Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Removing rear wheel nut

Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing rear wheel nut

I need to remove one of my rear wheel hubs (so I can get at and remove the remains of a broken drive shaft bolt... can't get it from the inside so I'm going in from the other side)... but I just can't get that 36mm nut off.

I've tried using a 30" breaker bar, with another couple of feet of steel tube for more leverage (yup, not safe, not a good idea...) and it's not budging. I've used a blowtorch to heat the nut, and it still isn;t moving.

My question: can one of those handheld impact drivers deliver enough torque to help here? i.e. this kind of thing: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-...PRUaAsEt8P8HAQ

If not, I guess I'll take it to a garage who can loosen it for me, then have them re-tighten it less aggressively
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently broke 2 1/2" breaker bars (held in a 3' long steel pipe) with no success. I gave in and took it to a general mechanic shop 1/2 mile away with the wheel cap off. They loosened it then put it back on less tight for me in about 2 minutes without the car ever leaving the ground.

I had it back in my garage with that $#%%&$ nut off about 20 minutes later.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:59 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Battery impact tool, probably not. Air tool, yes. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks fellas,

I won't waste any more of my time on it, will let someone with the right tools have a crack...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing rear wheel nut