Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

baby steps part three: sway bar(s) and crossover pipe insanity

Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM
incomplete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baby steps part three: sway bar(s) and crossover pipe insanity

so, bit by bit i'm heading towards the oil pan gasket and a ton of other work on the front end of my car. to that end, and since i know it's a loooooong task, i've been doing bits here and there.

since our company gave us our "holiday bonus" early (actual wad of cash in an envelope), i went to sears and stocked up on big metric wrenches, flexible ratchet wrenches (BEST THING EVAR), a torque wrench, etc etc. these would all prove rather handy today, to say the least.

so, first i pulled out the brake system heat shield and turbo pump:

then i started on the crossover pipe @ the turbo.

seriously: what the hell was porsche thinking?!?!

i got the first three off (top and bottom towards front of car, top towards rear), but the fourth and last one stymied ALL attempts at removal. i think i need a stubby 17mm box wrench to get it, and even though i'm pretty strong, it's gonna SUCK pulling it out.

the other thing i was wondering about was the bolt sizes for this connection. everything was a different size, which was incredibly irritating when trying to do things by pure feel. i discovered:

top bolt, front: 15mm head and nut
bottom bolt, front: 15mm head and 17mm nut
top bolt, rear: 13mm head and 15mm nut
bottom bolt, rear: 17mm head

is this to be expected? :\

after a rage-building hour or so, i decided to do something that i could complete. how about the wastegate!

the 10mm bolts connecting it to the crossover came out easy, but the 13mms at the base were so incredibly close to the body, i nearly stripped the head of one before i stopped. a quick stop at clark's gave me some info that i'll be trying out...

i also noticed that i was missing one of those four bolts, as well. good times. more rage.

and here is the collection the tools i accumulated/used/tried to use during this exercise in seeing how pissed i could get:

now i'm at very high levels of fail, and now it's getting dark. time to really see if there was anything i could reasonably do w/o either killing myself, destroying the part, of breaking the car.

how about the sway bar? i'm replacing all of mine w/a set off of a 968 (base model), so the front has to come off regardless. another quick stop at clarks to confirm the simplicity paid off: 6 bolts later, and it's out:

i measured it w/my calipers and it's a hair over 24mm or so thick (looks like 24.5, but my calipers only have english units on the dial). looking again at clark's garage's sway bar table (here: http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm), the closest match seems to be for an 85-91 m030 option 944 turbo.

is there a definite way to tell, other than the diameter? i didn't see a part number on it, and i'm unsure how to tell if it's (totally) tubular.

if it's indeed a m030, selling it should take a big bite out of the set i'm getting from the 968!

next installment: more rage, or how to take bolts out w/o going on a killing spree!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:34 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by incomplete
so, bit by bit i'm heading towards the oil pan gasket and a ton of other work on the front end of my car. to that end, and since i know it's a loooooong task, i've been doing bits here and there.

since our company gave us our "holiday bonus" early (actual wad of cash in an envelope), i went to sears and stocked up on big metric wrenches, flexible ratchet wrenches (BEST THING EVAR), a torque wrench, etc etc. these would all prove rather handy today, to say the least.

so, first i pulled out the brake system heat shield and turbo pump:

then i started on the crossover pipe @ the turbo.

seriously: what the hell was porsche thinking?!?!

i got the first three off (top and bottom towards front of car, top towards rear), but the fourth and last one stymied ALL attempts at removal. i think i need a stubby 17mm box wrench to get it, and even though i'm pretty strong, it's gonna SUCK pulling it out.

the other thing i was wondering about was the bolt sizes for this connection. everything was a different size, which was incredibly irritating when trying to do things by pure feel. i discovered:

top bolt, front: 15mm head and nut
bottom bolt, front: 15mm head and 17mm nut
top bolt, rear: 13mm head and 15mm nut
bottom bolt, rear: 17mm head

is this to be expected? :\

after a rage-building hour or so, i decided to do something that i could complete. how about the wastegate!

the 10mm bolts connecting it to the crossover came out easy, but the 13mms at the base were so incredibly close to the body, i nearly stripped the head of one before i stopped. a quick stop at clark's gave me some info that i'll be trying out...

i also noticed that i was missing one of those four bolts, as well. good times. more rage.

and here is the collection the tools i accumulated/used/tried to use during this exercise in seeing how pissed i could get:

now i'm at very high levels of fail, and now it's getting dark. time to really see if there was anything i could reasonably do w/o either killing myself, destroying the part, of breaking the car.

how about the sway bar? i'm replacing all of mine w/a set off of a 968 (base model), so the front has to come off regardless. another quick stop at clarks to confirm the simplicity paid off: 6 bolts later, and it's out:

i measured it w/my calipers and it's a hair over 24mm or so thick (looks like 24.5, but my calipers only have english units on the dial). looking again at clark's garage's sway bar table (here: http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm), the closest match seems to be for an 85-91 m030 option 944 turbo.

is there a definite way to tell, other than the diameter? i didn't see a part number on it, and i'm unsure how to tell if it's (totally) tubular.

if it's indeed a m030, selling it should take a big bite out of the set i'm getting from the 968!

next installment: more rage, or how to take bolts out w/o going on a killing spree!
88 Turbo S M030 swaybar is 26.8MM
968 M030 swaybar is 30mm
Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 AM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by lart951
88 Turbo S M030 swaybar is 26.8MM
968 M030 swaybar is 30mm
the two sites i've referenced from list the 1985-6 turbo m030 as having a 24mm sway (mine's an 86).

http://www.924.org/techsection/Suspe...reparation.htm
http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-15.htm

so, who knows. it's the internet and they could be wrong. i could call a local porsche dealer and ask their mechanics, or maybe pelican parts or something.

also, i'm not getting the m030 968 bars, just the regular ones (26.8mm).
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

24MM & 25.5 are almost standard, what you consider desirable upgrade is the 26.8mm and the 30mm.

I just sold this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250721188405

and this is the 968 m030
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 AM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by lart951
24MM & 25.5 are almost standard, what you consider desirable upgrade is the 26.8mm and the 30mm.
right. i'm just trying to identify what i just pulled off of the car, which appears to me to be the 85-86 951 m030 front swaybar.

i am upgrading to a 26.8, which should be arriving soon.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't think anybody here would call the 24mm a m030, except the manual, I had always known the 24mm and 25.5 as the standard turbo swaybars. But don't listen to me Iam kinda of a noob
Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 AM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

i have 3 25.5mm m030 sway bars collecting dust. lol just kidding. i have 3 stock turbo sways collecting dust. i have a 30mm installed and absolutely love it.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:44 AM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by MooreBoost
i have 3 25.5mm m030 sway bars collecting dust. lol just kidding. i have 3 stock turbo sways collecting dust. i have a 30mm installed and absolutely love it.
hah! funny guy!

yeah, i liked the handling of the car when it was running -- but i did think the shocks were a bit soft (kybs will do that), and there was more body roll than i expected. i'm expecting the konis (m030 kit, all four corners), lowering springs (on the car currently) and thicker 968 bars will do the trick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: baby steps part three: sway bar(s) and crossover pipe insanity