Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kings944
Couple of questions.

Did you use one of those clip on spray handles to make the process a bit easier?

Did you tape window seals? I think your vid says you didn't tape anything? Not the spoiler or anything?

Spaying the hood. Did you spray right to left/ fender to fender. Or top/down windshield to bumper?

And sorry if you already answered did you spray each panel then move to the next or put one coat on a side/car and come back?
* I have one of those handles but I didn't use it this time. There work okay, but the can triggers have come a long way and my finger doesn't seem to get fatigued. I get more feedback as far a spraying consistency by using the can directly.

* Yep I didn't tape anything. I just rob off the over spray, but I wouldn't totally recommend it. Sometimes when you tap off sections and you don't remove the tape while the dip is still wet, removing the tape will remove plasti dip from sections that you didn't intend it to. I'd probably recommend taping sections though. it can take a while to rub everything away.

* I actually did both. I think windshield to bumper is best though. You just want to make sure you keep you angle extremely accurate with the surface of the hood. Follow the curves and don't tilt the can because it will spray more product on the side closest to the surface, producing lines or striping.

* I did sections of the car at a time. I started with the back, then the roof, then sides but stopped at the fenders, then hood, and finally fenders. I didn't want to do the fenders before the hood and risk touching wet dip.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jr10cross
* * Yep I didn't tape anything. I just rob off the over spray, but I wouldn't totally recommend it. Sometimes when you tap off sections and you don't remove the tape while the dip is still wet, removing the tape will remove plasti dip from sections that you didn't intend it to. I'd probably recommend taping sections though. it can take a while to rub everything away.
-TIP-
Tape about half an inch onto the windows/lights/etc. - you won't waste product on the spots you don't want and [more likely] you won't have a dusting on those large surfaces that's harder to take off. The more dip you have on the easier it is to peel. The half an inch gives you enough to get an edge to peel back.

If you do want a hard tape line (like stripes) spray the edge of the tape one more time last and peel that tape back quickly while it's still wet, it will come off without peeling back dip you want to keep.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM
kings944
Track Day

Great! I am sure I will be back with more questions.

But...

The best part of my day so far....finding a 100 dollar Lowes card I got a couple years ago!!

The project has been funded!!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Ok, the sunroof experiment was a colossal failure. 95% due to my own ineptitude, 5% frustration with the dupli product.

I put the coats on WAY too thick, and ran out a can in only 3 coats. Because I sprayed it so thick, it pooled a bit in the corners, and didn't get a proper even coating either. The color looks great, and I think if I did the spraying correctly, it'd be a solid result.

I didn't mask the seal around the sunroof since I figured I'd just peel it off after the fact, but it was a colossal pain in the *** to clean up. Bit of advice- mask that seal. It'll take all of like 3 minutes, and it'll save you a good 10-15 minutes after the fact.

While I was cleaning off the seal, I found that the 'custom wrap' stuff was super-easy to rub off the surface I wanted to keep if you catch it at the edges at all. One of the complaints I've seen about the Dupli Color stuff is that it's not as 'sticky' to the surface as Plasti Dip, and my test supports that. The main surface is nice and solid feeling, but the edges were pretty easy to mar.

I went ahead and peeled the stuff off the sunroof, and I'm going to do a followup test in the next few days- This time around will be a base coat of black Plasti Dip, then several finish coats of the Dupli Color. Hopefully this will turn out better... I want a blue 944!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kings944
Great! I am sure I will be back with more questions.

But...

The best part of my day so far....finding a 100 dollar Lowes card I got a couple years ago!!

The project has been funded!!
Same here on the questions, and badass on the gift card!
Old 03-15-2017, 01:57 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

dust those first 2 coats dude! You should see plenty of body color left on the first, this stuff will fuse together and start holding hands pretty well but you don't want the early ones "wet".

You are scrubbing it clean and doing a prep with something like windex first right?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
dust those first 2 coats dude! You should see plenty of body color left on the first, this stuff will fuse together and start holding hands pretty well but you don't want the early ones "wet".

