Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Hmm, that is a bit odd. They look quite different. Actually your's looks like there was never a wheel well in the first place. I doubt that horizontal section on mine is an add on. Wonder if that's a difference between U.S. and ROW?
I had the same wheel well as yours. I just cut mine off, at a much higher point. The purpose being to be able to slide the trans back w/o interference.

But mine never had that "cross brace" which yours appears to have. In face, I don't remember that being on any of the 951's I've ever owned.

What year is your car?

TonyG
Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

It's an '86 with all converted '89 running gear. I'll see if I can't get some idea if we have others like this over here.

We had to modify the wheel well to make room for the oil cooler fitting.

What clutch are you running again?

I know you see full Cup Cars in the Group ahead of you and maybe earlier ones in your class. What about road going GT3s converted for track use sorta like yours?
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why the 8v engine?

My guess on weight is 2440#'s dry, w/o driver.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Wow pat that looks real nice!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Why the 8v engine?

My guess on weight is 2440#'s dry, w/o driver.
Loooonnnggggg story Sid but the power/tq should be fine in a car that light. Hope you're right about that too.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Wow pat that looks real nice!
Thanks Paulyy, I was just thinking the same thing about your project. Not long for you now!!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Not to long now, probably a few weeks left, just waiitng on a few bits and pieces to arive.

I can't believe you turnd your street/track 951 into a track only 951. it'll be a hell of a machine when finished though!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol. Pat you've gone mad with the mods....

Are you still just doing PCA sprints? Pity to do all the mods and not get into some real racing, but as far as I can see there isn't much to choose from in Oz?

Been looking for somewhere to run my car when it gets home but I fear it will end up just a glorified track day car as well. Let me know if you have found some suitable door to door competition to suit these cars.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Paulyy, our cars are getting too fast not to have cages plus I always wanted a track car for it's responsiveness. Owning a fast road car is counterproductive now in OZ anyway. Too many fines, cops, and cameras, not to mention the ever increasing band of idiots sharing the roads. The less time I'm on them the better.

Look to Prod Sports Steve. Hell, I was even thinking about Sports Sedans. Truth of the matter is that I have suspended the idea of door to door for now. Can't afford to crash the car so I'm going to minimise my chances for now and just do Time Attacks and State/Club sprints. There's a National series of TimeAttack starting. So it's just like qualifying in essence. When you're on track with similar speed cars you can sort of race anyway.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't afford to crash the car so I'm going to minimise my chances for now...
It gets easier after you do it a few times haha. You learn to be less fussy about cosmetics!

Looks like you are putting together a pretty decent car. I see you couldn't resist the PDM after we talked about it, lol. Put a fuel cell in it and you could ship it to UAE and run it in the GT series

My car currently weighs 1138kg (approx 2508lbs) with a tank of fuel, but I still have steel doors (lightened). Yours might be similar.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very Nice!

Patrick, what's the benifit of full floating rotors?
How do think the Motec dash would work for a street/track application? overkill?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd change this thread to encompass much of the rest of the build now that we've covered more than just the Broadfoot nose piece question.

So here is the specs so far. There will be the odd change made to it but essentially this is it currently or being completed now.

D9 GTS lights replacing the stock pop up system.
A couple of different splitters to choose from.
993 Oil cooler.
Custom front mount intercooler.
Engine bay seam welded and repainted.
Full carbon fibre hood with D9 vents.
A/C & heater removed.
Smaller alternator w/ CEP bracket.
Custom SFR 3.5" - 5" S/S exhaust.
Moton Clubsport 2 way adj coilovers with OEM torsion bars removed.
Big Reds on CEP full floating slotted rotors.
Racers Edge A arms, billet hubs and solid bushings all round.
Tarrett adj swaybars front and rear.
LR Semi solid engine mounts.
All the stock brake system removed.
Stock fuse box removed. Replaced with Motec PDM30. Very slick and programmable way of getting rid of fuses and relays. http://www.motec.com/aboutpowerdistr...utionoverview/
All the stock wiring and harness removed.
New heated windscreen.
Full fibreglass dashboard with all the OEM 'stuff' underneath removed. (big weight saving)
Motec SDL3 Dash and SLM programmable shift light module. These are all my gauges! http://www.motec.com/displayssdl3/displayssdl3overview/ http://www.motec.com/slm/slmoverview/
Tilton floor mounted pedal and dual m/c setup.
Extended Steering wheel boss with quick release hub.
OMP raceseat moved back and down with welded in reinforced runners.
Custom control panel within reach.
RSR Carbon doors. These weigh something like 2-3 kgs with lexan windows installed. (not sure if these are going to work just yet)
Fully stripped and caged and repainted interior. In a metallic silver. Cage goes through to front strut towers.
Stock roof with hatch replaced by single skin unit. Good gain in headroom.
Spare wheel well modified to be shortened by removing about 10cms off the base. 2x 044s and Surge tank to go in there.
Fully rebuilt and customised by California Motorsports 968 6 speed. Strengthened and increased cooling being the mods. See the custom billet sideplate in pics. Stayed with the stock gearing for now. KAAZ 6 plate 45/90 LSD.
LR race axles and CVs.
OEM Mo30 rear brakes for now.
Full lexan rear hatch.
Wheels are 10.5" and 11.5" x 18" Fikse Mach V all black anodised. Either 315/18" Nitto NT01 on all 4 corners or Hoosier 305 / 320 R80 full slicks.
Broadfoot GT2 widebody flares.

