A better boost controller? Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cantresjr
Rolex, what other EBC are you looking at? if you sell, for how much?
After doing a lot of research, for me, I think I'm going with the ---> Blitz SBC ID in black. I've been researching for a long time now, talking to people, talked to Blitz, and searched the archives too. And the price of mine? I don't know yet. You can PM me on that if you want, but I need to take pics.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:44 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I found this write-up more useful than the one in the profec box. All EBC's have a steep learning curve. Wait until you have your MBC set for low elevation and warm weather and take a drive in the mountains where the temps drop 40 deg. My Accuboost used to scare the bejezzus out of me with spikes in the mountains above 7000' The Profec stays dialed in much better.

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=86098
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a manual TurboSmart and it was very high quality.
Their eBoost looks nice, but nothing in the specs regarding
the solenoid. From all the research I did when going EBC,
the Blitz was/is the only manufacturer using the dual solenoid.
Making it functionally better than anything else out there(at
least in my mind). All others use a single solenoid to control
both ports on the WG(if in dual port mode). Take a look
at how beefy the solenoid unit is. Upper left hand of the pic.
This thing is built like a tank! Now go a few threads below
and look at the pics of the Greddy unit in the "Profec B"
thread. I've not felt this strongly about a product for
a long, long time. It works VERY well.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2007, 12:52 AM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Before I bought the eBoost I called TurboSmart......
what is the main differences in the model you have and the new version?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mwc951
From all the research I did when going EBC, the Blitz was/is the only manufacturer using the dual solenoid. Making it functionally better than anything else out there (at least in my mind). All others use a single solenoid to control both ports on the WG (if in dual port mode). Aka a look at how beefy the solenoid unit is. Upper left hand of the pic. This thing is built like a tank! Now go a few threads below and look at the pics of the Greddy unit in the "Profec B" thread. I've not felt this strongly about a product for a long, long time. It works VERY well.
Agree on the Blitz EBC --->
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I really think the trick with these is to start with all your numbers low and dial up slowly.
IIRC, I never had a problem with spiking while setting it up and I dont have spikes now.
Shoot, Its been set the same now for well over a year with no adjustments at all.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:09 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cantresjr
what is the main differences in the model you have and the new version?
Besides all the different gauge face color options and being available in both 60mm and 66mm sizes, the spec differences are that the eBoost2 has presets to start adjusting from.

I sent them and email to get a list of the differences.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:51 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

Does anyone have any input on the Apex'i AVC-R? Or the Greddy Profec E-01? I've heard good things about both of these, but not from anyone with one of our cars...
Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have an ApecI ready to install on the 951, but don't have it rigged up yet. If I happen to get it done before you buy, I'll post the write-up on here.

The manual for that one ain't much easier to understand, but I painstakingly figured it out already as far as what wire goes where and how to work the different functions.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Bustadouglass
Advanced

I had the Blitz Dual Solenoid boost controller and I LOVED it! It was easy to set and was always very reliable. But a few months ago my car got broken into and it was stolen among everything else in it.

After that I went to the AEM TruBoost, Mainly cuz a friend had an xtra one and the price was right. Unfortunatly the thing is super confusing to use and the instructions seem to have been written in an ancient forgotten dialect of MS DOS or some crap! So needless to say I havent touched the thing since I installed it.

Go with the Blitz!

BTW If anybody has any experience w/ the AEM TruBoost PLEASE help a brotha out! 10 psi is no fun! I wanna go fast!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Hey busta - AEM has a support forum
http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...fcd&board=75.0

Quite frankly seems to be much better to manage than greddy profec. You enter wastegate crank pressure (IE wastegate boost spring). Then you tweak duty %. From my research this seems a much improved approach to the gain control garbage in Greddy unit.

Anyhow that forum may provide the help you need.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Bustadouglass
Advanced

Gracias Bridges!! Now I just need to figure out what my wastegate spring rate is? (Tial 46mm)
Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 PM
2bridges
Drifting

My pleasure. Let me know how it work out...... waiting for mine to arive before I can play.

For tial - if spring has not been changed I believe you can take serial # (etched in top of vac lid) and tial can tell you the original spring rate.

party on!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:22 PM
RK951
Rennlist Member

I have an SBD-id installed in my car and can't imagine having anything else. The control module sits underneath the arm rest hidden from sight but easily accessible. You can save 4 different boost programs depending upon your driving conditions/fuel type. Setup is very easy and with the graphic display you can do your own mini-dyno to watch how well you hold boost. I custom mounted the solenoid behind the firewall next to the battery and drilled to holes for the vac lines. It looks completely stock. I'll try and take some pictures this weekend.

A few people asked why not mount the control module where you can see it? First off, I prefer the stock interior look. Second, why temp someone to break into your car. Third, after the initial week, month, (year?) of joy playing with the different options and staring at your boost logs, you eventually choose one of your boost programs and enjoy driving the car with the best boost control it will ever have. I also have the optional harness which I believe should allow it to act as a narrow band and measure a few other things.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick, great post and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the unit. It's obvious that you love it very much as do I, and I don't have one yet! When you can, please post those pics that you said you could. I'd love to see how it looks in the interior of the car pal.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: A better boost controller? Please!