Video of it up and running, steady idle
https://youtu.be/w2jAlnzxTgY

Next:
tackle spongy brake pedal and clutch pedal
Old 02-02-2017, 12:01 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Last edited by jr10cross; 02-06-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:16 AM
wessideg
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A bit off subject, but here I go!

Thanks for taking the time to document this, good stuff! I thought it may be interesting for me to add: I purchased a 1985.5 944 last year, only 64,000 miles. She runs great, but needed a bit of attention. Most noteably, the fuel filter I replaced was date stamped 2/1985!! 31 YEARS and the first fuel filter change is amazing!

Wes

Originally Posted by jr10cross
I actually got it up and running tonight. Just didn't have enough fuel in the gas tank after replacing the fuel line, pump, and adding reference sensor. Here is what she sounds like: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP_Z3m1BEek/
Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by wessideg
Thanks for taking the time to document this, good stuff! I thought it may be interesting for me to add: I purchased a 1985.5 944 last year, only 64,000 miles. She runs great, but needed a bit of attention. Most noteably, the fuel filter I replaced was date stamped 2/1985!! 31 YEARS and the first fuel filter change is amazing!

Wes
Nice! It's amazing how durable these cars actually are. What other car goes that long on the original fuel pump. I have buddies with 05 F-150s that are on their second or third replacement and it's not an easy job.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:08 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

They don't build them like they used to, that's for sure. Over the 9 years I've owned my 944 I've had quite a few issues out of it, but they were all due to age or neglect from previous owners, overall it's been a great car.

But wow, good job man, she sounds great! After having sat for so long you got her up and running pretty quick. What else is on the docket to get her back on the road?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:46 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
They don't build them like they used to, that's for sure. Over the 9 years I've owned my 944 I've had quite a few issues out of it, but they were all due to age or neglect from previous owners, overall it's been a great car.

But wow, good job man, she sounds great! After having sat for so long you got her up and running pretty quick. What else is on the docket to get her back on the road?
I totally agree, these have been some of the most neglected cars but they were designed well enough to be resurrected at relatively low cost.

Thanks though, i'll have to admit, things have been coming alone easier than I've expected. I'm currently working on the clutch pedal that's sunk to the floor. I inspected the master cylinder and slave which didnt seem to have any leaks. I noticed there was very little brake fluid in the reservoir. Added fluid and started bleeding when I heard a spray sound. Found a leak behind the Tee splitter in the rear brake section, hard line going to the driver rear brake. Got the sucker off, which wasn't easy, and I have a new line that I have to bind and reinstall. I'm filming everything so there should be a video soon.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:31 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Here is a quick whiteboard animation of resolving the problem I had with the brake and clutch pedal issue. I've done a little research of the entire system itself so I basically explain the whole system. Correct me if I missed something please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z9tRtrGJRE

Last edited by jr10cross; 02-06-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: embed youtube video
Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 AM
jr10cross
Racer

So, there's been more progress on the car. I've attacked the rear brake line leak and the dead clutch pedal. The video features a way to bleed a totally dry clutch that I stumbled on. I never found this method on the internet. Surprisingly, the master and slave seem to be working and I found out .... ...... ...... the clutch still works! Check out the video to see the rest of my progress.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've enjoyed keeping up with the project, glad you got it moving man.

I'm in a similar spot myself...my 944 is currently sitting in the driveway because the main brake supply line going to the tee is corroded through and both rear lines are in bad shape too so I'm looking at what it's going to take to replace all three of them and the tee. I'm thinking about just splicing the supply line and putting in a new section so I don't have to run a completely new line all the way to the front. I'm going to get all my stuff from Fedhill and make the flares and lines so splicing shouldn't be a problem, however, my biggest problem is clearance. How far off the ground do you have your 944? I jacked mine up as far as I could with my jack, but it's still not enough room to effectively work under it. Also, do you think it would be worth it just to redo all the brakes lines while I have the tool from Fedhill instead of splicing? I've never fooled with brake lines much so any insight you could give would be great....sorry to thread jack.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 AM
944 porsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! I too resurrected an 85.5 with 60,000 original miles this past summer that had been sitting outside for 5-7 years. New belts, fuel pump, brake booster, coolant lines and rebuilt DME and she has been my daily driver for the last 8 months. These cars are honestly straightforward and fun to trouble shoot.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by sweetskillsrk
I've enjoyed keeping up with the project, glad you got it moving man.