Not far off:
Dry sumped 3L 8v racemotor. Motec or LINK ECU.
Dual element rear wing from DJ engineering U.K. (Simon McBeath is a very accomplished / published aerodynamicist)
Currently car is being fully redone using Milspec wire. Much lighter too.

Any guesses how much the car will weigh?

Unfortunately probably going to move the control panel as it really doesn't work with passenger / instruction.
That car will be really good once you get the steering wheel moved to the proper side!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dubai944
It gets easier after you do it a few times haha. You learn to be less fussy about cosmetics!

Looks like you are putting together a pretty decent car. I see you couldn't resist the PDM after we talked about it, lol. Put a fuel cell in it and you could ship it to UAE and run it in the GT series

My car currently weighs 1138kg (approx 2508lbs) with a tank of fuel, but I still have steel doors (lightened). Yours might be similar.
I couldn't bear it just now. More time off the road just doesn't have much appeal.

2500lbs wet is very appealing however.

Originally Posted by tconn
Very Nice!

Patrick, what's the benifit of full floating rotors?
How do think the Motec dash would work for a street/track application? overkill?
A bit lighter than not, more choice with rotors (slotted are hard to find for Big Reds), supposedly better pad wear.

Depends what you actually want from your car and where you see yourself heading? The ability to datalog and have everything available at the touch of a button to scroll through is great. Stock gauges are fine also on a road car. btw I have a Racelogic setup for sale that I ran for a short while that allows you to have both. $1200 new, I'd sell it for $799 ex postage. It's not been used much at all.
http://www.race-technology.com/dl1_d...e_8_15176.html

Originally Posted by ehall
That car will be really good once you get the steering wheel moved to the proper side!
But you were saying how good you were at changing hands?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't bear it just now. More time off the road just doesn't have much appeal.

2500lbs wet is very appealing however.

A bit lighter than not, more choice with rotors (slotted are hard to find for Big Reds), supposedly better pad wear.

Depends what you actually want from your car and where you see yourself heading? The ability to datalog and have everything available at the touch of a button to scroll through is great. Stock gauges are fine also on a road car. btw I have a Racelogic setup for sale that I ran for a short while that allows you to have both. $1200 new, I'd sell it for $799 ex postage. It's not been used much at all.

But you were saying how good you were at changing hands?
Only when I with your Mum! She likes me to change it up!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

[/QUOTE]

I don't like having gauges spread all over to monitor everything
I want to monitor. Your setup looks like it would be a much cleaner solution to multiple gauges plus the benifit of being able to datalog.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Paulyy, our cars are getting too fast not to have cages plus I always wanted a track car for it's responsiveness. Owning a fast road car is counterproductive now in OZ anyway. Too many fines, cops, and cameras, not to mention the ever increasing band of idiots sharing the roads. The less time I'm on them the better.
Amen. Hallelujah.

And one of the reasons I stripped the car down was to build a cage. It accelerated so fast, there weren't may straight I couldn't accelerate to past 100mph before I hit a corner. I was NOT feeling very safe.

VERY nice patrick. well done. I see the black in all the other pics. BUT I asked someone here at home what color that one pic was, and they said a deep chrome green. So.. were both taking crazy pills maybe!?

You are sooooo close to driving this thing. can you taste it? I'm salivating all over my car everyday just dying to start her up and go straighten out the curves.

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)