944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 944 heater not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Nolan944
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 heater not working

AC blows good and cold. Heater was working but then just stopped. Replaced the fuse, did nothing. Had an electrician test some of the wiring and he said it is all working.

Is there a relay for the heater blower? Defroster obviously doesn't work either. Could it just be the points on the switch needs cleaning?

Thanks everyone.

-Chris
Old 03-03-2017, 04:36 PM
jspearin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the blower dead or is it not blowing hot air? Your comment about the AC working makes me think the blower is working and the air is just not heating up.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Instructor

I'm a realitive newb. So take this with a grain of salt....

If your blower is working (on early cars the blower and A/C fans are seperate) and just no heat is forthcoming I'd first check your heater control valve.... Does it move the white switch/lever when you move the tempature from cold to hot?

The H.C.V. Is located on the back of the engine, over the bell housing, between the manifold and firewall.....

Sorry if this is basic info.....

If blower is not working, your choices are

Switch
Relays
Fuses
Bad wires

FYI there are relays behind the glove box that may be the problem.... It was behind one of my multiple heater blower issue.

Good Luck!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369; 03-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:21 AM
Nolan944
5th Gear

Originally Posted by jspearin
Is the blower dead or is it not blowing hot air? Your comment about the AC working makes me think the blower is working and the air is just not heating up.

First off, thanks you for the reply. No, the blower for the heater does not turn on at all. The AC blower does work.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Nolan944
5th Gear

[QUOTE=1096369;14002227]I'm a realitive numb. So take this with a grain of salt....

If your blower is working (on early cars the blower and A/C fans are seperate) and just no heat is forthcoming I'd first check your heater control valve.... Does it move the white switch/lever when you move the tempature from cold to hot?

The H.C.V. Is located on the back of the engine, over the bell housing, between the manifold and firewall.....

Sorry if this is basic info.....

If blower is not working, your choices are

Switch
Relays
Fuses
Bad wires

FYI there are relays behind the glove box that may be the problem.... It was behind one of my multiple heater

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the details. I am not all that knowledgeable about these cars yet. I have not owned it long enough haha.
I am thinking it could be the relay but I'm not sure which relay it is. Maybe you could enlighten me? I could just order one and try that out.
The blower is currently not working for the heater. So when you turn the **** on the heater, nothing happens. I changed out the fuse and that didn't help. I don't think it's the wires so I'm assuming it's either the switch or the relay. Like I said I'm just not sure which relay it is. I haven't been able to narrow it down through a google search.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Ok.... First thing I would do is verify your blower is good.... I jumped
Mine directly to the battery with alligator clips to the resistor on top of the blower motor..... Mine ran fine.... So on to the switch and relays.....
(I've never run a multimeter.... But it would be your friend!)

My switch was obviously bad so I replaced that first..... But ultimately the A/C cut off relay behind the glove box was the issue..... It is the large one, not the small one.... (Part number is in my link below)

Here is a link to my thread, that has the correct relay.... But dont forget the one in the relay panel as well.....

Here is the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-resistor.html

Sorry I can't be more help.... Electrical problem are hit or miss in these cars....... Perhaps someone who actually knows what they are doing will chime in.....

Good luck !
Fred

Also..... Don't try one thing, and move on..... Try a repair, and if it doesn't work..... Put it back the way it was..... That way you are not possibly compounding problems! (Ask me how I know!) take pics of the original locations of relays.... You will forget what goes where......

Quick Reply: 83 944 heater not working