Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New aftermarket exhaust does'nt fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New aftermarket exhaust does'nt fit

My technician and I just finished installing a complete SFR exhaust from the rear of the turbo to the muffler tip. There were more than a few mounting difficulties to overcome, but that's another story for another time. The real problem is that the system ends up being about 6" too short. The tip is way under the rear bumper, which not only looks ridiculous, but I would imagine is going to leave it's mark all over the rear of my car.

I've tried to email SFR at both addresses 3 times. It keeps bouncing back. And I'm clicking on the addresses on the home web page. I've called and talked to Tim before, and let's just say I'm not the least bit impressed with his customer service.

Seeking advice from the Forum.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:41 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tim is usually easy to reach by phone and has worked out several problems for me.

1-619-441-1359
1-619-654-3532
Old 01-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Are you saying the tip is 6" short of the bumper or the rear valance? My SFR exhaust sticks about 1.5"-2" past the valance, but is still way short of clearing the bumper completely. This is with either the muffler or straight pipe in BTW
Old 01-11-2003, 01:59 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Patrick,

I didnt realize there was a problem with our email till today. You can reach my personal email which is on another server at timer1@***.net. As far as my customer service goes.......you called, I answered your questions. I thought you were satisified because you said thanks Tim and hung up. If you wanted to talk some more I would have been more then happy too;^)

As far as the exhaust goes, our cat-back does not come out past the rear bumper. I thought it looks better if it ends underneath the rear bumper. If you guys want a long exhaust that comes out past the bumper, this is not a problem. All I have to do is extend the tip a little which is very easy to do. I will send you out a new muffler Patrick and this should solve your issues.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just can't bear the thought of an SFR exhaust being under someone's car! Those things should be mounted on your walls! They are works of art and shouldn't be subjected to such abuse...
Old 01-11-2003, 03:52 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Our regular email is back up.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:53 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

I did get a hold of Tim by phone, and he ATTEMPTED to answer my questions. I terminated the conversation because I quickly realized the answers being provided were not even CLOSE to a proper solution. Like, attaching the short downpipe to the back of the turbocharger. Ain't NO WAY hex bolts, screw caps or anything else was going to work near the tight bend of the downpipe. Not possible to get a flat seal. Crush rings or not. We ended up using studs.

I would appreciate you sending the piece(s) you offered above. I will return the "short" setup immediately.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

I did get a hold of Tim by phone, and he ATTEMPTED to answer my questions. I terminated the conversation because I quickly realized the answers being provided were not even CLOSE to a proper solution. Like, attaching the short downpipe to the back of the turbocharger. Ain't NO WAY hex bolts, screw caps or anything else was going to work near the tight bend of the downpipe. Not possible to get a flat seal. Crush rings or not. We ended up using studs.

I would appreciate you sending the piece(s) you offered above. I will return the "short" setup immediately.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Sorry for the double post. The new Quick Reply box prompted an errant click.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Click the time "next" arrow. There are continued responses.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Click on the tiny "next" arrow below right to continue this thread.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:16 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Ain't NO WAY hex bolts, screw caps or anything else was going to work near the tight bend of the downpipe. Not possible to get a flat seal. Crush rings or not. We ended up using studs </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I was able to use the supplied allen bolts on the turbo to downpipe connection, but needed to shorten an allen wrench for access room, if this is the same location you are talking about.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

I did NOT receive any supplied allen bolts. Sounds like it might have made a difference. I also didn't receive any new crush rings, which I was originally charged $40 for, but Tim agreed to refund. I would also like to mention that my check to Tim was deposited by him last November 25th. I received the exhaust AFTER Christmas. Tim explained to me that they were expanding the shop and his machines were down because of that. Had I known that, I would have postponed the order or gone to another vendor.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:23 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTEI did NOT receive any supplied allen bolts] [/QUOTE]

Ok, then I do see your problem, allen bolts make the mounting easier
Old 01-12-2003, 03:40 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Patrick,

You should have received some allen heads with your exhaust. This is the best way to get the downpipe to fit correctly. I will send out allen heads with the new muffler. I am sorry about the delays. We did expand our shop which required some remodeling and for us to move some of our machinery around.

Quick Reply: New aftermarket exhaust does'nt fit