Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust Hanger Orientation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Exhaust Hanger Orientation

For the hangers that hold up the exhaust pipes and muffler, do the top and bottom hangers both point the same way so that the rubber donut pushes onto both in the same direction -- or should the top and bottom hangers point in opposite directions?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't think it matters.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:18 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shouldn't matter because once it's all bolted down it won't be able to move enough to unhang itself from any of the hangers.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, a data point of 1: I had one set of hangers facing the same direction, and just discovered that donut fell off. The other hangers faced in opposite directions and those donuts are still there. Anyone with an uber-original car care to take a look-see?

Edit: all the illustrations in PET seem to show the upper and lower bracket pieces sliding into the donut from opposite sides too.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Noted the same orientation as well.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
For the hangers that hold up the exhaust pipes and muffler, do the top and bottom hangers both point the same way so that the rubber donut pushes onto both in the same direction -- or should the top and bottom hangers point in opposite directions?
That's actually a bit of a brain teaser.

1. Top and bottom hangers oriented the same way:
a) Depending on how much the top and bottom hangers are misaligned in either direction the rubber can potentially slip out.
b) If the hangers don't provide a good stop for the rubber in the open direction, then the rubber can "walk out" on its own.

2. Top and bottom hangers oriented in opposite directions:
a) The rubber can potentially slip out only if the top and bottom hangers are misaligned in one direction .
b) Even if the hangers don't provide a good stop for the rubber in the open direction, their opposite mounting will prevent the rubber from "walking out".

So opposite hanger mounting seems to be the best solution.

I was recently "in there" and just decided to copy the previous install, which obviously was same direction of the hangers ... oh well maybe next time.

Laust
Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
That's actually a bit of a brain teaser.

1. Top and bottom hangers oriented the same way:
a) Depending on how much the top and bottom hangers are misaligned in either direction the rubber can potentially slip out.
b) If the hangers don't provide a good stop for the rubber in the open direction, then the rubber can "walk out" on its own.

2. Top and bottom hangers oriented in opposite directions:
a) The rubber can potentially slip out only if the top and bottom hangers are misaligned in one direction .
b) Even if the hangers don't provide a good stop for the rubber in the open direction, their opposite mounting will prevent the rubber from "walking out".

So opposite hanger mounting seems to be the best solution.

I was recently "in there" and just decided to copy the previous install, which obviously was same direction of the hangers ... oh well maybe next time.

Laust
I've been persuaded to point them in opposite directions because PET seems to show it that way, and because I had a donut fall off when I pointed them in the same direction. Also, it seems like you can help "trap" the donut by pointing the hangers in opposite directions, and then stagger the hangers a bit so the donut is being pulled into the bracket both on top and at the bottom. Like this:

..]....
...[...

If you bolt it up like that, the donut is constantly being pulled onto both brackets, if that makes sense...
Old 07-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how easy it is to get caught up in the most "mundane" things with these cars. Was actually just in that area yesterday as I painted a rusty hanger a nice satin black.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Hanger Orientation