944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New improved GTS headlight kit in the pipeline

Old 03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about this version seen on Gustaf's car? Nosepanel and lightunits integrated together. This is Swedish production.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Peter Empson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Maybe we should have a Poll on dual round verses rectangluar (But rectangluar gets my vote every time)
Hi Mark, my vote is for rectangular too (I very much like the retro racer look and hence love the 951'GTS' shown here).
As expressed a while back via email I'm still very keen on getting them for my early shaped car (preferably in carbon but I understand there may be limited demand which will preclude this).
Thanks for putting the work in on this, the pics look great
Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
future
Banned

Patrick – Mate there was no offence taken, my comment was purely a ‘sorry’ for my lack of Rennlist contributions … What with all the work I’ve been doing on our site I’ve been getting it from all angles, Beni included to pull my finger out

But now I have some free time I can get down to some serious development work – at long last

Here’s what we’ve been doing – We now have a manufacturer for the F40 rear hatch (I’m just waiting on final quotes). The moulds for the CF door cards are nearly finished. Hood vents are in the process of being improved and made from a thick material as I have concerns about heat warp. 968 Version 2 rocker covers near ready for final moulding … and that’s my current to-do list… And then there’s the wish list

Olli, I’ll be Jyrki bitch if it means I get a car like that – The finish look excellent! Who makes the GTS arch kit? And the badge looks like something to follow up – simply excellent!

Gustaf’s DIY kit appears to use the same Hella light units we are using – Good luck to him, but the quality is nowhere near the standards to which we set ourselves.

Peter, yes mate I’m a very big retro fan myself and like sympathetic design over ricer bling! Nothing is better in my opinion than a clean black and silver detailed engine! Don’t get me wrong, anodized components and polished alloy intakes have their place but I like the factory look! Maybe this is something somebody could set up a poll on
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My panel is cut opened (air intake) and painted now. Will post pics when it's installed in a few weeks.
It looks really good, but the fitting could be better and also the lenses could be more exact.

Mark your hood vents looks exactly like the ones used by the swedish manufacutrer "Plastis". Do your product origin from him? Will you offer complete FRP hoods?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM
future
Banned

Duke - regarding the vents, you need to ask Beni as he sourced these. When I received them the quality was poor, FRP far too thin and both sides a completely different shape so we corrected all of the issues and the revised version is installed on Beni's car – We also opened the vent up a little bit more so no they are not direct copies.

Regarding FRP hoods, I'm not a fan of these nor even if made in CF - One development which would be worth considering would be a new replacement aluminum skin for the hood. I've toyed with this idea for some time - Have you ever felt the weight of an RX7 hood, if so you will know why this is the way to go. I have been unfortunate enough to be driving a car fitted with an FRP hood and the close bolts stripped out of the FRP. Luckily this was not my car but a ‘riced’ up Subaru.

Our cars generate serious heat under the hood as do most cars especially when forced induction is used. Because of the design of our hoods i.e. that they are extremely flat means that they are prone to warp and ripple over time which I have seen happen with some FRP 944 hoods.

On our website (www.deutschnine.com), the maroon 951 fitted with the original MK1 version of the GTS headlight is fitted with an FRP hood. Even though I have not seen this car in person the fit and quality looks good. I will speak to Beni tonight and find out where it was purchased from for you mate and PM you back.

Some pictures:

But back to safety issues – If your car is purely a track/race car then FRP is fine, one the road I wouldn’t warrant its use especially as our hoods hinge from the rear so you know what’s going to happen if like I found out with a mates Subaru, the damage that could result. His Subaru GC8 cost over £2k to repair – He’ll never us FRP for a hood again.

Have you read the reports on the 9FF’s GT9, they opted for an aluminum hood for the same reasons! But hell there cars good for 250mph
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys- I'm a little late to the party here, but am wondering- the lenses- what type of options are there for these fixed lights? Personally, I've always liked the stock look too much to go to fixed lights, but have always hoped that a nice design would come out that would look almost as good (or better?) than stock. There's just too much to them for what they're worth, as evidenced by their overall weight. I've told several people they'd top 25lbs, but had no idea they were 35lbs! Anyway, I've always been a fan of the round headlights & I've been told (by IceShark & others) that round lenses are better- not sure on the technicalities, as it was all over my head, but I'm sure there are plenty rectangulars that'll work great. I'm just curious how it might look either way. Has anyone tried dif types & maybe taken some pics? If I've missed them somewhere in this thread, then my apologies. Either way, keep up the good work- I'm eager to see how this turns out. I'm interested in them, as well as several of the things on your list, Future...

thanks a lot
Robby
Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Mark, that hood looks very much like the one I bought from VanZweden. My experience with their product was less than happy. I like the concept of the lite alu hood, but I will find a use for the c/f one. I think if there is a path of flow through ventilation the chance of the hood lifting would be greatly diminished.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Just want to add that this is a great thread and what I joined Rennlist for. A small business sponsor working with owners to put together a quality product.

