Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project under way. Updated 01/07

Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter project under way. Updated

April 17th, 2011.

Too tired to update here. Please view post #98 (page 7).

Feb 11th, 2010.

Once again.. a ridiculous amount of time has passed with not much work done. The small differences today are... Tilton pedal assembly mount is fabricated and welded in. Cage is finished. Rear widebody quarters are now bonded to the car. Must epoxy the rear panels. Most recent pics are at the top..

Sept. 12th, 2009:

Wow.. been a while since last update. Finally got the Lindsey rear panel in.. They were extremely quick to make it and ship. it is a quality piece. A little thick and heavy, 6lbs 8oz. but great none the less. I have also installed the passenger door part of the cage.. It is a basket style. Holding off on the driver side, bcuz there's so much more that has to be done in the car, and the bars not being there is going to help my back! I added in a few extra pics to show what kind of undertaking I decided to bear. Its getting there, but this example is JUST for a rear bumper brace. I had to bolt it on since I can't weld aluminum to steel and obviously Im all about the lighter stuff. It is extremely strong. will eventually have the rear spoiler mounted to it, and held up 2 200lb + men at the same time.. Im happy with the results.. Please take time to view the first 10 updated pics.

April 29th 2009:

The cage is almost done. Please look at the second picture and look how tight I got the Halo and the A-pillar bars.. That was a ridiculous amount of work to get done properly and still be able to weld those bastards. Welding. Wow, that is very tough with a TIG and no where to support arms and stay steady. I now have to re-build the rear bumper beam/structure area to fit the fiberglass widebody rear. This is more exciting for me as I get to see a shape of the car. I have to get some more fiberglass parts soon though, and money is hurting right now with a one income household. I probably would have been close to finished by now if that hadn't happened.. Oh well. I will keep pressing. Additional pics below.

March 10th, 2009:

I'm going to keep updating on this first page so it's easier on everyone.

As many of you know, I've bought a few extra things since I tore the car apart. That money was going to go to the cage on things. But, I ended up Selling my old motor and Turbo set up. I've already bought the replacement turbo. Then, I Bought the 3.0 968 motor. Then I bought the 996 TT Monoblocks front and rear for the car. NONE of which was suppose to get purchased until the END. BUT. I had to take all these cheap deals. I will end up saving arond $1500 in total cost. It DID cost me a little over $5K in the last two months though. Offset by selling my parts of course, but ouch.
I will get back to those very cool parts later in the next few months.

RIght now. I finally have the Tubing on its way here and will start my cage install this week or next. I will take pics and update as I go. I feel like I can FINALLY get to actually work on the car now. Tons of work to go, but I also have to take side jobs doing timing belts and aftermarket exhausts for other people to pay for these things and those extra jobs take time. I am certainly going full speed for such an enormous project though. The big items are now pretty much out of the way. Tons of little items that will add up to a lot of time and of course money still left to do. Painting stage will be tons of fun. Our paint booth in the shop is almost up. It should be ready about the same time that car will be ready for painting.

I'm working on some pretty cool carbon fiber parts right now. A ridiculous intake manifold and some other knick knacks in the background. All this and a 9-5 is rough. But will be well worth it. I will get to those later too.

Cage first though! Pics within the next week.

This car is just going to be crazy insane. - Downfall. I won't get to drive it until late this year. EDIT.. late this decade... OH WELL! (MAN)

November 14th, 2011;

Well, a little longer than planned. Hard push this year to get things going again. I have so much, and need so much more. Bit off more than I could chew.. in a lifetime. Much progress though. My biggest change is my motor selection. LS6- ish with tons of custom parts on that. A bit too much explaining, but I'll just let pics give the story. For now. I've got some actual paint on the thing. It's nice to see some of the lines go together. Scroll down for the pics.

2/11/10

Sept 12th
This one shows the caps I've already installed with nuts welded on the backside so aluminum can be bolted to it. I have also re-enforced the area between the two rails. - angle iron and such.

