Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Q for Electronics Techs --Boost Gauge Control!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool... -Sounds like a great plan!

Keef
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Well, tonight I confirmed the gauge works perfectly when fed a 0-5 signal through a 4k resistor. It sweeps from left to right perfectly as the voltage goes from 0 to 5. Next up, I need to find a 0-30 psi sensor. Most sensors are MAP, meaning they generate voltage above absolute 0 pressure. I need one that generates voltage once above atmospheric and goes to 5vdc at 30psi. I have an old boost controller sensor like that, but am hoping to find something new.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most of the low cost preasure sensors ($30-50) are bridge outputs. To get the desired range, you add a dual op amps and dial in what you want.
Look at the bottom of the sheet in the application section. You could set the output to 0-1v and eliminate the scaling resistors.

A $30 part.
http://www.meas-spec.com/myMeas/down...ltrastable.pdf

A $25 part
http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.c...ment/1/re_id/0
Old 06-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Most of the low cost preasure sensors ($30-50) are bridge outputs. To get the desired range, you add a dual op amps and dial in what you want.
Look at the bottom of the sheet in the application section. You could set the output to 0-1v and eliminate the scaling resistors.

A $30 part.
http://www.meas-spec.com/myMeas/down...ltrastable.pdf

A $25 part
http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.c...ment/1/re_id/0
I was just sitting here sketching out a little circuit for the zeitronix sensor, but I'd still prefer to find a sensor where I can use the full range of the sensor's voltage output.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Why bother with a new gauge face? just use the existing one and calibrate it so that the 1 bar is 1 bar of boost instead of 1 bar atmo. I have been playing with this for a while so that I can use the stock gauge with the standalone (electromotive) ECU.
1 bar of boost at the 1 bar factory mark gives you the best resolution on the factory scale.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:01 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Chris, Not to go OT and don't take this the wrong way BUT, I can't picture you driving that Mini, lol..

anyways, Good project guys. I will try this with the Link EMS.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Chris, Not to go OT and don't take this the wrong way BUT, I can't picture you driving that Mini, lol..

anyways, Good project guys. I will try this with the Link EMS.
It confuses a lot of people!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
It confuses a lot of people!
Ha Ha, thats funny, I bet it does. Time to TEC3 and turbocharge that baby!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I did put bigger barkes on the front after a weekend at the Glen!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Thats cool, they look like fun cars.

ok, sorry for the OT!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 PM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, tonight I confirmed the gauge works perfectly when fed a 0-5 signal through a 4k resistor. It sweeps from left to right perfectly as the voltage goes from 0 to 5.
Tom... where did you connect the supply ?
I have my dash off at the moment and tried to experiment with what you were trying to do when I first read your post, but nothing happened !
Hope my gauge is still ok as it's been off the car for a year or 2. I used the 2 brass termnials at the rear of the gauge cluster. I did notice that the gauge wiring goes to the Rev counter circuit board before it reaches the boost gauge, then I left well alone.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I patched in at the red plastic 4 wire connector that connects the engine harness to the dash harness in the passenger footwell, above the DME and KLR. Rather than cutting and splicing wires for testing, I disconnected the connector, bridged the other 3 wires with radioshack spade connectors, leaving the red/white wire disconnected. I then pumped my own signal into the gauge-side harness on the wire that would have been connected to the red/white wire on the engine harness. ...if that makes any sense....
Old 06-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
Why bother with a new gauge face? just use the existing one and calibrate it so that the 1 bar is 1 bar of boost instead of 1 bar atmo. I have been playing with this for a while so that I can use the stock gauge with the standalone (electromotive) ECU.
1 bar of boost at the 1 bar factory mark gives you the best resolution on the factory scale.
Well, that's about how I will set it up, since mine will have 15psi where the 1BAR currently is. The markings on the factory gauge are just too vague for my liking. I figured if I marked of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 an 30, I'd have a much better sense of the boost -- i.e., I could actually tell if I'm at 17 or 19, rather than guessing. The factory gauge is marked like a sun dial.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Ok, fast-farward 4 and a half years, and I've now got it working. I ended up using an Arduino based controller for flexibility, so I can program it to any scale, etc. Consistent with Brian's findings last time, it appears the factory scale is actually a 0 to 4.5vdc output rather than full 0-5vdc, which explains his .45 volts at 1 bar on the gauge. After reading up on MAP sensors, this is pretty common. Even the zeitronix sensor outputs from 0-4.5vdc, even though it is powered by 5 volts.

At any rate, the video below shows the gauge working compared to a VDO mechanical gauge sharing the same pressure line. The factory gauge is completely de-coupled from the KLR and is just taking the signal from a zeitronix MAP sensor, adjusting it in the Arduino, and sending the calibrated voltages to the factory gauge. Perfect for stand-alone EMS cars, or folks who want to make their factory gauge more useful. For testing, I have it set up to show 15psi at the 1 BAR mark, and 30psi at the 2 BAR mark, but am planning to set it up so that I can select whatever boost level I want at the 1 bar mark (for quick real time confirmation my boost is where I intend for it to be)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIoQ9...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
Cyberpunky (06-30-2019), drscottsmith (02-15-2023)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Well, one correction to the above. I was able to bench test a spare KLR and found that the KLR boost sensor voltage (pin 5) goes as high as 4.9 volts (rather than the 4.5 I theorized). It seems that 1 bar on the gauge is simply not the exact middle of the sensor readings. It's somewhat academnic because you can fine tune with a trim pot or in the software to have the gauge read wherever you want it at any particular boost level based on whatever sensor you use...

Quick Reply: Q for Electronics Techs --Boost Gauge Control!