944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear brake bias options

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:38 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent some time messing with this on my car and it works best with the prop valve removed altogether.
It's a stiffly setup '89 run on "square" Hoosiers or Hankoooks.
YMVV
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep in mind that the "right" bias changes as the grip level changes, so an advantage of an adjustable setup is that if you encounter rain or whatever you can adjust for it while in the car. You'll crush people who can't change their setup, especially if the weather changes during the race.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:50 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
my experience with an 86 944 turbo non-ABS with Big Red front brakes, stock rears brakes, stock LSD

5/33 proportion valve - too much rear bias, would lock the rears and try to swap ends
5/18 proportion valve - less tendency to lock the rears
LS1 swap with hydroboost, no proportion valve - way too much rears. Rears lock quickly and feel loose
LS1 swap with hydroboost, Tilton adj valve - 1 notch from closed, bias now feels great
Hopefully everyone's still around or someone else chime's in, I'm currently running stock ABS and proportioning valve on an '89 turbo and am curious to know what would be required when installing an adjustable brake bias valve...ECLOU, is this the Tilton bar you're using? I would be removing the ABS as well so i'm wondering what happens to the proportioning valve, does it get re-plumbed in-line, removed, gutted?

Looks like this bar reduces the bias up to 50% in either direction, can you confirm you're running 1 click away from reducing the rear bias a full 50%?

I'm not at all familiar with hydroboost. Is there a proportioning valve included in this system?

TIA
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rear brake bias options