Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks great! I'm not a big fan of blue cars.... But I think you may have something there!

It sounds like the dupli over plastidip s the way to go!

On a side note..... Has anyone replaced the plastic molding around the sun roof.... If so where did you find it???

Mine is a broken and sun damaged mess.... I tried clamping and glueing but it was less then successful..... I'm currently am thinking of pulling it off and running with out it.... The felt gasket is also long gone.... From what I can tell they dont really keep rain out as much as limit wind whistle.... Any bright ideas that don't cost hundreds of dollars???

Thanks!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369; 03-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1096369
That looks great! I'm not a big fan of blue cars.... But I think you may have something there!

It sounds like the dupli over plastidip s the way to go!
I'm pretty impressed, and think I'll probably pull the trigger on doing the rest of the car as soon as I have the time to do it right. I kind of wish this were a darker blue- I've been drooling on the original Copenhagen Blue that was offered early in the 944 run!

Originally Posted by 1096369
On a side note..... Has anyone replaced the plastic molding around the sun roof.... Mine is a broken and sun damaged mess.... I tried clamping and glueing but it was less then successful..... I'm currently am thinking of pulling it off and running with out it.... The felt gasket is also long gone.... From what I can tell they dont really keep rain out as much as limit wind whistle.... Any bright ideas that don't cost hundreds of dollars???
Check out the replacements from Only944 here: http://only944.com/partscatalog/only/sunroofseal/ They're not OE, but I've heard they're absolutely OE-quality.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Instructor

You Sir, are the man! For $67 I am in!

I am 90% sure I'm gonna dip mine..... Which is a $500 parts car (ok... Now $2500 after work and parts to get it running and roadworthy!) it was a Florida car so no rust... (And the Blessed God of Galvanization!)
But the paint is severely sun damaged, particularly on one side.... So until I can afford a real professional paint job.... I think this may be a damn good alternative to doing a half assed "Earl Shive" paint job!

When ya get yours done..... Pics or it didn't happen!!!

Thanks!
Fred
Old 03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
kings944
Track Day

Got some new stuff to try today.

Was at home depot and they only had plasti dip in black and white so instead I got a can each of the following.

Rustoleum peelable primer- Anyone try this?

The can says "only been tested to work with rust oleum spray paint"

I wonder if that includes their flexidip? Although I guess its cool if you can spray over it with regular rustoleum. That really gives you some color options.

I also got rust-oleum felxi dip Gloss Top coat.

And Flexidip in grey.

Really wanting to do my red 944 in a different color but hate the look of different color door jams etc.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:11 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it! Do it
​​​​​
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by kings944

Really wanting to do my red 944 in a different color but hate the look of different color door jams etc.
Mine was red, did the jambs too, just a little more masking.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Instructor

I'm thinking of matte black with a coat of clear.....

But.... Just found "Black Cherry", interesting.... Looks pretty close to my cars "Garnet Red"! I just ordered a can to try as a test!

Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Ok, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I've thought about this a bit, and I now can't decide what to do. The texture on the dupli over plasti job on the sunroof is a lot rougher than I think I'm up for now that I've lived with it for a few days. And the current paint is crap, so going back to it isn't really a plus, at which point I'm starting to think that I should maybe just do a DIY paint job instead, since the price and prep isn't that different. Ugh. Too many options!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Here's my take, my $0.02, one person on the internet's useless opinion....

I've personally seen much smoother finishes spraying dip than what I've done with cans. They do have a new "pro-line" series that is another level smoother but requires a $300 gun instead of the $160 gun.

So.... for a more finished look I'd say you were in for a min. of ~$350-$450 initial investment (that's a base hvlp sprayer and 3 gallons of dip). (I've found I enjoy this goofy stuff as entertainment and thus it's $200-$300 to do another since I play with pearls).

If you don't have access to a big compressor (which has been my own sticking point) that's ~$800-$1k initial investment (compressor, gun, paint).

Personally I generally do every bit as much prep as one might do to spray regular paint so that's a wash....

At some point I'll try out spraying regular paint as an expansion of my car playing but I've had trouble breaking over that initial investment and comfort zone so far..... As far as not returning it to original, I wouldn't worry about that, the cars that had awful paint jobs I treated the prep like I would have to spray acrylic, sanded, bondo'd, etc. The last couple started multiple colors. I just happened to use Dip as it's better "paint job" much like our OP. And if you wanted to change the color after you don't HAVE to peel it off, you could just as well spray over it (for 2-3 jobs according to DYC).

