Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

COOLANT IN OIL PAN...Possible Causes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLANT IN OIL PAN...Possible Causes??

I just picked up a used longblock and upon taking the oil pan off found green Coolant mixed into the oil. Should one automatically assume the head gasket is blown/leaking? If not the head gasket what else could have caused this? I am planning on putting engine in car soon and want to make sure I get this problem sorted. Thanks for you help.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a million reasons there's coolant in the oil pan beside head gasket. If it has you worried, take off the head and inspect the gasket. Should be easy, the engine's out.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mightaswell start replacing all the seals. never know what could be leaking
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Do the gasket and seals on the oil cooler housing, it's a well known water/oil mixing spot on the 944. With the engine out it'll be a doddle, but you may wish to get the alignment tool to ensure the oil pressure relief valvle is centered correctly, there's even measurements here somewhere if you are able to maching one up on a lathe...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

"Do the gasket and seals on the oil cooler housing, it's a well known water/oil mixing spot on the 944"

Ditto- that was my cause last year . Check that first especially if there is no power loss
Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks, I was hoping not to mess with finding TDC and timing belt tensioning but might as well change the head gasket while I have the engine out. Timing belt needs to be done sooner or later anyway. I have the oil cooler seel kit and widefire gasket so hopefully this fixes the issue. Hope to have the car running soon!

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the engine is out I would replace EVERY Seal!! (HeadGasket, Oil Cooler Seal, CamTower Gasket, RMS, Front Seals)

It's so easy to do with the engine out, and although you probably don't want to spend the extra time and money,,, It would suck to get the engine back in the car only to find out you have leaks.,...

and if you have/had coolant in the oil; What about Bearing Surfaces? Main/Rod Bearings? Did you do the Oil Pan Seal, and Rear Main Seal?

Ha ha ha, the list goes on! -I just wish I had my engine out, as i have done most of these jobs laying on my back underneath the car bleeding...

Quick Reply: COOLANT IN OIL PAN...Possible Causes??