Oil leak.... grrr

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak.... grrr

I have an oil leak comming between here:

Is this your typical leak and what involved to fix this problem? I've been told I'll have to remove all the belts and remove the camshaft also. Is this true?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Just don't strip bolt # 19, that's a hard bolt to get out.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't pay to have that fixed, we can do it when you get back down south. I even have all the seals to do the job and can hook you up. You will need to pull the belt covers, remove the distributer housing and rotor, loosen and remove the timing belt (at least off the timing gear), remove the cam gear itself (several other parts come off in the process), unbolt the rear distributer housing and remove and viola! There is an o-ring, an "onion skin" seal as some have called it, the main cam seal, and one or two others.

Here's what I got (just snapped the pic, you don't need everything in the pic, but everything you need is there) I also pointed out the "onion skin" seal.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
Just don't strip bolt # 19, that's a hard bolt to get out.
verdad
Old 06-19-2008, 11:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

That onion skin seal has been the bane of many 944 owners but oil has to get past the O-ring first to have an external leak. Many mylar gaskets get damaged in shipment. I bought the last 3 Sunset had in stock about 3 weeks ago because the ones in my upper gasket set were kinked. A $2 part can ruin your day. But on the other hand, serious congrats, you have one of the cleanest engines I have seen in awhile, no wonder a small leak drives you crazy. Do it yourself and you do not have pull the cam. If you have a good short frame impact wrench that #19 bolt comes out like butta!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

Darwin - sent you a PM

Kuhl - lol, "bane" is a harsh word for such a little seal. I will send you a picture of it when i'm done.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 AM
George D
Drifting

Folks like you make this list what it is. Love to see stuff like this. You are a good man, and make this community revelant.

Regards,

George

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Don't pay to have that fixed, we can do it when you get back down south. I even have all the seals to do the job and can hook you up. You will need to pull the belt covers, remove the distributer housing and rotor, loosen and remove the timing belt (at least off the timing gear), remove the cam gear itself (several other parts come off in the process), unbolt the rear distributer housing and remove and viola! There is an o-ring, an "onion skin" seal as some have called it, the main cam seal, and one or two others.

Here's what I got (just snapped the pic, you don't need everything in the pic, but everything you need is there) I also pointed out the "onion skin" seal.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:12 AM
George D
Drifting

Relevant is the proper spelling, sorry my spell check doesn't work here. LOL

Originally Posted by George D
Folks like you make this list what it is. Love to see stuff like this. You are a good man, and make this community revelant.

Regards,

George
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by George D

Regards,

George

Thanks George! Just tryin' to help. Gotta keep these damn cars on the road
Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had to drill out bolt #19 twice in the last three times I've pulled apart a cam tower. Before you attempt the job I would recommend getting a new bolt just in case and also a new cam tower gasket in case you need to pull the whole tower to drill out the bolt.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an o-ring seal leak too. The PO put some sealer as a temporary fix under the car near this area. I'm not the most mechanically inclined, how long did it take to replace these seals? Should i wait for when i replace all the belts? Belts are due anyway it's been 4 years since the last change (12k miles)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Darwantae951

This job took us maybe two hours? (not taking into account breaks and such) It's a pretty straight forward job. The timing belt does have to come off the cam gear so if it's time for belts then I'd take care of it then. The cam key can be a bitch to get out tho, need to be careful not to jack it up when removing it. Read my above post, it pretty much covers what needs to be removed.

-Darwin

Quick Reply: Oil leak.... grrr