Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits

Geometry Correction Kits are now in stock and ready for sale.
The kits are made for lowered 944 cars with aluminum control arms (1985.5+). They are designed for cars lowered 1" - 2" from the stock ride highth. They fix balljoint binding problem on lowered cars, rebuild both ball joints and allow for easy external servicing via an easy to access zerk fitting. Yes... all that in one kit that you can install in an afternoon.

For information on what the new kits due to combat the ball joint binding issue on lowered cars click HERE

For our Geometry Correction Kit FAQ click HERE

To buy a Geometry Correction Kit just click HERE

If anyone has any questions regarding the kits I will be around for most of the night. Just ask them here and I will reply, or send an email to travis@rennbay.com

For those of you who have recently purchased a Deluxe Double ball joint kit from Rennbay and would like to order just the parts necessary to upgrade your kit to the geometry correction kit please email me at the address above. We have a special discount purchase page just for you where you can order just the parts you need and reuse the ones you already have.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 PM
SehrSchnell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you feel these will survive in racing situaions? (high G race tires with bounce). Looks like you have spent some time in development. Thanks.

jim
Old 04-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Personally I did stress tests from the lowest mounting point to the center line of the ball. When pressed, even with the longer shafts, our ball pins take more sideways pressure to bend then the shorter OEM ball pins.

Ours are made of machined tool steel then heat treated. The OEM ones are just cast steel and then finished with no heat treating involved.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:56 PM
SehrSchnell
Intermediate

Thanks...How about a group buy of at least 1 (me)?... hmmm....kidding...
Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I was going to do a sale but the kits I have are $200 for the complete geometry correction kit and deluxe ball joint rebuild kit. The other option is a ball joint extender that attaches to the top of the stock ball joint pin to bring it down. Ours are much stronger and far less expensive. I think they wanted $400 for just the extenders.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:43 AM
SehrSchnell
Intermediate

Maybe I will be the first.... Just placed an order online... Thanks...
Old 05-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by SehrSchnell
Maybe I will be the first.... Just placed an order online... Thanks...
Actually, you are the 10th. Sent out 6 today and you are the 4th tonight. Thats not counting the 3 test sets I installed over the last 2 months.

I got the order and it, along with the others, will be out tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
SehrSchnell
Intermediate

Thanks... was really avoiding the billet arms and am ready to go lower.

jim
Old 05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Wow! Another GREAT PRODUCT from Rennbay! Thanks Travis! This is exactly what has been worrying a bunch of us running with lowered ride heights - even after rebuilding the arms!

hhmmm..... interesting avatar.....
Old 05-01-2004, 10:48 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Travis

Would one of the six be mine?

Thanks for the kind words about my truck, I do need to get some pictures to post. Watch for the new trailer that matches the truck at a track near you soon.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Winslow,
Yours was one of the first out the door. You should be getting it on Monday.

And YES!!!! Get some pictures up of the truck. That was by far the coolest "non-porsche" at Hershey!! Second place was Matt Olde's "4 wheel launch" rental with the "extra" insurance.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:52 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Travis, would there be any problem using the geometry upgrade kit with stock ride height until the car is lowered sometime down the road?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Dave E
Pro

Good product and reasonably priced too, but what about the change in the tie rod geometry? It would be good to have a way to lower that joint back to a stock geometry relationship as well.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Jason,
No, the kit should never be used on a stock ride highth car. If you use the kit on a car that is not lowered you are in essence causing the binding problem and not fixing it. It is ONLY for cars that are lowered and would cause problems on those that are not.

Dave,
We have thought about making a tie rod drop link. We researched the drop links that are available for other cars (mostly the Ford Mustang). What we found is that the "bump steer" effect on an angled arm is much higher when the arm itself is shorter (as in the case of the Ford Mustang). Basically what you get is a slight toe in/out change when the car is turned because of the decreasing angle of the tie rod. The longer the tie rod the less that will change.
At a 1.5" drop over the length of the Porsche 944 tie rod, the amount of change is hardly noticeable. It is not important enough to constitute the safety issues in using a drop link from the spindle to the tie rod. There is a lot of pressure on that joint during hard cornering and I just down trust a bolt on extension.
If someone was truly interested in correcting that my suggestion would be to have your tie rods modified with a welded riser somewhere in the middle. That way you are still connecting to the spindle at the strongest point and attaching to the steering rack with one solid piece.
For the Porsche 944, I personally feel that a bump steer type correction would be done on a custom, case by case basis. The normal, every day driver , or even autox-er would not even be able to tell much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Rennbay / Geometry Correction Ball Joint Kits