Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 Turbo RS Wing –going back into production here in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 968 Turbo RS Wing –going back into production here in the USA

SSI Motorsports (Rennlist Sponsor) in Parkville MD is looking to guage interest in the market for the 968 Turbo RS adjustable rear wing. We’re partnering with a prominent supplier to ALMS and Grand Am wings to re-create the orignal "Phase 2" style 968 Turbo wing - made in the USA.

Unlike other vendors selling similar products we will have products in stock and we answer the phones all day long (8-6 EST). Once full production begins, we will be stocking 5-10 wings for same day shipping once you place an order

We are currently having a prototype fabricated so we can display it - but here's what we anticipate it will have.

Features:

1) Made and sold in the US – no international calls, international shipping, duty, or time zone issues that you may have experiened when looking for this sort of wing from some suppliers in Europe

2) All Carbon Fiber construction (no fiberglass core) – lighter and stronger than other wings on the market – will not flex under high downforce load

3) Exact duplication of the Turbo RS wing profile and wing mount portions

4) Airfoil section will show the hand-laid carbon fiber weave. Wing ends and trim pieces will also be in carbon and will be primer ready for painting – no sanding needed. We intend these to be the highest quality wings on the market

5) For 944 hatches, the 968 trim pieces will also be included for a small extra cost. Installation instructions and jig to ensure exact placement for mounting holes in the aluminum hatch frame (like the factory 968 setup) - no need to get the costly 968 hatch or trim pieces

6) Wing will feature 5 position adjustability built into the wing – no additional parts needed unlike other designs

7) For a small additional cost, the wing end plates and trim can be laid to show the carbon weave in addition to the wing center section

8) For racers – adjustable carbon wickers can be added into the wing trailing edge. Wing is engineered such that the wickers can be changed in less than a minute – multiple heights available

Prototypes are under construction and we expect pricing to be (for the basic model)

- 968 hatch complete wing kit - $1200
- 944hatch complete wing kit + 3 trim pieces - $1300
- For visible carbon fiber weave for the complete wing, trim pieces and wind ends - add $250

Need to have 5 orders to make this worthwhile for us to continue with it – 7 orders will drop the price by $50, 10 orders by $100

Please PM or post questions or let me know if there is any interest.

Thanks,

Matt from SSI Motorsports
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome, I can't commit to it, but this needs to be done!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good fitting bolt on wings are hard to come by for 944's. Although I would be interested in in the 968 kit you are proposing I would be more interested in a bolt on GT racing style LeMan's wing. The fiberglass GT racing LeMan's wing is a terrible PITA to fit requiring a ton of custom sanding, filling etc to fit well. If you could do a fiberglass or carbon LeMan's style with hardware attached sp that is a simple bolt on affair I would be all in.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

I probably won't be jumping into this until I use my car on the track more. But, I can vouch for SSI's excellent work and great communication. No doubt this will be a quality product.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt,
I would be interested in at least 2 units for our 944 track cars
Max
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for coordinating this. I might be interested but prefer the 968 hoop style spoiler for a 951. Also, can you guys redesign the original 944/951 spoiler to make it more stylish and functional to give folks more options and spread the price points. Not everyone like the RS style spoiler- I myself don't hate it but don't love it either as it's too racy looking for street use, and would appreciate a couple of other options that is not the TRS adjustable design.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am interested but would like to see fitment before committing. I have a replica 968 hoop spoiler on my car and it was alot of work to make it look acceptable; not something i want to do again.

Will the center trim piece be made so it mounts directly to the 944/951 hatch frame? The 968 frame has tabs on the back rather than countersunk holes.

I am not familiar with the RS wing mounting, but do the uprights line up with the mounting holes from the standard 944 hatch frame?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 PM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you'll also attract more buyers if you made a less expensive spoiler out of fiberglass (with carbon fiber options if desired). This would be geared towards the non racer owner who only wants it for aesthetics and nothing more.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM
SSI Performance
Former Vendor

Default LeMan's Wing

I can have a LeMan's style wing built, we would need 5 orders with deposits to make them. The price would be around $1000.00 ea. if this number is in the ball park I have a LeMan's wing I can send it out to have them made. The wing would be all carbon this company will not build any fiberglass parts.

Originally Posted by s14kev
Good fitting bolt on wings are hard to come by for 944's. Although I would be interested in in the 968 kit you are proposing I would be more interested in a bolt on GT racing style LeMan's wing. The fiberglass GT racing LeMan's wing is a terrible PITA to fit requiring a ton of custom sanding, filling etc to fit well. If you could do a fiberglass or carbon LeMan's style with hardware attached sp that is a simple bolt on affair I would be all in.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

$1000 is a little rich for me. I would consider $5-600 for a bolt on LeMans wing in FG reasonable.

Given that the turbo RS wing is much more complex with more fab work required (multiple pieces, adjustable flaps) I can understand the >$1000 price in CF. The LeMans wing I was hoping would be much simpler to produce and comparatively cheaper. However I may be missing something about the costs of working with CF.

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
I can have a LeMan's style wing built, we would need 5 orders with deposits to make them. The price would be around $1000.00 ea. if this number is in the ball park I have a LeMan's wing I can send it out to have them made. The wing would be all carbon this company will not build any fiberglass parts.
Attached Images   
Old 07-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Our vendor gave us an updated yesterday - we should have the finished phase 2 wing approx 8/20. We'll put the pictures up and start taking deposits at that point. Once we get to 5 deposits, we should be able to ship within a week.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

MaxEnergy - we'll put your down tentatively for the first two out of the molds. You are running 944 hatches I assume? Lexan or Glass?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Sounds interesting. I am in the middle of some engine work currently so I won't jump in now, but in the near future is something I will want to consider.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you also make the standard 968 Turbo S wing center with the smaller lip?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Can you also make the standard 968 Turbo S wing center with the smaller lip?
We can probably do something with this - but the costs will essentially be the same. Costs are in the engineering/mold development more so than in the actual carbon layup.

If we can get to 5 or 6 orders it's may be something we can pursue later in the year.

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo RS Wing –going back into production here in the USA