Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pick up tube failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 PM
sh944s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pick up tube failure

I pulled my engine apart today after a loss of oil pressure while lapping Lime Rock this fall. I thought I had suffered a rod bearing failure only but it seams the oil pick up tube broke off at the bend where the base meets the girdle. That would explain the lack of oil pressure. The crank chewed up the tube and if I recall correctly as metal strap as well sending metal all over the place. Scored 2 cylinders, spun the #3 bearing and toasted #2.

How many other have had the oil pick up tube fail? Any known methods of re-inforcement for the tube out there?

Please don't lecture me on the use of balance shafts. I am a big boy and willing to take my chances. I'm just looking for any like minded individuals who have come up with ways to strengthen the tube.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut a piece of stainless and gusset the pickup tube to the base. This is more of a problem with 968 engines and I do this on them as a matter of course even in stock trim.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Kevin M
Instructor

Chris,
Any chance you have a pic or better description of the process?

Thanks,
Kevin

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
I cut a piece of stainless and gusset the pickup tube to the base. This is more of a problem with 968 engines and I do this on them as a matter of course even in stock trim.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I will have to see if I can find a pic. But in the mean time I will try to explain better. The base of the pick up that attaches to the engine has three sides. The longest side is where I attach the gusset. The gusset is a shaped like a right triangle. The short side attaches to the pick up. I then wrap the pick up tube and trim it off after it's wrapped about half way around. Tig it with stainless rod and you are done.

I will see if I can find a picture later. I am at an airport right now.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:10 PM
sh944s
Intermediate

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if welding to the tube would cause it to become brittle. A picture would certainly help but I think I understand what you are describing. Why just 968's?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I know Matt O. had a pick up tube fail on his 968 engine in his 944. I might gusset mine like Chris is describing if I have time when I put mine back in. Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 PM
special tool
Banned

Who was last to remove and re-install the oil pan?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Is it a sudden loss in pressure or does it go progressively as it breaks?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by sh944s
Chris,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if welding to the tube would cause it to become brittle. A picture would certainly help but I think I understand what you are describing. Why just 968's?
Most folks like to eliminate the dual mass flywheel on the 968. Since it does not have the harmonic balancer like the S2 the pick up ends up vibrating and breaking like sh944s's pick up did with no balance shafts. I have had F stock 968 cars break after several years of Club Racing use even with the DMF.

The loss in oil pressure is gradual. It's more of a strange oil pressure occurance that makes you question the guage or sender.

BTW, welding has never made one brittle for me, they are welded from the factory all over the place.

Still have not found a picture but I am sure I have one somewhere.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris, you bring up an interesting observation. I recently installed an original Porsche Motorsports 968 single piece flywheel and also added a vibration dampner.
What are your feelings about this setup?
I initially ran it for a few weeks without the vibration dampner but installed one last week.
Thanks in advance.
Raj
Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

A must have. I have done this many times with the 968 engine. It seems to suffer from significant harmonics and needs a dampener of some kind. I would not run one without the dampener, oil pick up gusseted or not.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Chris, thanks for the confirmation. That has been my feeling all along as well. It makes total sense. Porsche used a vibration dampner on all their 16 valve engines, except for the one with DMF .
Raj
Old 11-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Yeah, they seemed to have known a little about these engines............
Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How many other have had the oil pick up tube fail? Any known methods of re-inforcement for the tube out there?

Please don't lecture me on the use of balance shafts. I am a big boy and willing to take my chances. I'm just looking for any like minded individuals who have come up with ways to strengthen the tube.
I had one.... Caused by mis timed balance shafts. I fixed the balance shafts and never had the problem come back in 5 years of racing.

I don't know why you want to over the the cleanest solution.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

I completely agree with sh944. Not looking for people to talk us out of this, rather looking for ideas to reinforce pick up/return tubes. Worst case, I will have to replace said every 50 hours with bearing replacement (track only car).
Chris P., still hoping that you can find a pic of your set up.
Thanks,
Kevin

I pulled my engine apart today after a loss of oil pressure while lapping Lime Rock this fall. I thought I had suffered a rod bearing failure only but it seams the oil pick up tube broke off at the bend where the base meets the girdle. That would explain the lack of oil pressure. The crank chewed up the tube and if I recall correctly as metal strap as well sending metal all over the place. Scored 2 cylinders, spun the #3 bearing and toasted #2.

Quick Reply: Oil pick up tube failure