Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Airbag Delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Delete

Anyone ever deleted the dash airbag while recovering the dash?

Search sucks... so don't bother telling me to search, but if you turn up a thread, by all means post it!

Alternatively, anyone have a non-airbag dash for sale in or near VA? Not concerned with condition, just lack of airbag....

Also, while I know removing OEM safety equipment is a gray area (at least here) airbags were not mandatory untill the 90s, and the first airbag cars WERE available without them... I.E. my 87 951 has them, but my 88 N/A doesn't...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT? Are you trying to destroy the planet? Dont you realise how many top officials concidered all the insurance, medical, and safety aspects! OK John, just BSing you. I know theres and arming wire somewhere, just dont sit in front of it when you cut it. When they cut me out of my 51, I'm going to have a .45 in one hand, and my Momo in the other!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my airbags and had my dash recovered. I recovered the airbag cover and installed it so it looked as stock. It was easier than filling in the cracks, and my interior guy felt keeping the stock look would be better.

You can easily fill in the crease and just recover the dash to look non-airbag. It was just a personal preference when I had mine done. It came out very nice, and I used leather look vinyl. You can't really tell it's not leather. They have amazing synthetic materials available. They are much easier to stretch, and don't shrink in our hot summers here in AZ.

George
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Anyone ever deleted the dash airbag while recovering the dash?

Search sucks... so don't bother telling me to search, but if you turn up a thread, by all means post it!

Alternatively, anyone have a non-airbag dash for sale in or near VA? Not concerned with condition, just lack of airbag....

Also, while I know removing OEM safety equipment is a gray area (at least here) airbags were not mandatory untill the 90s, and the first airbag cars WERE available without them... I.E. my 87 951 has them, but my 88 N/A doesn't...
Send me you email address and I'll send you several links that should help. You're right, search sux!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IIRC jumping pins 3+4 on the harness side of the airbag controller should bypass the entire system.

EDIT: Attempt at your own risk. I claim no in depth knowledge of the. 944 airbag system I am simply reciting what I found here: http://www.944s2.com/default.htm
it also says it worked on a S2 so...
Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Better get rid of those damn things as soon as possible, just look what can happen if you don't!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
WHAT? Are you trying to destroy the planet? Dont you realise how many top officials concidered all the insurance, medical, and safety aspects! OK John, just BSing you. I know theres and arming wire somewhere, just dont sit in front of it when you cut it. When they cut me out of my 51, I'm going to have a .45 in one hand, and my Momo in the other!
LMFAO, thank you for that... I needed it, and laughed when I got the e-mail...

Originally Posted by George D
I removed my airbags and had my dash recovered. I recovered the airbag cover and installed it so it looked as stock. It was easier than filling in the cracks, and my interior guy felt keeping the stock look would be better.

You can easily fill in the crease and just recover the dash to look non-airbag. It was just a personal preference when I had mine done. It came out very nice, and I used leather look vinyl. You can't really tell it's not leather. They have amazing synthetic materials available. They are much easier to stretch, and don't shrink in our hot summers here in AZ.

George
Good to know, I can just fillit and forget it!

Originally Posted by ehall
Send me you email address and I'll send you several links that should help. You're right, search sux!
my RL user name AT aol.com, I have listed it several times...

Originally Posted by Dougs951
IIRC jumping pins 3+4 on the harness side of the airbag controller should bypass the entire system.

EDIT: Attempt at your own risk. I claim no in depth knowledge of the. 944 airbag system I am simply reciting what I found here: http://www.944s2.com/default.htm
it also says it worked on a S2 so...
I know I can jumper, and you can also "trick" the system by inserting a 100 ohm resistor into the airbag connector itself...

Originally Posted by JDS968
Better get rid of those damn things as soon as possible, just look what can happen if you don't!
OK, that is some funny shi-poop... poor bimmer owner... FWIW, my mother in law had all kinds of airbag problems with her Z3... seems like BMW has a trend!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done it. It's better to convert to a non-airbag dash, IMO. The airbag dash is much heavier than the non-airbag version.

What you will need is the dash (obviously), the glovebox latch (they changed from a push-button to a twist type and the mounting holes are placed different) and the glovebox insert. Optional are the glovebox door (there's a reinforcement in the airbag version) and the center support (the non-airbag version is much lighter). If you get the center support, make sure you get the thick washers that go under it too.

The airbag system is stand-alone with a single interface into the factory harness. You can remove the sensors while you have the dash out. A small pair of vice-grips will remove the rip nuts and cutting off the ends of the harness will let you pull it out from behind the HVAC plenum. IIRC, you will need to cut the studs off where the airbag computer was mounted - they interfere with the non-airbag glovebox insert.

I'm trying to remember if I used the glovebox insert support bracket from the airbag or non airbag car. I think I used the airbag one, but flipped it around and reattached the clip, but I'd get the bracket and clip from a non-airbag car just in case. I can get a picture of it if you want.

Here's how I did the airbag controller bypass until I replaced the main harness with a non-airbag version:

If you have any questions, shoot me an email or PM. My **** is all torn apart right now, so I can get more details/pictures for you if you want.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:46 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's my experience with PORSCHE and stupid airbags.....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...h-airbags.html

I have almost finished an airbag disable setup for mine, as I will not do this job again....

Keith
Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
Well, here's my experience with PORSCHE and stupid airbags.....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...h-airbags.html

I have almost finished an airbag disable setup for mine, as I will not do this job again....

Keith
I am removing the dash for recover, and will delete the airbags while I am in there...

I am doing the entire car once, I have finally settled into a configuration, but am keeping this one close to the chest!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The nicest mod I have seen for a dash is the alacantra dash that Mike did several years ago. It looked even better in person, I want to get one some day!

I did a quick search and it looks like the pics in the old thread are dead…too bad, it was really nice. Black alacantra with red stiching.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
The nicest mod I have seen for a dash is the alacantra dash that Mike did several years ago. It looked even better in person, I want to get one some day!

I did a quick search and it looks like the pics in the old thread are dead…too bad, it was really nice. Black alacantra with red stiching.
I have a few "mods" in mind for the dash... the recover is needed, and meant to tie everything together! There is only so much I can stuff into the stock cluster
Old 07-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I have a few "mods" in mind for the dash... the recover is needed, and meant to tie everything together! There is only so much I can stuff into the stock cluster
What? Are you going to put in a 'bud vase' holder like the VW Beetle?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Here ya go Chris:

Old 07-18-2010, 08:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"my RL user name AT aol.com, I have listed it several times..."

Don't get snippy bastage!
I'll send the links, etc. today.