Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Incoloy 800.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I actually inquired a couple of months ago. The 1-4 header is NLA. The 2-3 header is on back-order, but the price was like $1k.

Humboltgrin, instead of dissing the OBX headers just cuz you want to justify having spent way too much on yours, try reading the entire thread. Some pioneering individuals tried them on their cars and they have lasted. Thanks to those people, we all have another header option to consider.
Amen!

And yes, I heard the same, recently.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JustinL
I had a look at that thread with those pics. They are nice arms for sure (I have a set on my race car). I'm glad you weren't discouraged from posting after you got some criticism about buying a cheap ebay bump steer kit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-steering.html
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

What frustrates me is how few genuine options for the 951 there are out there. SFR makes crap stuff nowadays, Lindsey went pear-shaped years ago, and anyone who might produce a decent product has what seems like a 10-year waiting list and crap customer service.

So kudos to those of you who put in the effort to try new products. It's times like this that give me a glimmer of hope and postpone my desire to just pony up for a car with a better aftermarket (kidding, but you know what I mean).
Old 07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
What frustrates me is how few genuine options for the 951 there are out there. SFR makes crap stuff nowadays, Lindsey went pear-shaped years ago, and anyone who might produce a decent product has what seems like a 10-year waiting list and crap customer service.

So kudos to those of you who put in the effort to try new products. It's times like this that give me a glimmer of hope and postpone my desire to just pony up for a car with a better aftermarket (kidding, but you know what I mean).
SRF makes "crap stuff"??? Tim may not be a board sponsor anymore, but I think I know him well enough that he would never skimp out on quality just to save a few bucks! Please elaborate on your claim.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So I asked Mike Lindsey about the factory headers and this is his comment:

"I believe there are 3 different materials used in the 951 header, the tubing is Inconel, the cast flanges are something else, same with the joint material where the tubes merge together."

Regards
Mike

And WTF is pear-shaped? The Lindsey brother have taken this car and provided many aftermaket solutions to many many problems related to these cars. As wall as SFR and Albert Broadfoot.
I'm going to stand by my comment that OBX is cheap! Your better off using used factory headers unless you want to buy a welder, kitty litter, lots of lead, and then the OBX headers so you can weld up there crapy welds an shove it into the kitty litter with your lead. Have fun with that.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:17 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
So I asked Mike Lindsey about the factory headers and this is his comment:

"I believe there are 3 different materials used in the 951 header, the tubing is Inconel, the cast flanges are something else, same with the joint material where the tubes merge together."

Regards
Mike

And WTF is pear-shaped? The Lindsey brother have taken this car and provided many aftermaket solutions to many many problems related to these cars. As wall as SFR and Albert Broadfoot.
I'm going to stand by my comment that OBX is cheap! Your better off using used factory headers unless you want to buy a welder, kitty litter, lots of lead, and then the OBX headers so you can weld up there crapy welds an shove it into the kitty litter with your lead. Have fun with that.

Actually if you do a little research Lindsey is less about product development and more about product documenting and repackaging. If you catch my drift. What they offer is good and fills a need but lets not make them into something they are not.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Humboldtgrin - you are starting to look somewhat like a troll. I really hope that view is wrong. This is a great place to learn and share ideas. A great deal of knowledge and experience can be found here.

Lets keep the dialog civil and devoid of personal insults . Lets keep it on topic.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Headers are off no broken welds, no cracks. One less than perfectly sealed exhaust gasket. Overall, they held up really well for a sub $300 header.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This wouldn't be Akrapovic would they?

Originally Posted by Voith
Factory are inconel, not mild steel. I will try to negotiate limited run of very special exhaust headers for our cars. I hope it works out.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JustinL
Headers are off no broken welds, no cracks. One less than perfectly sealed exhaust gasket. Overall, they held up really well for a sub $300 header.

Thanks Justin. Seems like a pretty pleasant surprise, especially for 275 bucks!
I know the 930 guys have been running
OBX stuff for a long time.
Maybe they are on to something?
Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, I just got an OBX 4-1 merge collector that I will be using for my exhaust build. It's 321 stainless, with 1.9" OD inlets and 2.5" V-band outlet. Nice looking unit. We'll see how this thing holds up.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:44 PM
BReif61
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

JustinL, were the welds reinforced before you ran the manifold? Or is it straight out of the box?
Old 08-07-2015, 12:51 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BReif61
JustinL, were the welds reinforced before you ran the manifold? Or is it straight out of the box?
Straight out of the box, same as mine. The only difference was usage. During the time we both had them installed my car saw heavy track usage and Justin's saw street usage as he had bought a dedicated 944 race car.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:25 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Yup as Chrenan said, straight out of the box. I did a few track events over the first couple years with these headers and probably one a year for the last 2 combined with fairly frequent street driving (at least once a week).

Quick Reply: Ebay Headers: I am the guinea pig