes it and "Make it right!"

So after spending several hours on the net and reading until my eyes bleed, I've finally got a some kind of a game plan. Pull out the engine,disassemble clean, paint and replace bearings,gaskets,belts,water pump and all that jazz. Replace the clutch, fix with the power steering leak (rebuild the pump) and pretty much have a solid reliable car to drive around come spring. Once that bad has broken in, and the Porsche fund has recouped, the next phase is rogue m tune, 60-1 turbo and hopefully hit 350-400 hp at the wheels without water/meth.

So now its time to pick some rennlisters brains. Is that horsepower goal realistic? Are there any while your in the parts to address while rebuilding the engine. Are there any while you've got this out you might as well, do this. What kind of clutch would you recommend. Is there anything that should be done to the head such as replace valve springs or can just get away with cleaning it up and removing carbon? I've read the heads flow real well from factory and you've got to spend big bucks to make any difference. Are there any vendors you guys can recommend,especially when it comes to shipping to Canada? And finally any DIY guides that you think i should read.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I am also guilty of this "while you're in there" mentality. 10 years later, I have a pretty much rebuilt race car that never came to be and another 951, lol.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
I'd recommend talking to Dave Novak at frontrangefabrication.com (dnovak here on Rennlist) about clutch options. I'm pretty sure he can sort you out.
A big +1 for Dave. I got my clutch from him when I did exactly what you're wanting to do this past winter. Not only is it a GREAT clutch, it's cheaper than pretty much any other option I could find. And, when you get a clutch from some company online, you don't get access to Dave when you need help (he actually helped me out with engine installation, the clutch had no issues).
Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My 968 blew the head gasket, I ended up rebuilding the engine! Set a modest repair goal so you have a little room to go overboard, but don't go crazy.

I'm currently rebuilding a 951 engine with a friend. We started by having the cylinders lapped by an alusil guy. We tried Goetze piston rings, and when we checked the gap they were too wide. It turns out this is common, so we bought Lindsey Racing rings. They're about 2x as much as Goetze, and about 0.5x as much as Porsche. They require you to file the gap yourself, but they will be much tighter (i.e., actually in spec). http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...STONRINGS.html

While we wait for the new rings, we're thinking of other things we want. We're shooting for 325hp and it's going to be a DE car, so our approach is going to be more oriented towards withstanding abuse and making future repairs easy. We want to get a Lindsey 3-piece crossmember, and a 3-piece crossover pipe.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
mr944
Advanced

Ok guys so the engines out and I am currently waiting on a stand. I'm looking at rebuild kits and well I'm lost. I'm not sure exactly what I'll need and who makes a kit that covers pretty much everything needed. Any recommendations on who makes a good kit??
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Here ya go:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/ERK944TURBO.html

Quick Reply: The Inativeable Engine Rebuild