Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 951 radio wiring harness help

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 951 radio wiring harness help

I recently purchased an 86 951 that had an aftermarket radio already installed. Fuse #28 (labeled reverse lights/power mirrors/rear wiper) kept popping and it would kill all above mentioned items as well as the radio. I took the radio out today and found one heck of a crappy wiring job. All factory connectors cut off and butt connectors everywhere, and the PO tapped into the wire running to the rear wiper switch to power the radio for some reason.

I'm trying to correct all the wiring, but don't know what all the wires are. I took a pic of the three bundles in question, but it's not letting me add...I'll try again later.

Far left bundle (with individual factory connectors still on each):
- red with black stripe
- big brown
- big red with white stripe

Center bundle:
- big brown (x2)
- red with white stripe
- red with black stripe (x3)
- green (x2)

Right bundle (pretty sure these are all the speakers):
- black
- brown with black stripe
- yellow
- brown with yellow stripe
- white
- brown with white stripe
- red
- brown with red stripe

Last edited by SCEV; 05-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Here's the pic (guess you can't upload from an iPad)...
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Download volume 4 and look at page 189.
http://the944.com/manuals.htm
Colors are in German but are listed at bottom of page. Sometimes they get cut off the bottom on some pages. Here is a good description of how to read the pages.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...t=colors+wires
Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Download volume 4 and look at page 189.
http://the944.com/manuals.htm
Colors are in German but are listed at bottom of page. Sometimes they get cut off the bottom on some pages. Here is a good description of how to read the pages.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...t=colors+wires
I can't get the link for Volume 4 to work...tried Googling for it and can't seem to find a downloadable version.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

His server must be down. These are a little smaller and are for the 86 model, look at sheet 12.
http://thedge.info/rennlist/manuals/...g_Diagrams.pdf

All the rest of them
http://thedge.info/rennlist/manuals/
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
SCEV
Instructor

Okay, looked through the drawing for a little while...pretty clear the far right bundle is all the speakers. As for the other two bundles, I'm still a little confused.

- Diagram only shows 1 brown wire, which is grounded to MP II. I have three brown wires (1 in left bundle with connector still on it, and 2 in center bundle).

- Diagram only shows 2 red/black wires, which go to the antenna amplifier. I have 4 red/black wires (1 in left bundle with connector still on it, and 3 in center bundle).

- Diagram only shows 1 red/white wire, which is constant power from fuse 39 (15A). I have 2 red/white wires (1 in left bundle with connector still on it, 1 in center bundle).

- From the diagram, it shows one of the green wires is switched power from fuse 36 (7.5A), and the other goes to the clock. My clock doesn't currently work, so I'm hoping when I connect these two together the clock will come back to life (fingers crossed). However, it looks like this is also what supplies power to the light in the glove box, and that works. How is the glove box light currently getting power with the green wire for the clock not connected to the switched power?

I'll get out my tester when I get off work today and try to verify which is which, but I'm thinking the center bundle is for the radio. But there are an extra brown (most likely ground) and red/black. Any idea what these are for? If this is true, any idea what the bundle of three cables on the left is for (the ones with connectors still on each wire)?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Okay, I think I figured out what all the wires are...the extra ones mentioned in my post above are from the diagram with equalizer/booster. I guess even though I don't have this option, the wires are still there. So below is a summary to recap in case anyone else finds themselves in my situation.

Bundle #1 (far left in picture above) is for the equalizer/booster:
- red with white stripe = constant power from fuse 39
- brown = ground that ties to ground at the back of the radio
- red with black stripe = antenna amp that ties into one of the antenna wires at the back of the radio

Bundle #2 (center in picture above) is for the radio:
- brown (x2) = 1 goes to ground MPII, the other goes to the equalizer/booster
- red with white stripe = constant power from fuse 39
- red with black stripe (x3) = all antenna amp, two go back to the antenna amp, one goes to the equalizer booster
- green (x2) = one is switched power from fuse 36, the other takes this same switched power to the clock

Bundles #3 (far right in picture above) is for the speakers:
- white = FL speaker +
- brown with white stripe = FL speaker -
- black = FR speaker +
- brown with black stripe = FR speaker -
- yellow = RL speaker +
- brown with yellow stripe = RL speaker -
- red = RR speaker +
- brown with red stripe = RR speaker -

Now the only question I have is...do I need to connect the 3 antenna cables to anything on my aftermarket radio?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The antenna has a built in amp and they work poorly with it disconnected. So, you need to connect it to switched power from your radio. Could be called power antenna or ext amp.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

interesting I have an 86 and I don't have all the same wires as you, I was also cursed with a poor radio install so who knows what the PO has done. Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Sentinelist
Pro

Keeping this thread open! I just hacked into and tore out a Kenwood harness last night. Fresh factory baseline now, hoping to successfully connect up a Becker CDR-220 tonight with these tips. It seems my 96 also has the wiring for the EQ- I've identified my speaker wires and the 4 others for hookup.

Thought about hooking the fader controller back up for nostalgia, but we'll see... what does the dangling harness #4 do?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
SCEV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Keeping this thread open! I just hacked into and tore out a Kenwood harness last night. Fresh factory baseline now, hoping to successfully connect up a Becker CDR-220 tonight with these tips. It seems my 96 also has the wiring for the EQ- I've identified my speaker wires and the 4 others for hookup.

Thought about hooking the fader controller back up for nostalgia, but we'll see... what does the dangling harness #4 do?
Are you talking about the harness that actually has a #4 wrapped around it? If so, pretty sure that is for the power lock switch option. I don't have power locks, but the harness was there in my car as well...
Old 05-25-2012, 03:46 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Originally Posted by SCEV
Are you talking about the harness that actually has a #4 wrapped around it? If so, pretty sure that is for the power lock switch option. I don't have power locks, but the harness was there in my car as well...
That's it- yes no power locks on mine. Thanks for the ID!

Quick Reply: 86 951 radio wiring harness help