Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Issues with using 12.9 turbo mounting bolts ? Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Issues with using 12.9 turbo mounting bolts ? Anyone ?

I replaced my perfectly good stock turbo mounting bolts ( 8.8) when I replace the stock turbo, with the Vitesse (Garrett) turbo. At the time, I thought it might be a good idea to replace the stock allen head bolts with McMaster Carr bolts I bought
Now that I have it all together, it occurred to me that because the hardness of the bolts are different, so would the torque values would be different. Very different! Like 33 ft max torque different.... My plan was to go to something like 28 ft lbs OR just replace with the stock bolts of course that would require me lowering the drivers side steering rack, to get the long 130mm bolt out and replace it with the stock 125mm one...
I would obviously like to just torque it up to 28 ft lbs and forget it, but I don't want this to bite me in the *** later .... Has anyone had problems using these bolts and do you think 28 ft lbs is enough for it to stay put ?? I also don't want to run the risk of crackling the turbo's mounting area with the higher torque values !!
Would love to hear experienced input on this issue....
Thanks in advance
Ed
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

No idea, have you started your car yet though?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
No idea, have you started your car yet though?
Hey Let's not jump the gun here !!! It's only been 4 months since it last ran !!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The turbo mounting bolts are not torque to yield, so the torque value does not change regardless of bolt grade.

Also its been a long time since i did my turbo but if i remember right there is no specific torque spec for those bolts in the manual, so by default all M8 bolts should be torqued to about 15ft-lbs.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The turbo mounting bolts are not torque to yield, so the torque value does not change regardless of bolt grade.

Also its been a long time since i did my turbo but if i remember right there is no specific torque spec for those bolts in the manual, so by default all M8 bolts should be torqued to about 15ft-lbs.
I thought the same thing.... but I don't believe that is correct ???
When I did the front crank pulley, I torqued it to only 7 ft lbs and those bolts are 10.9 Well, they started to back out !!! I damn near crapped in my pants when I saw the bolts backing out, as I was pulling everything off to do the oil pan ( they were only in for 500 miles). Then I looked and saw this chart on the web http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorque.aspx
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes torque values are different. I would say to add some loctite.

I did that with mine.....turbo has not fallen off yet with 5500km since install.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That torque table notes that the values are derived from "75% of proof load", that's why they change with the grade. In structural applications bolts are usually torqued to 50 or 75% of their yield strength.

As Technoduck said, as long as you aren't yielding the bolt, an 8.8 fastener will generate the same compressive force in the joint as a 10.9 fastener, at the same torque. It is mostly a function of the thread pitch, angle, and friction.

Use the stock values for torque on these and you will be fine. Use lock washers if you want. I don't think Loctite would help much as it softens at 350-400F IIRC.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Yes torque values are different. I would say to add some loctite.

I did that with mine.....turbo has not fallen off yet with 5500km since install.
Originally Posted by mclarenno9
That torque table notes that the values are derived from "75% of proof load", that's why they change with the grade. In structural applications bolts are usually torqued to 50 or 75% of their yield strength.

As Technoduck said, as long as you aren't yielding the bolt, an 8.8 fastener will generate the same compressive force in the joint as a 10.9 fastener, at the same torque. It is mostly a function of the thread pitch, angle, and friction.

Use the stock values for torque on these and you will be fine. Use lock washers if you want. I don't think Loctite would help much as it softens at 350-400F IIRC.
Hey Guys
Thanks very much for your input ....
OK the bolts were already in and were treated with anti-seize, as the last thing I wanted was to have them strip when I try to remove them That's why I went with a 12.9 bolt ( In hindsight) I wish I just stuck with the stock bolts as I removed mine and they were in pristine shape. I did torque to a higher value (did it already before I read this ). I only went to about 20ft lbs ... I do have a little different set up when it comes to the turbo mount itself ( the Garret I have, uses an O ring and a thick paper gasket piled on top of one another, so there may be more of a squish factor..?
After 500 miles, the bolts did have a 1/2 and a 1/4 turn added to them respectively to the 15 ft lb setting... So, I was concerned they might loosen up again
Best regards
Ed
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I think the gasket may be working against you at first until it compresses to a final thickness from all of the heat cycles. There are two different metals with much different expansion rates at this joint as well. The anti-seize is probably the icing on the cake, as it can greatly lower the friction coefficient between the threads, depending on the type used.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
Yes, I think the gasket may be working against you at first until it compresses to a final thickness from all of the heat cycles. There are two different metals with much different expansion rates at this joint as well. The anti-seize is probably the icing on the cake, as it can greatly lower the friction coefficient between the threads, depending on the type used.

I saw that. It seems if you use oil ( lubricant ) it can increase the torque valve by as much as 10% ..so you need to take that into account and lower the setting on your wrench. I used this stuff called Copaslip ...
Thanks again for your advice
Regards
Ed
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I say just use the same grade of bolt the factory used. Use loctite where the factory used it. Porsche knows best...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I say just use the same grade of bolt the factory used. Use loctite where the factory used it. Porsche knows best...
In hindsight ... that's exactly what I would do if I had to do it all over again.....
I just thought it was outrageous, to pay 20 bucks for one bolt....
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Eddie get that dammed car together so we can hit 280 and see what she will do!!! Its coming together nicely!!! Keep at it!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spanky
Eddie get that dammed car together so we can hit 280 and see what she will do!!! Its coming together nicely!!! Keep at it!
Hey Vic
From your lips to God's ears !!

Quick Reply: Issues with using 12.9 turbo mounting bolts ? Anyone ?