Last edited by sobamaflyer; 03-20-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: oh yeah, on already bad paint
Old 03-23-2017, 01:31 AM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which would you rather do. Wrap your car or spray it with Plasti Dip?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 PM
kings944
Track Day

An update of my product testing.

I sprayed my lap top with 4 coats of red Flexidip. It looked good. I then sprayed 4 coats of flexidip gloss coat and it looks amazing. It matches perfectly my red 944 that at some point was painted by I assume macco so I am not sure its exactly guards red.

One thing I don't like is that I did this on Saturday and still today it is just a bit tacky. Very minor however it is a dust collector. Very easily removed with a wet paper towel [rung out] but still cant imagine what my car will look like after sitting in the garage a few days. Are people having this issue with plasti dip glosses?

2nd things.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.

I sprayed my lap tap in my garage with the door open. I layed the lap top on a card board box on the lip on my garage that meets my driveway. So I essentially thought I was outside.

I sprayed 8 total coats leaving each coat to dry for 5 minutes. The smell was pretty strong but not crazy.

20 minutes after I was done my throat started bothering me. 5 days later I went to the doctor to find out I probably have a chemical pneumonia, and if I waited another couple days I probably would have needed to go to the hospital.

I have of course researched chemical pneumonia AFTER I got it but it doesn't seem to be that uncommon.

I have also of course researched breathers AFTER I got sick. So please guys even if you think you don't need it. Invest in a 20 dollar breather. Could save you tons of many and health concerns later.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Holy Crap! Sorry you got poisoned! I usually wear a breather but not always, will certainly make it always now.

Tacky: Yes, dip thing.... I have a bottle of dip protectant that makes it slick, I reapply every few weeks. I've read turtle-wax ICE spray is the same stuff but haven't used it yet to try.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:17 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by kings944
An update of my product testing.

I sprayed my lap top with 4 coats of red Flexidip. It looked good. I then sprayed 4 coats of flexidip gloss coat and it looks amazing. It matches perfectly my red 944 that at some point was painted by I assume macco so I am not sure its exactly guards red.

One thing I don't like is that I did this on Saturday and still today it is just a bit tacky. Very minor however it is a dust collector. Very easily removed with a wet paper towel [rung out] but still cant imagine what my car will look like after sitting in the garage a few days. Are people having this issue with plasti dip glosses?

2nd things.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AND SHOULDN'T BE TAKEN LIGHTLY.

I sprayed my lap tap in my garage with the door open. I layed the lap top on a card board box on the lip on my garage that meets my driveway. So I essentially thought I was outside.

I sprayed 8 total coats leaving each coat to dry for 5 minutes. The smell was pretty strong but not crazy.

20 minutes after I was done my throat started bothering me. 5 days later I went to the doctor to find out I probably have a chemical pneumonia, and if I waited another couple days I probably would have needed to go to the hospital.

I have of course researched chemical pneumonia AFTER I got it but it doesn't seem to be that uncommon.

I have also of course researched breathers AFTER I got sick. So please guys even if you think you don't need it. Invest in a 20 dollar breather. Could save you tons of many and health concerns later.
Holy crude man sorry to hear. Get better soon. Yep I would recommend a breather even though a lot of video is out there showing professionals going without one. I don't know if anyone has notices but typically paint guys are a little off. All the fumes they breath in does have an affect.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:25 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by dmjames
Ok, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I've thought about this a bit, and I now can't decide what to do. The texture on the dupli over plasti job on the sunroof is a lot rougher than I think I'm up for now that I've lived with it for a few days. And the current paint is crap, so going back to it isn't really a plus, at which point I'm starting to think that I should maybe just do a DIY paint job instead, since the price and prep isn't that different. Ugh. Too many options!
One thing to note, it takes a fair amount of practice to spray plasti dip the way you want. If you have texture and it isn't smooth, you may not be spraying close enough. When you spray further out, the dip starts to solidify before it reaches the car, which produces texture. That texture collects the dust more easily. If you want another option besides painting. You can always Vinyl the entire car. I have a video of that too. Comes out pretty great, which no texture issues, no runs in the paint, no fumes. It only cost me $110 in Vvivid wrap

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by jr10cross
You can always Vinyl the entire car. I have a video of that too. Comes out pretty great, which no texture issues, no runs in the paint, no fumes. It only cost me $110 in Vvivid wrap

Cool! Must watch that later, I've been interested in trying this myself after seeing a chrome Audi go by a few weeks ago :-D

Quick Reply: You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!