944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Help! Replace Power Steering Return Hose on 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:02 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! Replace Power Steering Return Hose on 944

Hey Guys, need some advise before I dig into this. My 84' 944 has a power steering leak, seems to be coming where the return hose connects to the steering fluid dispenser. I bought one of the new kits to replace the hose, clamps and connector from 944online. Can anyone provide and tips on replacing the hose????

1) Can I get to the bottom hose clamp simply with drive on ramps?
2) Or, do I need to remove the front wheel once the car is jacked up, not using the ramps?
3) Also the new hose kit seems to take a different route than the original OEM hose?

Any other things to look for when replacing????

Thanks as always

-d
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Drive on ramps should give you plenty of room. The power steering pump is kinda hanging over to the side by itself so there's enough room to work around it. I had thought about buying the same kit but opted to hold off and figured I would do a few different things all at the same time later on. I know the kit takes a different routing, probably just to keep those hoses from rubbing/leaking (I know the return hose is notorious for seeping). Since you're opening the system and taking the hoses off, it wouldn't hurt to get the pump seal kit and put that in there while you're at it (unless your pump is good shape). The kit is like $25 and it's super simple to take apart and reseal. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:03 PM
GaPorsche
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks landen
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Vintageant
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is PS fluid supposed to weep from the plastic PS drain plug on the driver side of the PS rack? It's new and appears to have a minute pin hole in it. Is this normal?

Quick Reply: Help! Replace Power Steering Return Hose on 944