I'm in a similar spot myself...my 944 is currently sitting in the driveway because the main brake supply line going to the tee is corroded through and both rear lines are in bad shape too so I'm looking at what it's going to take to replace all three of them and the tee. I'm thinking about just splicing the supply line and putting in a new section so I don't have to run a completely new line all the way to the front. I'm going to get all my stuff from Fedhill and make the flares and lines so splicing shouldn't be a problem, however, my biggest problem is clearance. How far off the ground do you have your 944? I jacked mine up as far as I could with my jack, but it's still not enough room to effectively work under it. Also, do you think it would be worth it just to redo all the brakes lines while I have the tool from Fedhill instead of splicing? I've never fooled with brake lines much so any insight you could give would be great....sorry to thread jack.
I have the car about 2 feet off the ground. My stands are on the lowest part of the rear control arms. I also position my floor jack on the transmission as a backup in case anything slips or goes wrong. Having the jack stands on that lowest part really puts the car up a bit, but be cautious because their isn't a huge amount of surface to put the stands on.

Again have a backup like the floor jack on the transmission.

I really like the pre-sized steel brake lines I got from Orielly's. They have quite a few different sizes and you don't have to flare anything, just get the size you need, plug and play, and lines are like $8. As far as replacing the entire system, I'd say go for it, wouldn't hurt. Is it necessary? I noticed that the rest of my lines were in pretty good condition, so I think they hold up ok.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by 944 porsche
Great thread! I too resurrected an 85.5 with 60,000 original miles this past summer that had been sitting outside for 5-7 years. New belts, fuel pump, brake booster, coolant lines and rebuilt DME and she has been my daily driver for the last 8 months. These cars are honestly straightforward and fun to trouble shoot.
Oh that makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. Hope to join you soon!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:01 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Feb. 20, 2017 9:50 a.m.
Update: Car developed a problem where it just would not start, tapping the DME caused it to sputter to a start so I decided to take apart the DME for inspection. Video below is a discussion of the different connectors and transistors of the DME.

and here is a video of her maiden voyage

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey jr10cross,

Thanks for taking the time to video your endeavors! I saved an '84 from the scrap yard and am just getting it "reliable", I'm still finding "new" 32 year old things to break.... But they really are amazing cars! I call mine "the Anti-Christ" particularly when it is miss behaving..... but do love it.... It is an unbelievable road car!

Keep up the good worK!
Fred

P.S. I noticed yours is an 85.5 so it is likely not an issue.... But my '84 had a terrible "death rattle" at idle, around 850 rpm.... I thought It was just bad motor mounts..... I increased the idle to 1150 rpm.... And it completely went away.... Different car now.... And my back teeth are much happier!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by 1096369
Hey jr10cross,

Thanks for taking the time to video your endeavors! I saved an '84 from the scrap yard and am just getting it "reliable", I'm still finding "new" 32 year old things to break.... But they really are amazing cars! I call mine "the Anti-Christ" particularly when it is miss behaving..... but do love it.... It is an unbelievable road car!

Keep up the good worK!
Fred

P.S. I noticed yours is an 85.5 so it is likely not an issue.... But my '84 had a terrible "death rattle" at idle, around 850 rpm.... I thought It was just bad motor mounts..... I increased the idle to 1150 rpm.... And it completely went away.... Different car now.... And my back teeth are much happier!
LOL awesome. I'm glad another one was saved too. I had a friend that named his w124 Adolf because if its frequent issues. Thanks for the encouragement!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $400 purchase - I'm scared but excited