Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VNT,,, Oh yeah I said it

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
dnovak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VNT,,, Oh yeah I said it

As some of you Colorado 951ers know Josh (Rouge) and myself (FRF) have been playing around with VNT technology. Mainly Josh has been playing with the electronics and I made sure we can make it fit!

So here we go....

About a month ago Josh and I were talking turbo's while drinking Vodka and Gin on the deck while the wives were inside talking shoes and jewelry. We were discussing compound setups and quick spool valves etc.. and VGT came up in the back and forth bantering. For those who do not know VGT stands for Variable Geometry Turbine and they are commonly used on Dodge 6.7 Cummins trucks. It is a Holset turbo and some of you know we are very proud of Holset so that is the turbo I wanted to use. Josh in his infinite wisdom said no we need to use the Garret VNT turbo (Variable Nozzle Turbine) because it has a control system that can be adapted / programmed for our cars! Well a few drinks later and we had a plan! I sourced the turbo’s form the 6.0 Power stroke and Josh would start the control program. So, fast forward one week........ Josh , Sid and myself test the Turbo I sourced to make sure it can be controlled, , , , , YEP, sure enough It can be!!!! So Fast forward a few more days and I have it in place of my old turbo..... HUGE....... BIG....... did I say it takes up some space because it takes up some SPACE, but it will fit!!! First test, will it work, SID Josh and myself start up the car,,,,, WOW LOUD then very very quiet when the turbine gets choked off.... kind of like a electronic exhaust system. Fast forward a few days, first test drive,,,, its working but not quite right... These are still the first tests so no big deal,, Josh decides to add RPM to the equation and WOW boost at 1/8th throttle, 5psi at 2200 RPM in fourth, actually un drivable while just cruising but when you put your foot down hold on tight because it will not stop pulling. The Colorado guys who were just on the drive can vouch for this.. Turbo wine while still in Vacuum, Yes I said still in vacuum and because it is like and electronic exhaust all you hear is the turbo spooling till the controller starts to open up the massive exhaust housing then it is like hello I have some horse power under the hood. So on to last night,,, Josh added a TPS pick up to the new controller and now we have a drivable system, up to half throttle, then its hold on to your *** it’s time to go!!!! The VNT control does not use the aggressive Map till half throttle so normal driving is just that, NORMAL, but when you put your foot down it builds boost unlike any turbo that I would guess any of us could imagine. My wife's factory k26/6 with an A tune does not even compare to spooling like this massive turbo will. Here are a few pictures of the engine bay with the turbo installed. Josh and I will Log the system when we add the additional Back Pressure MAP sensor to the equation then I will put this on a Dyno to show how everything is working.

My Motor Bay is a bit cluttered right now but I will make it look pretty soon enough.
Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2012, 07:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

is that the one off the 6.0PSD? if so i have quite a bit of seat time in a truck with that motor and you are right in saying that there is power at any throttle position...if you get the '03 model it is a bit louder than the later ones too (different exhaust wheel)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
dnovak
Racer

2003 6.0 power-stroke, 10 blade turbine. Highest flowing one they made. There are ome upgrades that can be made to flow even more air!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Very cool! The innovation from you Colorado guys is amazing! Incredible fab work dnovak!

Joshua has quite a future in this industry if you ask me! He is a special talent and I can only say that I am thankful he somehow decided to buy a 951 years ago. Who knows how long the 951 will have his attention but lets hope it is for a good bit longer.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM
dnovak
Racer

That is what I keep saying,,, I think as long as we keep pushing him he will stick with Porsche's. Also I love being close to two other 951ers that have my mentality, WHY NOT MAKE IT WORK, not IT WILL NOT WORK...
Sid and Josh are both great friends!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Ok,now you guys are just showing off............but I like it so much,don't stop!- in my "Grandmas Boy" voice.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the complements!

The VNT setup is sooo cool! The spool on Dave's 2.5L is simply ridiculous. Without the TPS % inclusion, the controller was always trying to make boost as fast as possible, causing massive surging. This turbo can spool insanely fast for its size. Adding TPS position, we now scale how much of the 3D VNT position table to use. This makes the car extremely driveable! Next we will include the 5bar MAP sensor setup to measure drive pressure (pre-turbo back-pressure). Using this as a limiter, so we can ensure the best possible performance by keeping back-pressure at a minimum.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
dnovak
Racer

We will keep on trucking out here in Colorful Colorado in my truckers voice
I love that movie, Grandma's Boy, btw.......

Also, not showing off,,, but pushing the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
dnovak
Racer

Yeah, What josh said LOL
Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Who knows how long the 951 will have his attention but lets hope it is for a good bit longer.
Originally Posted by p5th
Ok,now you guys are just showing off............but I like it so much,don't stop!- in my "Grandmas Boy" voice.
Don't worry - I have a few more things coming out soon that are also very cool!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Wow, that is getting pretty tricky - well done.
Hope it turns into a truly marketable setup
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
dnovak
Racer

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Don't worry - I have a few more things coming out that are also very cool!
I can vouch for this!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah im glad I live in Colorado so I can be see all this going down!!!! Pretty soon ill have a 500 hp 951 rocket ship too.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the holy grail of turbos for our cars.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Very cool! The innovation from you Colorado guys is amazing! Incredible fab work dnovak!

Joshua has quite a future in this industry if you ask me! He is a special talent and I can only say that I am thankful he somehow decided to buy a 951 years ago. Who knows how long the 951 will have his attention but lets hope it is for a good bit longer.
+1

Quick Reply: VNT,,, Oh yeah I said it