Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 944 interior restoration

Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 AM
The3Bs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 interior restoration

I'm the third owner of an 83 944. Most of it's life it was babied and auto crossed in northern CA. The second owner tried it for a year then sold it to me. I use it as a daily driver. I'm doing some early homework on having the interior restored, and looking for guidance on San Francisco area shops.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The3Bs
I'm doing some early homework on having the interior restored, and looking for guidance on San Francisco area shops.
What do you want to do?

Carpets...find a better condition used set, or there are a few vendors [Appbiz and Classic9 come to mind] that sell new [non-formed] sets.

Seats...find a better condition used set, or look to your favorite vinyl/leather upholsterer to recover yours.

Dash...not sure if Porsche still has any NOS inventory. Someone else here may have more information.

Best of luck.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

appbiz makes a nice carpet kit and it is priced well. easy to fit.
seats - you might check with Lart's Porsche Parts as he offers reupholstered seats for a decent price.

dash - porsche has no stock left so you can get yours recovered locally or buy a dash kit from classic9 leather shop (google it)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM
The3Bs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all. Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of T-shirts, scars, and a healthy vocabulary working on my first Porsche, a 924; three '83 944s; and a '73 911 Targa. My current '83 944 has a strong engine and power train, a so-so body, and an interior needing a major restoration. I have two Recaro seats that probably require major overhaul or replacement. The carpeting needs replacement everywhere. The dash is the usual, and requires replacement. The original Blaupunkt radio needs replacement. The original instruments are OK, except for the clock.
I'm at the point where I'd like to write a check to a reputable shop in the San Francisco Bay area that can re-do the interior. Absent finding one, I welcome all your help in sourcing the various parts (carpets, etc), so I can do the work myself.
Regards.
Thu3Bs
Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM
kervracing446
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another few spots to look for interior parts:
http://www.jageng.com/garage9/
http://www.classic9leathershop.com/
Old 02-17-2017, 01:27 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
appbiz makes a nice carpet kit and it is priced well. easy to fit.
Is this the carpet set you put in your car?

If you had a choice between a nice used OE formed set and a new Appbiz unformed set, which one would you install, and why?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

No. I was going to buy their kit based on how good it looked in my friend's 911 but I ended up making my own carpet kit for my car out of a very similar material.

As far as "nice used OE set", I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen 944 carpet worth removing and reusing in another car. I looked for 10 years. I live 30 minutes from Lart's Parts and would check out the carpet in a lot of the cars he's done in that time so I could get any set I wanted...didn't find any worth getting. Hence appbiz and then making my own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 83 944 interior restoration