Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who here is using the Spec clutch for the LS V8 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who here is using the Spec clutch for the LS V8 conversion?

Who here is using the Spec clutch for the LS V8 conversion?

I just bought the Spec stage 3 clutch with their aluminum flywheel, and their pressure plate with their "light weight" option.

I also ordered a new OE clutch slave assembly.

My question is........

My previous Renegade Hybrids clutch setup did not use a spacer under the hydraulic clutch slave.

The new clutch slave kit from Spec has a spacer.

I asked Spec about it and they told me I have to measure to see if I needed to use the spacer.

Uh.... I have no idea what measurement should be, and where it should be taken from....

Seems silly to order their entire clutch package (flywheel to throwout bearing) and them not know if the spacer is required or not.

Anybody know?

TonyG
Old 10-22-2011, 08:35 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have their stage one kit with flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I did measure and needed the spacer. LS1tech.com has several very good posts on how to measure for one. Here is one post http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...need-shim.html
While you have the clutch out of the car could you measure the clutch splined hub to estimate how much spline engagement the hub has with the TT spline? There was some discussion it wasn't enough.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
I have their stage one kit with flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I did measure and needed the spacer. LS1tech.com has several very good posts on how to measure for one. Here is one post http://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tra...need-shim.html
While you have the clutch out of the car could you measure the clutch splined hub to estimate how much spline engagement the hub has with the TT spline? There was some discussion it wasn't enough.
Which bell housing are you using?

And my spline engagement is fine. My disks (both old and new) are the ones with the offset hubs

TonyG
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Stock C5 manual two-piece bell housing.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
Stock C5 manual two-piece bell housing.
Same as me.

It's probably safe to say that I need the spacer included in the kit then.

TonyG
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Depends on the slave cylinder. There are differences in the height between brands. I don't know where mine came from.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

I think I have an OEM slave cylinder. In fact, the slave cylinder I took out (from my original Renegade install in 2006) has the same part number as the one supplied by Spec.

Who supplied you your slave?

TonyG
Old 10-22-2011, 09:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks for posting about this. it will help a lot as i'm just a couple of weeks away from getting my spec kit. i called chop and left a message about what clutch i should order. he's not online at the moment cuz he's busy watching oklahoma slugging it out with texas tech. i'm curious as to how strong a clutch i need for what's going to be just regular spirited driving.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:48 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

I have no idea what brand the slave is and I didn't keep the measurements.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Spec clutch about 1,200 miles ago, and did not use the spacer. Just trial fit and check release before you put it all back together. My TO was gently resting on the PP fingers and now that it's broken in, has perfect release. Make sure you get the aluminum PP as well... it's awesome.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:48 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

One more thing....make certain you have the drive shaft properly engaging the pilot to get maximum clutch hub/DS spline engagement.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by DVC
I did the Spec clutch about 1,200 miles ago, and did not use the spacer. Just trial fit and check release before you put it all back together. My TO was gently resting on the PP fingers and now that it's broken in, has perfect release. Make sure you get the aluminum PP as well... it's awesome.
Did you get their aluminum flywheel and slave setup as well? Are you using the C5 2 piece bell housing?

I got their pressure plate with their light weight option... The frame of the pressure plate is steel, but the inside portion of the pressure plate is aluminum with a bolted on friction surface (similar to the aluminum flywheel).

TonyG
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyG
Did you get their aluminum flywheel and slave setup as well? Are you using the C5 2 piece bell housing?
Yes, I'm using the aluminum FW and aluminum PP with their stage 2 disk. I sourced the slave from GM parts online. BTW, the owner of Spec runs a 951 with an LS2 stroker motor, and told me not to use the spacer. I am using 7/8 Tillton M/C. Just have someone work the clutch pedal while you check release.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Tony, I didn't find the need to use this with our setup but, here it is in case:

http://www.ramclutches.com/Tech/Tech...%20Bearing.jpg
Old 10-23-2011, 12:25 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Funny that they said not to include the shim when in the included directions it states the shim will be needed. Every time this subject comes up I get nervous.

Quick Reply: Who here is using the Spec clutch for the LS V8 conversion?