Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Speed/Ref sensor gap question using Sharky's tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speed/Ref sensor gap question using Sharky's tool

I am wondering if i am setting the sensor gap correctly. I am using Sharky's sensor gap tool. Do i set the sensor gap with the tool, then install the sensor and the shim? Or am i supposed to be setting the gap with the shim and gap tool at the same time? I am pretty sure i set the gap wrong.. i used the tool to gap, then put sensor and shim in. I just want to make sure before i go through the hell of resetting the gap tomorrow.. .

The shim i am talking about is inbetween the bolts and sensor sleeve.

I replaced the speed / ref sensor bracket yesterday with the updated bracket that has the aluminum EMF shield sleeve. This has helped my starter 'kick back' but not completley solved it.

What i am noticing is when i start the car, it feels like the timing is off and its firing at the wrong time. The car does start and runs perfectly. I notice while i am cranking the tach bounces to 2k rpm very quickly, then the car starts.

My guess is that i am getting a false signal from the starter, which might be attributed to an incorrect sensor gap.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 06-25-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, this is pretty simple. Check the tool and the length from the bottom of it to its shoulder and compare that to the distance on a reference sensor.

If they are the same length, or within the 0.8mm gap spec, then you should use the washer like it is set up with the actual sensor. If the length of the tool is shorter (The length of the sensor + 0.8mm - washer thickness), then don't use the washer when setting things.

Bottom line is that you want the tool to set it so that the sensor with the washer is at the 0.8mm setting.

Keith
Old 06-25-2009, 11:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Keith, i tried measuring but was unable to do it accuratley.. atleast not down to .8mm accurate . Tough to measure them because there is no way to get a micrometer clamped down accurately. Had to sorta eyeball it which is only good for +/- 1mm .

I just spent the last 30 minutes using this still horrible search function and found this thread which answers my question.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...p-setting.html

So yes, when you gap the sensors using Sharky's tool, you want that washer in there.

Right now my speed sensor is too far out and my reference sensor is too far in.....doh! It runs though and lucky that the gap is enough that the reference sensor did not get destroyed by the flywheel.

Its going to be another fun day with my hand jammed inbetween the firewall and bellhousing adjusting that bracket. Hoping i can do it without taking the intake off again..but i am not feeling lucky
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 AM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Right now my speed sensor is too far out and my reference sensor is too far in.....doh! It runs though and lucky that the gap is enough that the reference sensor did not get destroyed by the flywheel.
How could this be? If you put the speed sensor in with the washer after setting the bracket with the tool (Without the washer), then the speed sensor is too far out, agreed.

But the reference sensor just goes down and contacts with the shoulder on the bracket, so it also is too far out. I don't see how it could be in too far. This is assuming of course that you set the pins on the flywheel to the correct height.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 AM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by kdjones2000
How could this be? If you put the speed sensor in with the washer after setting the bracket with the tool (Without the washer), then the speed sensor is too far out, agreed.

But the reference sensor just goes down and contacts with the shoulder on the bracket, so it also is too far out. I don't see how it could be in too far. This is assuming of course that you set the pins on the flywheel to the correct height.
The flywheel pins should be 4.8mm - 5.0mm high.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

It would be too far in because i set the bracket depth using the gap tool without the shim. So the depth of the reference sensor would be too far in by whatever the thickness of that shim is (i believe i saw it referenced as 2mm thick).

My guess is that .8mm gap is supposed to be set with that 2mm thick shim installed with the speed sensor.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
kdjones2000
Instructor

Still don't understand Jon.

Typically people set the height using the rearmost position on the bracket (Speed sensor). You put your tool in (With the washer), adjust it so it contacts the flywheel and snug it up. This also sets the Reference Sensor height.

Did you set the bracket using the Reference sensor location, and spun the flywheel around to align the pin? If you did that with the tool (And no washer in that location), then you should have set it to the correct height. This is assuming that the pin is at the correct height on the flywheel in the first place.

You cannot really set these two locations independently without changing the pin height on the flywheel.

Now if you used the Speed Sensor location without the washer, you in fact INCREASED the height of the sensors in relation to the flywheel. You essentially set the bracket height too high, not too low. When you put the Speed sensor in WITH the washer, the washer raises the sensor thus increasing the gap. The reference sensor would also be too high.

Make sense?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at the bracket on the bellhousing in my car but don't see the washers anywhere. Would they be fitted between the sensors and the bracket or beneath the bracket? TIA

Quick Reply: Speed/Ref sensor gap question using Sharky's tool