Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil getting into coolant reservoir thru turbo cooler line

Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil getting into coolant reservoir thru turbo cooler line

I did my headgasket a week ago and car is running fine, green sludge was drained from the cooling system and today, after shutting it off, when I took the reservoir cap off I noticed oil creeping into the reservoir thru the top hose that goes over my MAF and it stopped when the turbo cooler stopped after 30 seconds. What can be causing this oil leak coming from the turbo coolant lines causing it to mix in the coolant reservoir?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Hopefully it is just from the oil that got in there and just not all out of the cooling system yet, takes a while to get out. it will come to the expansion tank as it is the highest point.. Could be the the oil cooler housing transfer tube O rings. I just put a car back together that sat for 3 years after timing belt failure that also had the cooler O rings leaking. It had chocolate milk looking coolant packed every where. have flushed it 4 times so far using Shout to break it down. Kinda was worried for a while that it was still leaking oil into the coolant but was not using oil.

Clifton
Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Headgasket? How many miles on this car? What happened?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by C ANDERSON
Hopefully it is just from the oil that got in there and just not all out of the cooling system yet, takes a while to get out. it will come to the expansion tank as it is the highest point.. Could be the the oil cooler housing transfer tube O rings. I just put a car back together that sat for 3 years after timing belt failure that also had the cooler O rings leaking. It had chocolate milk looking coolant packed every where. have flushed it 4 times so far using Shout to break it down. Kinda was worried for a while that it was still leaking oil into the coolant but was not using oil.

Clifton
The funny thing is, I've been draining it daily the last whole week from the top, the oil appeared yesterday and prior to yesterday, it was green sludge with water. When I took the lower radiator hose off after seeing the oil in the reservoir, I saw that no oil came down from the hose, so it was apparently only in the reservoir, I drove it a whole day with Dishwashing liquid thinking it was almost entirely flushed out until yesterday when that oil appeared....
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Headgasket? How many miles on this car? What happened?
Yea, headgasket, after replacing the oil cooler seals in November, it kept leaking oil in the coolant, so my mechanic said it can only be the HG, so he took it off (had it done July of 2007 last when it blew) and considering it had been 3 1/2 years since it was replaced, I said ok, do it, but after taking it off he said the HG looked fine but that the cam tower gasket did have leaks, so now I am back with this dilema, I'm thinking maybe turbo oil seals or turbo water pump maybe, any ideas?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
Yea, headgasket, after replacing the oil cooler seals in November, it kept leaking oil in the coolant, so my mechanic said it can only be the HG, so he took it off (had it done July of 2007 last when it blew) and considering it had been 3 1/2 years since it was replaced, I said ok, do it, but after taking it off he said the HG looked fine but that the cam tower gasket did have leaks, so now I am back with this dilema, I'm thinking maybe turbo oil seals or turbo water pump maybe, any ideas?
Two headgaskets in 4 years sounds like one too many to me.

What does the cam tower gasket leaking have to do with the headgasket? In my experience, when the cam tower leaks you get smoke from burning oil but the headgasket should remain intact. Same applies to the oil cooler seals and turbo cooling pump. On Turbo cars the cooler seals generally leak out of the system, not inside.

Is your car modified? Are you running higher boost than stock? You really shouldn't have any issues with oil leaking into the coolant. Also, what kind of oil are you putting in the car?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
LFA951
Drifting

What does the cam tower gasket leaking have to do with the headgasket? In my experience, when the cam tower leaks you get smoke from burning oil but the headgasket should remain intact. Same applies to the oil cooler seals and turbo cooling pump. On Turbo cars the cooler seals generally leak out of the system, not inside.

Is your car modified? Are you running higher boost than stock? You really shouldn't have any issues with oil leaking into the coolant. Also, what kind of oil are you putting in the car?
I have an Accuboost set to 14 psi and I use Valvoline VR-1 20W50
Old 04-06-2010, 02:04 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I have an Accuboost set to 14 psi and I use Valvoline VR-1 20W50...
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
LFA951
Drifting

FLushed out coolant and oil is still getting into the reservoir....
Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

General question for the more experienced members, I though the turbo coolant line was just a tap off of the normal cooling system, so if the oil is coming in from there, could the turbo be leaking internally between it's oil bearing and the water cooling channels - has this happened before ???

I currently have the 'milkshake' to deal with, just waiting for my compressor and leak down tester to arrive so I can check the head gasket, but I suspect it's probably the oil/cooler relief valve seals going on my car, so you may wish to double check your sump oil for any traces of water...
Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 AM
LFA951
Drifting

My oil cooler was replaced in November of last year, and checked when I did my headgasket two weeks ago, but when he checked it he didn't use the alignment tool to put it back on, and it has the original oil tube with the green washers. I see that there is anu updated oil tube that is longer in the middle and I am thinking of just taking the oil cooler off, or at least checking the washers or o-rings to make sure there are no leaks in the lines...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Korenwolf
Intermediate

Well, if he didn't use the alignment tool, then perhaps the oil pressure relief valve is sticking, not sure what that might do, probably bad things I expect...

Well, as I lack access to a Mill/Lathe etc, I just ordered the alignment tool from Paragon, fingers crossed they still have them given that Pelican no longer sells them, perhaps it could be a good tool for the guy at http://www.arnnworx.com/ to knock up since it doesn't look too hard and someone even posted the dimensions recently...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Korenwolf
Well, if he didn't use the alignment tool, then perhaps the oil pressure relief valve is sticking, not sure what that might do, probably bad things I expect...

Well, as I lack access to a Mill/Lathe etc, I just ordered the alignment tool from Paragon, fingers crossed they still have them given that Pelican no longer sells them, perhaps it could be a good tool for the guy at http://www.arnnworx.com/ to knock up since it doesn't look too hard and someone even posted the dimensions recently...
I just oredered the Oil cooler gasket kit with the update oil tube, my mechanic said the alignment tool is not needed...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil getting into coolant reservoir thru turbo cooler line