However, your website, which has excellent products at reasonable prices, has made my credit cards sprout legs and run away.

Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
future
Banned

Hi Robby – Regarding the light units which will be on offer, firstly we will concentrate on the Hella rectangular ones which provide a reasonable performance good and are street legal which is the most important aspect. If there is enough interest then we will consider doing a dual version but that’s not to my taste.

For a company to claim that round is better is simply not true however there is a very slight marginal performance advantage as light work by reflecting best onto a ‘parabolic curve’ or satellite disc shape.

This was why I initially designed the dual Hella projector conversion seen in my aviator – This kit provides more than double the performance than the eom lights and can also use the Hella HID fully integrated kit as well and there will be no problems associated with heat build-up which is a problem with some case-housed designs.

Although I have never used the IceShark kit, from reading posts on this forum it appears to offer a great performance advantage over oem and at a very attractive price as well.

Basically the GTS headlight kit is not about serious light performance – more about saving serious weight and providing aero dynamical advantages.

The Dual pop-up conversion is a compromise which was designed to update the look of the old oem, reduce wind resistance but obviously not eliminate it and ultimately perform better than anything which had been design before.

Patrick – Yes I think you are right that the hood is a VanZweden product but not 100% sure and will find out and yes I know what you mean about some of their product being poor fit. I’ve not experienced this myself as I’ve never purchased anything from them but read about a lot of issues, but hey they are very cheap. P.S. mate Robby from above would like to know where you got your CF hood from as I’ve just had a PM from him!

My advice with the hood is fit hood pins for added reassurance mate – I know they look ugly but there are some great aero engineered versions available which are very trick … I’ll try dig out some links for you mate.

Many thanks for the comment Mike ... Now get on our site and get flexing that Visa
Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

With the exchange rate ($1.55 = 1 EU) I can afford exactly nothing on your site.

Group buy anyone?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
How about this version seen on Gustaf's car? Nosepanel and lightunits integrated together. This is Swedish production.
That's a nice solution. Those buckets on the 951/CGT are definitely GT Racing, I can tell by the fitment....

The hella lights from Susquehanna are what I'm running on my car and what used to be on Skip Wolfe's current track car.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I basically like the concept of this swedish product which joins both bagde panel and gts headlight kit together...still this is not the route we will chose. Also the fitment and quality of the product does not meet the standard we are aiming for.

I have spent more time refining the covers and let you be the jury...

Name:  DSC03322.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  DSC03321.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  24.6 KB

Name:  DSC03320.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  DSC03317.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  34.5 KB

If you can not see it...the GTS cover lies on top of the lower side of the OEM headlight Cover:

Name:  DSC03325.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  42.2 KB

I have just placed an order for Makrolon UV which will be enough for the first 15 sets and will start manufacturing them beginning of next week...

The bonnet pictured above is from a german company whose products we originally considered to sell but then decided to do not due to various reasons. The fitment is acceptable, IIRC the weight was approx. 10 kgs.
I consider this bonnet as a compromise which does not really meet my requirements as there are considerably lighter bonnets on the market if I want to have something very light for racing. For street use it's not the choice because it does not look that good... but to each his own.

I know another company in germany that is currently developping a CFK-PC-Compound bonnet which will weigh around 3.8kg's and still be stable enough...now that's what I call a racing component...

Cheers
Beni
Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM
PeterK
Track Day

Subscribing for when I can afford these
Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I really hope you make them with the duel round lights in HID. Otherwise I'm not interested in the least. Keep the original pop ups or go modern. That's my opinion of course. I look forward to seeing how this goes and to removing about 30lbs of front end weight.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Mark & Beni, I think they look great so far. I will go for the stock look lights and see what you come up with in the future re what Joe is talking about. As I will have the same vents from a 924 CGT, the stock looking GTS headlights will suit it anyway.
As for the VZ hood, I think it's lighter than 10 kgs. Just to pick a stock metal one up and then the c/f one, it felt about 60-70% lighter at a guess. It is being 'finished' by a local guy who will also put in some vents and it wasn't cheap by the time it got to me down here let me tell you. Expensive to ship.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New improved GTS headlight kit in the pipeline