Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgraded Axles from The Driveshaft Shop

Gents,
I contacted The Driveshaft Shop about making a set of upgraded CV axles for our cars. Here is the email trace:

Originally Posted by The Driveshaft Shop
Hi
we could make a set for about 1000.00 for the pair

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Excellent. I would like them to handle 500rwhp/tq, as
that is my goal. I've put 400hp 420tq to the wheels
in my current setup. And am about to upgrade turbo
(again).

Thanks,

-Joshua
Originally Posted by The Driveshaft Shop
Hi
yes we can make a set, what HP would it need to handle ??

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Reason For Contact: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
Person to Contact: 2.5L I4 Turbo w/ rear mounted transaxle (5-speed)
Telephone: rogue_ant@yahoo.com
PleaseSelect: CV Axle

Message: Hi, I'm looking for a set of stronger CV axles. The factory Porsche units are prone to breaking during launch, and even heavy accel (with modified engines).

Thanks for your time,

Joshua
So is anyone interested? Perhaps a group buy would lower the price some?

-Rogue
Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not that my engine's got the muscle to break any axles... but what are they going to do to make the axles actually any stronger, and not just more expensive when they do break?

Isn't the current 'groupthink' that axle breakage is not directly due to the torque of the engine twisting the axle, but more so the torque of the engine (and high lateral-g's) causing the transmission case to move laterally and damage the CV joint cage?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Isn't the current 'groupthink' that axle breakage is not directly due to the torque of the engine twisting the axle, but more so the torque of the engine (and high lateral-g's) causing the transmission case to move laterally and damage the CV joint cage?

I believe so. However the upgraded CVs shouldn't have the same issue.

-Rogue
Old 04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I could be interested?? PM sent.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds like the stub axles will be next part to shear off if you make your axle/CV components bullet-proof? There have been a few cases where they've sheared even with stock axles on some of the torque monsters here on the forums. To me it's like a bullet proof $100 head gasket that doesn't fail but the engine does as a result. Your safety valve should always been the cheapest easiest component to repair. Just something to consider.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

^^ True enough. Maybe we should just put on skinny rock hard tyres and they'll be the safety valve. The problem is that it's no help to not strengthen them if they're going to 'pop' under any serious load as you won't go far either way. Assuming that there are some aftermarket components strong enough to cater for big block motors, surely even +600ft/lbs can be catered for? Thing is where do you stop? Torque tubes, trannys, diffs, clutches, gearsets, bellhousings, engine and tranny mounts. Is it just trial and error? Keep upgrading each component as it breaks. Expensive business. So if the 928 running gear survives that tq maybe we can survive too?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

PM replied.

I would think that with all the 3L builds going on, more people would be interested in better axles...?

-Rogue
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that someone found cheap replacement axles with a lifetime guarantee for a national chain discount parts store that work well. When or if it breaks, the part is replaced free.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by EdC
Seems to me that someone found cheap replacement axles with a lifetime guarantee for a national chain discount parts store that work well. When or if it breaks, the part is replaced free.
Perhaps the part is free, but the time/labor it takes to replace it is not free. And the hassle of being broken down somewhere...

-Rogue
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So what will they upgrade, just the joints or also the axles themselves?
And 1000 for the pair, is that pair of joints or pair of axles.

1000 is a bit much to buy something unknown, unproven and unspecified.

IMHO the way to go with the axles themselves is to have torsion bar type axles that can twist a tiny amount and absorb some of the energy and spare the joints.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

DSS Axles are the real deal. I know many people running them, my boss runs them etc etc. If this is one of their "Stage V" axles (judging by the price), they are BOMB proof. I've seen a Stage V axle bar break, but have yet to see a full Stage V assembly (CV/Bar) go out. I'm sure they do, but IIRC DSS puts a lifetime warranty on their top of the line stuff. I could be wrong, but that's what I thought I remembered. My concern is if the axle isnt breaking the R&P is in our trans. Not a pleasant experience, trust me. I'd rather have the axle or stub axle as a weak link than the trans.

Would you prefer:

OR

-M
Old 04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I don't agree with the 'use the CV as a weak link to save the rest of the drivetrain' philosophy... I believe the CV only breaks because of a design flaw (the transmission moving laterally).

Afterall Joe, and a couple others recently have broken their transmissions without the 'fuse' CV going out..

-Rogue
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Breaking axles would no doubt be annoying, less annoying than breaking transmissions, but still annoying (even if it's free under warranty). I think Duke's got the right idea, use a semi-flexible shaft to absorb some of the 'shock' to help increase the life of the stub axles and the R&P. Combine this with uprated CV joints to handle the lateral loads of the transmission, and you should have a pretty solid solution.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Is this possible?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, 968 turbo RS uses larger diameter half shafts along with larger CV joints (same size as the 928 and 911 turbo) and thus needs a different transmission output shaft (the part the CV joint bolts to). There is no separate stub axle, rather it is a single piece with the CV to allow the larger joint. And, the RS transmission mount is much harder rubber than the stock version.
Seems to me that larger diameter half shafts without corresponding increases in the size of the CV joints might not get you where you want to be.
YMMV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgraded Axles from The Driveshaft Shop