You are scrubbing it clean and doing a prep with something like windex first right?
Yup. I dusted the first couple coats just like you described- once I got past those, I got impatient or stupid or something. Like I said, 95% ineptitude. :/

And yes, I did scrub things down beforehand.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

LOL.... then you are on the right track just working through technique growing pains. The next go will be twice as good :-)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

LOL.... then you are on the right track just working through technique growing pains. The next go will be twice as good :-)

Yeah, I figured I'd go through a few cans before I figured it out.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Funny related story (just in case it's any way related)...

The first time I did one of these I learned the hard way that dip in tee total no way sticks to a hint of moisture. We'd washed the car Friday after work and thought we did an epic dry job including using my air compressor and leaf blower to blow out the cracks. Sprayed it that night.

The next morning there were half a dozen places like by the door handles, under the side window trim, etc that there was this new small bubble. We tried massaging it down with mineral spirits to varying success. Turned out there was some small amount of water left in the crevices and it ruined it anywhere it was. We found out soon/later the cause and had to respray that one.

Ever since I've been in the habit of heavily washing the car at least a day (if not 2-3) before, drying it then with the blowers. Then I do my prep the night before and spray a last time with the windex right before I do the spray job.

Just food for thought..... wondering if that felt sunroof seal was holding a little moisture?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:03 PM
kings944
Track Day

Funny related story (just in case it's any way related)...

The first time I did one of these I learned the hard way that dip in tee total no way sticks to a hint of moisture. We'd washed the car Friday after work and thought we did an epic dry job including using my air compressor and leaf blower to blow out the cracks. Sprayed it that night.

The next morning there were half a dozen places like by the door handles, under the side window trim, etc that there was this new small bubble. We tried massaging it down with mineral spirits to varying success. Turned out there was some small amount of water left in the crevices and it ruined it anywhere it was. We found out soon/later the cause and had to respray that one.

Ever since I've been in the habit of heavily washing the car at least a day (if not 2-3) before, drying it then with the blowers. Then I do my prep the night before and spray a last time with the windex right before I do the spray job.

Just food for thought..... wondering if that felt sunroof seal was holding a little moisture?
Great tip on washing/cleaning

For practice i have been dipping everything.. Most recently my lap top. I tried the rustoleum version and it worked great.

My car needed a new sunroof so I will be practicing on the old one next
Old 03-17-2017, 01:29 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Progress! Did 4 thin layers of black Plasti Dip this time, then 4 thin layers of Custom Wrap, then 2 of Dupli Color's glossifier. I know, more coats than is probably needed, but I was feeling gun-shy after the last attempt. Here's the result in crappy garage lighting, and I'll post a sunlight shot tomorrow:
Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that look great! very very awesome! I was actually thinking of trying the DupliColor glossifier, how did it spray? did you like it? Give me all the gritty details
Old 03-17-2017, 09:44 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Very nice! looking forward to the sunlight pics
Old 03-17-2017, 11:53 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

I'll take another shot or two later in the day when it's brighter, but this is more representative of the color than the garage shot under my crap fluorescent lights. (Someday those will be replaced with LEDs, but for the time being...)

So this was 4 coats of black, then 4 of the metallic blue, then 2 of glossifier. I'm not convinced the glossifier actually did anything at all, but I could see needing to let the blue under it cure better beforehand, or maybe just needing more coats.

The Performix stuff seems to have a lot more 'texture' to it- when I did the Dupli by itself the previous time, it had a smooth, somewhat tacky finish. This time, it feels more like a rubberized grip, and that extra texture could be interfering with the glossifier actually doing its job. That said, the finish seems MUCH more durable- it didn't just want to leap off the panel at the edges, so that's a plus. And if the texture change is the cost for a better coat, I'm ok with that.

I'm not sure that it needs as many coats as I did assuming you put on the right amount per coat. I know I was a bit gun-shy after the runny mess the last time, and it feels like I have about half a can of both the Performix and Dupli products now. It might need a little more blue to even out the coat, but I'll decide later today once it's gotten more time to cure and be in the sun.

Quick Reply: You can PlastiDip your whole car with spray cans for under $100 and it look awesome!