Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey 3" exhaust install

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lindsey 3" exhaust install

Please help me with the installation of my lindsey 3" exhaust!

The pipe that goes from the downpipe backwards is fitted with the wastegate and everything bolted in place. There's quite a bit of a glap between the pipe that goes from the wastegate and slides in to the main lindsey exhaust - but I guess that the clamp will keep that tight enough?

My problem is the next echaust part! Ok so after the pipe I have already mounted comes the cat.. And after the cat there's another bent pipe.. But the mountings on that pipe seem to be so off for the hangers! I removed the hanger from my old exhaust (the one bolted between two flanges) and there's no way I can use it on the lindsey. Am I supposed to? Or is there another way? Right now it seems like I have to cut of the two wings on the exhaust (shown in the center int the picture bellow) and move them upwards so that I can use the hanger from the old exhaust?
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2006, 08:22 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Okay.. When I mounted the LR 3" exhaust I had to loosen the WG a little to get a little free play. I disconnected The pipe going in to the LR exhaust tie in from the WG completely and mounted this on the LR exhaust.

I also used some Aluminium tape to fill the gaps between the LR and the Wg tie in. But Is important not to tighten the tie in before the exhaust to down pipe is mounted. I mounted the Exhaust with the wg tie in connected , I also had to move the wg just a little to get it to fit .. Last thing I did was to tighten the WG bolts and tie in.. Make sure you don`t move the exhaust too much when tightens ..

The reason for this is that the WG tie in could move the whole exhaust a little, and this cols cause clearance problems with either the body structure or the oil pan ..

Alu tape on the WG tie in
Name:  SUC37913.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  106.7 KB

Clerance issues
Name:  SUC37906.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  58.4 KB

As for the exhaust hanger, you need a one like this

Same as you got in the front.. Remember new rubber and bolts..

Last edited by blodstrupmoen; 06-02-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT: Jim did you get that dump pipe ok?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
mikebarton
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of wheels are on the red 944 in your logo pic
Old 06-02-2006, 09:09 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you keep everything loose, and put all the pieces together, you can get them on the hangers, then after everything is lined up, start tightening up your bolts.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

blodstupmoen:
Excelent reply - thank you!! I had no idea I had to use the same mount for the front and the middle.. Seems like I have to give porsche a call and order one of those!

por951turbo:
Yes it arrived fasat and it worked like a charm - thanks lots!!

mike:
I think they're simply called cup split rims.. You can see a better picture of them here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...47#post2571647
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

One more thing - what about the last mount at the far back of the car? I use a magnaflow muffler.. I guess I'll have to weld on a mount to the muffler to be able to use the mounts at the rear of the car, or is there an easier way?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My LR exhaust w/ the Magnaflow (no wastegate tie-in, though) mated right up to the chassis mounts using the factory hangers. No re-locating of ears or new hangers needed.

The only issue I have is no clearance (and a little bending of the exhaust) around my rear Tarett sway bar (sits a little lower and is a little thicker than the factory bar). I just have to install everything loose to get it to line up and then tighten.

Are you sure you have the bent ('Z-shaped') section pushed all the way into the section preceeding it? It slips on pretty far. On my car, the muffler tip is just about even w/ the trailing edge of the bumper. If your tip is sticking out more than that, you don't have the slip joints pushed together all the way.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by djungel-Jim
blodstupmoen:
Excelent reply - thank you!! I had no idea I had to use the same mount for the front and the middle.. Seems like I have to give porsche a call and order one of those!

I also had to relocate the rear hanger a little bit on the torque tube, you have to use some force to get the exhaust up between the mounts IIRC.

I had to cut of the exhaust a couple of inches in the back aswell ,the part going from muffler to tip . ( I have a flowmaster muffler) ..
Old 06-02-2006, 04:30 PM
marcoturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who sells hangers like the one in the pic ?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by marcoturbo
Who sells hangers like the one in the pic ?
It is a Oem Porsche part
Old 06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Thanks for all your help! I need some more help though I'm afraid When I was out in the garage today I couldn't really figure out how the exhaus is supposed to fit together at the end! I think I have the solution - I just want to make sure I've gotten it right before I do anything I have some time to spare now when I have to wait for porsche to send me that mounting piece ( ) so I might just as well make sure I'll fit this thing correctly!

Ok look at the picture bellow.. I think I have to take the pipe piece to the left and fit it to the magnaflow muffler.. and next fit the end pipe to that pipe.. Is that correct? That means there's no clamp for the end pipe.. so I guess I'll just thread it over the pipe and hope it stays put?
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, the pipe on the far left is your tailpipe that exits out underneath the bumper and most just use that as their tip. It has the mounting point for the rear muffler. You can take whatever tip you need to and fit it to the pipe. I am not sure what is in that clear bag, is that from Lindsey? I have never seen them include an exhaust tip per sae.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Cool, thanks for your help Doc!

This is what's in the clear bag:

There's a small hole on the pipe - maybe I can use that in some way to make the tip stay in place.. I'll have to check into that
Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

You can use the originally hanger in the middle. You will have to wrestle it up there. The pic of the oil pan looks just like mine as well and I bent mine so it was not touching. blod where did you get that alumunum tape? I need that for my w.g. tie in.

Quick Reply: Lindsey 3" exhaust install