Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What are ring lands?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are ring lands?

Are the grooves in the piston that the rings sit in what is referred to as ring lands? If they are is checking the side clearance with a new ring inside the groove what is refferred to as checking ring lands out of tolerance? I have seen ring lands mentions here. The haynes manual shows checking the side clearance with a new ring slid into the groove and the shop manual mentions a tolerance for ring side clearance. First time investigating cylinders and pistons. So I have to buy new rings to determine if the piston is still ok at least from the standpoint of the grooves notwithstanding any piston diameter or cylinder clearance issues?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any help here?
Old 03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"So I have to buy new rings to determine if the piston is still ok at least from the standpoint of the grooves notwithstanding any piston diameter or cylinder clearance issues?"

Yes, pretty much.

Ring lands are the sides of the piston located between the ring grooves.

The ring side clearance (extra space between a ring and its groove) is usually not thing thing that will determine if pistons are ok to use, something else usually goes out of spec first. I always check them, but never have they ended up being the problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The “ring lands” are the two horizontal faces (in case of vertical cylinder axis) in the piston grooves for the rings where the rings land, when they are bounced up and down in the grooves, by combustion pressure, intake vacuum and friction.
This is a very important sealing face affecting compression and leak-down numbers. The ring lands should have close to mirror surface finish.
Too much detonation can open up the grooves and result in excessive ring groove clearance, typically a precursor to broken ring lands.

Laust
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for clarifying laust, my description was off.

Quick Reply: What are ring lands?