The next three pics show the hole for the bottom I had to cut out, and the plates I had to make with more nuts behind it. Then welded on.

Then the aluminum part.. First I put in sleeves to handle the pressure of the bolts without bending the box tube.

Then the upper flange

Then the extra strength for the wing downforce

Then carefully measured the bumper extension and welded on the bumper bar.. Bending this guy to match the exact bend of the Fiberglass one took an hour. Then added finishing supports for strength and crossloading. and pic of it by itself.. It only weighs 6lbs 10oz! holds well over 500lbs.

And a few pics of the lindsey rear fiber piece.. will all be put back together when all supports are done.. TO be continued............

Jan 3rd:

Too many things to do. I literally don't know where to start. So I just started tearing things apart. Im doing full Chromoly cage. Fibergalss rear and fiberglass front. Rear will not be clamshell. Just pieces tabbed together with metal braces.
The Front will be completely removable with re-built Front core supports. - Which answers why the front end of the car is cut off.

First Few pics are of tear down yesterday and day before.

i will First cut apart rear of car for widebody fiberglass.
then Sand blast entire shell. (Getting new paint in final stages) light grey inside. Dark Mercedes Grey outside.
then i will Weld up Cage. Seam weld some things. brace some things. Foam the frame. Then I will finish Front and Rear Fiberglass halves.
Paint.
Then I will install Tilton Pedal Assembly and new Front brakes. New Sparcos after

I will be keeping the 2.5 running for now, So it will be getting Fresh bearings and seals while this is going on. and re-installed until the 3.0 block is finished sometime this summer. - hopefully earlier, but who knows.

Throw on 315's all the way around. - Fronts in pic next to engine. Go racing.

Here are more from a later post in this thread, I just moved them up to the front here.

Here are some more from Jan 8th.

April 7th Update.

April 29th Update

Nov. 15th, 2011 Update.

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-20-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:22 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to updates...

Mark
Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 PM
DanR
Drifting

no messing around there!!! keep the pics coming and looking forwards to this one!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

pure sex
Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing how many details to be worked to make a race car, you've got a lot of hours of work ahead! I'd really like to see pictures of what you do with the nose.

Will you be club racing it with PCA?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:10 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa. Definitely looking forward to some updates on this one!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you keeping the windshield as glass or are you replacing it w/ lexan?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

GET OUTA THIS MAN"S WAY!!! STAND BACK !!!! WHOA!
BOW CHICKKA WA OW!!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

love the color idea as well i"m thinking of kinda flipping it to dark Grey inside silver car wich altenator mount is that one the the nice simple block added
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Dude thats sick, I cant believe you didnt tell me about this this morning
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks sweet
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by marky522
Looking forward to updates...

Mark
Originally Posted by DanR
no messing around there!!! keep the pics coming and looking forwards to this one!
Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Whoa. Definitely looking forward to some updates on this one!
Originally Posted by dillon410021
looks sweet
It is a long process that I'm trying to supercharge into a short one.

I was planning on submitting some cool updates today. But I just flat ran out of energy and had to stop. But good fun in mind for tomorrow. I'll post the pics up then. I will be ordering Fiberglass roof tomorrow or Monday. Starting my search for decently priced chromoly tubing on Monday. Shouldn't be that difficult in an oil industry based city.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Are you keeping the windshield as glass or are you replacing it w/ lexan?

I'm fighting with this one. It depends on the weight of the car when I'm done. If I need to lose another 20lbs, I'll go that route. I don't think I will need to get any lighter when I'm done though. But still waiting to see at this point.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
love the color idea as well i"m thinking of kinda flipping it to dark Grey inside silver car wich altenator mount is that one the the nice simple block added

Trying to keep it a little cooler inside for the coming summer.
Broadfoot Mount through Lindsey racing - I just welded some tabs on .
Old 01-04-2009, 02:00 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Dude thats sick, I cant believe you didnt tell me about this this morning
I told you I was working on the car! But I did have to rush off and not get to explain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07