Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning: DME Logger!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are going to be stoked to get this.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few descent tablets out there that can use the burg bootloader to boot os like windows, ubuntu and android and usb jack. Will probably grind up a custom mount to the 951 dash and see if the software guage view can fit in a 9" tablet screen. Might just remove the radio and lower panel and move guages to a side pod. I'm sure someone has replaced the radio for in dash tablet somewhere out there.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

I cannot give enough praise to Joshua, not just for his high-tech additions to the limited 944 market, but most impressively his exemplary customer service skills. It is amazing that his products have helped not only bring our aging cars into the 21st century, but have kept many of them running period. I am at a loss of words to explain how pleased I am with my A-Tune. I am now running E85 with 55lb inj and a 3bar fpr. I basically received tuning advice and product support on demand with Joshua of Rogue Tuning.

The fact that I can receive almost instant response from Joshua, is almost as amazing as the fact that I can even private message Joshua, a Rennlist Business Partner, here on this forum. Rogue Tuning's customer service and response more than justify the price you pay for Joshua's products.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Peedster
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! I really need this to sort out my jumpy gauges and high temp issues.

When will the tuning application be ready aprox? Would be good to order at the same time.

Too bad the 951 is tucked away for the winter!

/Peter
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Thanks Sid. And Sid is correct, that in order for the DME to log true AFR, you will need a WBO2 (I personally use the LC-1 from Innovate), and hook up the 0-5volt output from the WBO2 controller to the DME.
Josh: Will the DME accept either an analog or digital WB O2 input? I too have an Innovate LC-1 and believe the data output is analog 1-5v and that it is transmitted through the serial out port. Pls confirm this and the wiring. Thanks, Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayhem'sLV51
I cannot give enough praise to Joshua...
Thanks for the compliments!

Originally Posted by Peedster
Nice! I really need this to sort out my jumpy gauges and high temp issues.

When will the tuning application be ready aprox? Would be good to order at the same time.

Too bad the 951 is tucked away for the winter!

/Peter
Peter, I'm current working on getting the Tuning side done, and shouldn't be much longer...

Originally Posted by dmcampbell
Josh: Will the DME accept either an analog or digital WB O2 input? I too have an Innovate LC-1 and believe the data output is analog 1-5v and that it is transmitted through the serial out port. Pls confirm this and the wiring. Thanks, Mike
The DME needs a 0-5volt analog signal. Your LC-1 has the correct output, and should work well (I also use the LC-1 in both my turbo & NA).
Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So the wbo2 would T into the dme from say the zt2 or it can hard wire into the dme and no longer need zt2?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by toddk911
So the wbo2 would T into the dme from say the zt2 or it can hard wire into the dme and no longer need zt2?
You still need the WBO2 controller, to "run" the actual WBO2 sensor. But then you can log everything the DME sees through one USB cable.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Josh: Great Thanks. I'm in. Mike
Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Refresh rate is 15-20hz.
ALDL is an (old) proprietary GM datastream (and really slow). I have written my own serial-datastream, not emulator-tracing. But the concept is pretty much the same as the ALDL stuff: the DME sends out packets of data, which your laptop receives and then converts the raw data into something meaningful.
Yes, it is all in Tunerpro - it is really the most flexible tuning application and works quite well.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work as usual Josh! Looking forward to getting back to the States and installing all of your new stuff!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff, Josh. I have a few questions...

What's the timebase for the data when you export it? It would be great if it was UTC so you could align the data in time with data collected by other systems, e.g. to do a video overlay. I'm assuming the DME isn't keeping a real time clock. Is there an appreciable time delay between data acquisition and delivery to the computer? Does the protocol have a way to measure/compensate for that?

Also, is the protocol to the computer a trade secret? Can I make my own real-time display with a Raspberry Pi and an LCD screen?

Again, great stuff. I'm glad to see people innovating in this space.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare
Great stuff, Josh. I have a few questions...

What's the timebase for the data when you export it? It would be great if it was UTC so you could align the data in time with data collected by other systems, e.g. to do a video overlay. I'm assuming the DME isn't keeping a real time clock. Is there an appreciable time delay between data acquisition and delivery to the computer? Does the protocol have a way to measure/compensate for that?

Also, is the protocol to the computer a trade secret? Can I make my own real-time display with a Raspberry Pi and an LCD screen?

Again, great stuff. I'm glad to see people innovating in this space.
I've secretly been daydreaming about using the logger to do video overlay too Plenty of software packages out there that let you import .CSV files and build out the video overlay.

Only tough part is having the laptop running while on the track. I don't think it would survive! Wondering if perhaps it's worth ditching my crusty old laptop (that I keep in the garage and also run TunerPro on) for one of those new Windows Surface tablets. Then just build a foam holder and stuff it somewhere in the car where it's secure.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Speaking of laptops, I have a tiny Lenovo with 10" screen and an SSD. The battery life is good for a few hours and it fits in the glovebox, and the glovebox door shuts. It will log indefinitely with a car power adapter. I also plan to do a video out from my laptop to my 7" slideout Eclipse (avn7000) headunit for an auxiliary input. Logging works great with the little laptop and you should be able to pick one up for less than $150. Its a Lenovo Ideapad S10 and is at least 3 years old now.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
Speaking of laptops, I have a tiny Lenovo with 10" screen and an SSD. The battery life is good for a few hours and it fits in the glovebox, and the glovebox door shuts. It will log indefinitely with a car power adapter. I also plan to do a video out from my laptop to my 7" slideout Eclipse (avn7000) headunit for an auxiliary input. Logging works great with the little laptop and you should be able to pick one up for less than $150. Its a Lenovo Ideapad S10 and is at least 3 years old now.
You might be on to something there. Especially since I learned the entry level Surface won't run native Windows apps. Hard wire in a power adapter and it's worth letting it datalog every track session much in the same way I always run a camera.

There are a bunch for ~$150 on eBay.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning: DME Logger!