Injector Ballast Resistors

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Ballast Resistors

Hi All,

I have a 944S (the 16V one) that wont power the fuel injectors. It was a swap into an early 944 and somewhere along the way the ballast resistors, bracket, and plug werent swapped as well, so now the car wont start. It seems to have a cycling .4 volts between the injector and ground, but it should have 12V cycling. The 5-pin plug on the harness is there for the ballast resistors, but there are no ballast resistors plugged in (its just an empty plug!)

Has anyone made their own set of ballast resistors?
Are they the same on the turbo so I could buy it from someone?
Have I already fried my computer just by trying to crank the darn thing and not knowing it was missing the ballast?

The injectors on this car are 3 ohm- the ballast 6 ohm.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 PM
95ONE
Race Car

We don't have ballast resistors in our STOCK wiring harness.

I guess the question is more for the 16v guys? You say there is a plug for the resistors?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Yep a nifty 5 pin one that looks like a diagnostic port kind of plug, which Id be more than happy to chop off and replace with a molex, if I could just find the 6ohm resistors and how to wire them in!

So putting in ballast resistors is an aftermarket mod for the turbo guys so you can run (bigger) injectors? Does anyone have a "how to" on that? Or a wiring diagram of what they did?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my injector resistors from Danno at Guru Racing. I am not sure if he is still around though.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of the stock resistors if that is what you want.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjburges
Yep a nifty 5 pin one that looks like a diagnostic port kind of plug, which Id be more than happy to chop off and replace with a molex, if I could just find the 6ohm resistors and how to wire them in!

So putting in ballast resistors is an aftermarket mod for the turbo guys so you can run (bigger) injectors? Does anyone have a "how to" on that? Or a wiring diagram of what they did?

For a turbo setup, You put a 1 ohm, 25 watt resistor on each of the DME wires 14 and 15 that go to the injectors. The two wires are going from the same transistor inside the DME so they are in parallel. This is done when going to bigger aftermarket injectors that have a lower on resistance then the stock units.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 11-16-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjburges

Power (12VDC) comes in on pin 3 of the connector. This power comes from the DME relay through pin 2 of the DME connection plug (next to the fuse box). Pins 1,2,4,5 are connected to each injector. Can't comment on the resistor size, it isn't shown on the schematic.

Quick Reply: Injector Ballast Resistors